Forced Air Gas Furnace .. Almost Died

qclabrat

That site says on the high side the furnace itself should cost $1400. They guy said $5000-6000 with labor being free because we have the PSEG plan.

Zip code is 07632.
that's complete BS, no furnace, even the Ferrari units, like the Lennox 98% I have cost that much
labor is usually 60-75% of a HVAC job, it actually takes a fair amount of time to do good connecting duct work

qclabrat

You need a new air handler and compressor. It wont be the same size, so ductwork. Recover and recharge a/c

So the first thing to sell somebody something, is to threaten their life for non action.

$150 motor two hours to install
if you are selling the house, consider getting a home inspection, they will check the furnace for cracks with a video snake
yes, you are at the mercy of the service guys for honesty

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Almost the exact same thing happened to me last week.
The timer dial on the toaster quit working, and I burned a batch of toast.
True story.
Luckily no one was injured.

New toaster:
IMG_5165.JPG
I'm going to install it myself.

walter

Fourth Party
If you go with Park, Sleep, Eat & Go home, I believe they will finance it at 0% for x amount of months by just adding it to your monthly bill. They did that for me when they replaced my hot water heater.

viper8315

If you go with Park, Sleep, Eat & Go home, I believe they will finance it at 0% for x amount of months by just adding it to your monthly bill. They did that for me when they replaced my hot water heater.

LOL, nice, I haven't heard that one before. Yes, that is the once nice thing about PSEG, they do have financing. You still end up paying for the loan since their costs are so inflated. Most of my neighbor's dealings with PSEG resulted in the same treatment, overblown estimates. Only one of them went with it for the financing, the rest of us went with independent people and paid substantially less.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the info everyone.

PSEG came this morning and gave an almost $9400 estimate. He says they only carry York and doesn't fit the A/C so they have to replace the A/C. And also line the chimney.

He said it is a huge furnace .. more like a commercial unit.

The guy said something about corrosion in the heat exchange. So I looked it up and seems like rust can be a sign of corrosion in heat exchange. Here are some pictures of rust:

IPHONE-1049.jpg IPHONE-1048.jpg IPHONE-1047.jpg IPHONE-1046.jpg

The house is about 3100 sqft @qclabrat

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

PSEG came this morning and gave an almost $9400 estimate. He says they only carry York and doesn't fit the A/C so they have to replace the A/C. And also line the chimney.

The guy said something about corrosion in the heat exchange. So I looked it up and seems like rust can be a sign of corrosion in heat exchange. Here are some pictures of rust:

View attachment 48083 View attachment 48084 View attachment 48085 View attachment 48086

You rode your furnace at SixMile?

qclabrat

View attachment 48083 View attachment 48084 View attachment 48085 View attachment 48086

I wonder how many people fall for the fact that I'm such a dumb ass I can't retrofit two different makes. So I'll charge you twice as much to fix your problem. Run. I'll PM you with some ideas Jimmy.

also a 3100 home needs a commercial sized unit, wtf

viper8315

As a second source...my private contractor easily made an adapter that joined the brand new heater with my old AC system that still worked OK.

Also, as others mentioned, replace your heater and hot water heater with high efficiency direct vent options so you don't need to line your chimney. You should be able to easily qualify for a $900 rebate back from the state. Head to the websites I linked above for the proper efficiency ratings needed. I replaced my heater and hot water heater because the liner in my chimney failed. I decided to put the $1600 they wanted to fix the chimney towards new equipment that didn't need a chimney...

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks guys. All very good info. We have a different guy coming to take another look. My dad says the chimney line issue was due to furnace compatibility, and not that there was anything wrong with it. According to pSUK guy.

Top Bottom