For my fellow "rim brakers"

Karate Monkey

okay, I see that now, I have the same for the Rascal. 1" suspension forks are hard to get nowadays
What's the black SS you have with the disc brakes?

Just so you know: Paul at Atomic Cycles makes a headset--that will fit old American bikes (read: Schwinn cruisers) with 32.5mm ID--that allows you to use a 1 1/8 threadless fork. Go nuts.

qclabrat

Just so you know: Paul at Atomic Cycles makes a headset--that will fit old American bikes (read: Schwinn cruisers) with 32.5mm ID--that allows you to use a 1 1/8 threadless fork. Go nuts.
interesting, so no good with EU or Asian bikes with 1"?

Karate Monkey

AFAIK, no. "Standard" 1" head tubes are 30mm. The Schwinn size (also used on some early MTBs!) is totally unique.

Even if you found something, I wouldn't use it; a 1 1/8 steerer is 28.6mm, which doesn't leave a whole lot of material for the shoulders of the bearing races (a safe .2mm around for turning clearance leaves .5mm walls). Might survive gentle riding, but not much more. It wouldn't be a catastrophic failure, but it would undoubtedly be an expensive one.

You can get Monark reproductions (made with modern bushings/materials) on eBay, if you're looking for something...different for a euro 1". They take some effort to fit to a non-cruiser, though...I think the manufacturer sells them with an "american" crown race already installed. Throw a drum brake wheel up front for maximum street cred.

mtbiker87

Qclabrat, the black bike is a Soul Cycles Roscoe. They were a small outfit from out west that made only a few models in small runs. The guy who owned the company, Chad, was good dude, but had slowed down in recent years and recently sold out. It's a steel DJ/Urban type of frame. As you can see it has sliding dropouts, and can run either disk or V- Brakes and can take 24" wheels as well. Real versatile bike. I've run it full rigid, with a 100mm fork, and with a 130mm fork. It's awesome at the pump track, rides single track well, even saw duty pulling my kids in their trailer and trail-a-bikes.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
stock up on $10 26r Schwalbe tires at Jenson
Hans Dampf
Nobby Nic
Fat Albert
Damn... I would order a couple for the PiP if it were free shipping. I already ordered a few stuff and nothing I can add to make up to $50

qclabrat

Damn... I would order a couple for the PiP if it were free shipping. I already ordered a few stuff and nothing I can add to make up to $50
I never have that problem, I filled the basket to over $200 then had to return most to get closer to 50, besides shipping is like only $5 if less than 50, with those deals, you're still way ahead, I have enough tires for the next 10 years

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Finally got out for my first spin on my retro Gary Fisher conversion. It's amazing what you can climb with a SS when you don't have the option to shift. Stoked that I cleaned the full loop at Lewis Morris!
17799995_10207684914555957_2293981872276690632_n.jpg

Chris Nordt

Finally got out for my first spin on my retro Gary Fisher conversion. It's amazing what you can climb with a SS when you don't have the option to shift. Stoked that I cleaned the full loop at Lewis Morris!
17799995_10207684914555957_2293981872276690632_n.jpg
Awesome ride, you should try that beast at Harthshorn haha

Top Bottom