Fixing pianos, bikes, and myself **New, now with accordions and concertinas!**

awesome project. do you do house calls for piano tuning? we got one not too long ago that needs some love...

i just got contact info from my kids piano teacher for a tuner - i haven't used him yet, but considering she makes her living with her piano, i assume he is pretty good - i can pass the info along if you'd like.

what is up with the signatures near the serial number?

what is up with the signatures near the serial number?

That was one accepted (but lowbrow) way of keeping track of who serviced a piano, when (typically only uprights, where it is not easily visible). More conscientious technicians used a sheet of paper or business card tacked somewhere in the piano, so to not tank the value of a client's instrument. Would be like your bike mechanic engraving their name in your bike 0_0

A health update:

I've been undergoing physical therapy for the better part of the previous six weeks. I have no inspirational things to add (nor are details wise, per the lawyer)...it sucks, plain and simple. On the plus side, if I lost another 5-7% body fat, I would have ripped abs by now; I can plank for a straight 2 minutes without breaking a [proverbial] sweat. I still need final clearance from the orthopedist to resume cycling. 2 weeks feels like an eternity. My arm and hand both hurt--a doctor acquaintance thinks that there is some shoulder damage, but nothing showed up on the MRI/X-rays...and I don't relish the prospect of having exploratory surgery done to find out, "we can't see anything wrong."

I've had little time to work on the pianos for the past month, between work, physical therapy, and practicing at/for church (mostly, setting up the new organ). The Milton player now needs a ton of attention...the air conditioner sprung a leak during the hottest/most humid days of the month, leading to the insides of the piano being all but saturated (think, 10-15% humidity to 25-30%, all of a sudden). There are hundreds of small, felt-bushing pivots that the parts of the action rotate/slide on; when the humidity of the wood rises, it swells and binds those bushings, leading to sluggish action parts--keys stick down, the hammers return slowly, the jacks don't reset properly, and in extreme cases, the stickers (which actuate the whole shebang), well, stick. There are two ways of fixing the problem: pushing out all the pivot pins, reaming the bushings, and pushing new pins in (time consuming!), or waiting for the humidity of the wood to drop back down, and fix the ones that still struggle. As of right now, it looks like the waiting game shall be played, as the last week came out to be just about a 65 hour work week. On top of that, a sinus infection that won't leave. I'm exhausted.

To keep some interest going here's a teaser for my upcoming bicycle project:

IMG_20170724_183513.jpg

If you've never tried randonneur bars before, make it your mission to give them a shot. Those French dudes figured out comfortable way ahead of the curve.

Bonus pic--an unusually photogenic cat:

IMG_20170216_084201471.jpg

My first ride in almost 4 months:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1134038083

The doctor cleared me to resume normal activities a few days ago, within reason (but he specifically said bicycles were okay!). I doubt I'll be pressing my luck with riding off road any time soon, as my shoulder is still incredibly tender.

The guys on the ride were nice enough not to drop me once they got to any [tiny amount] of elevation, and my stunning lack of cardiovascular fitness showed through. I haven't been on a bicycle in a little more than 2 weeks, and riding the trainer was...mind numbing? Torturous? I'm not sure what the word is, but I think nothing accurately conveys my feeling of running on a hamster wheel; I lasted a whopping 20 minutes spread over 2 days before I had enough (again, all doctor approved...).

cpKhRrDRwKwP8ziehEJPNBtXv5RlS7sNM4rHXQpAkDo24jKkFIIwE-bWDE-uMH8rY4AS7zrtMiBesLmNgLI0qzZxk_gtAMXXwWYbQgdVOiWCzPsGeJF3wfZi5XRSZ1DJfAHpxYqmutScEItgE2QBp6j2yKvtgItvKAEN4CvyXkWvrIoJfq6ngmqiSfUSxmGy0eg2tozgLroe7eA9fJxdVoqen5oYogjuwv0Pm7iTcoeCXNKFaZLh7t3FrOgkBk_1Q91ub1FOycvCDDz-j89MkjcwhWdivVyk1URhHC-xVHYcaxcP5yrib8vlac-y3AEVEs9jXiCSJbf6tJiJrDoPWvciwSRFqX_sQfr6UrdWVSFf_J56FgtycBj4EuK6sQImRH1VnN9xNW4TtBUCQw5TWzp7JGv3dSNo-vchJbFRBv__ETmhhHFBrtgDpNv_nsWVz7kW5U8qATnxaDRV8jdUKvq47NUsC-CkijwdD4gctibE0EP37_IzVycLK6hTxNOCX0xX2jjgLdWkL7hYTqZMSrJP1mPvovfsmQfZ27uRU1qI1B3Tjq3auYR5USeB88kWHHqdVKipCLN4k2-Sfsb1YsksTk6Y5bny9nKNt7HvzG6HYEPxtu0UT1kZXBkaLcCCeQRLTD0f_WlMpKK2WgXnIapixn-3vpfX9hMXR34LC-j0eQ=w842-h631-no

(the bike in question)
At any rate, I survived, with minimal stopping and waiting for moi.

My project bike is moving forward, meanwhile:

ppe8slcCgTOKX960Z1vmhknkc-N0oQFDQYc_XgXbPyycN1kjxJKBl2A-n_O7q0ZVdh3GjYzT2z25Fcex5C8c6EM5VbPG-F4mMQUahS8MExWqcC83GMr0wcFx3muGsNDRLjhxZVllr6LNOy95pGZi5-WRnebmKGICPnCyMLEmR-hdyIRrvzybB-xc3aVeM7ABMqM7s4n99bGAlJjDRNye5IZ404rxxiKnqsSU09sffeS_e_Sh_8tAAl-FdPF9RrD5eiwLJWjItg2w1Kq4M2X1GKZs1KxKT4twajIVsOXCEl0rCuDzaZyuisxjhxRK5Emin-u0KRvYP2prXeQQX0wCCfczjJqPztzYuPwr02nS7w96ENpZf_ZUHtDnf2pWd_ImdJWlUDWm6Fsr4nHPa4JR0rhnOF_CG7v8F9BrfG9QF74NzVah99vtXtOeC1NKVJUVGqYFSXJTNCmjvYCGNp2A8DyBp7xPQemUWFg0E_CwJDdfhH-Ch4cRv6r8K163vZz8NvZ9y2MWJINP1-vz2GeT0vtXGzvhx2iSDMPiSRL1laWwdzgdveNKfOi14IffO_GL_XSxDpdNeFz_0RHqo_RkA-JGOGD07rzQJwhQ-FHqV676W7WAz9KE_yBgLufHiuxX8LcwX5G79c6r5n8Ce3-m1xkfRSq7hhRgspAMeC6fJs8PLQ=w842-h631-no

H8tLkjqy7zDxqJJHc6YCIpbHjxr4H-2eh6gVL2l92reC4G9Zmi2eRx7Vb4e9hjZ7eAx6x7xtgpOMqa9VyTX22JnUsTdaKJipbLqK3WgRKE8O58n4YPB39JbGryFcGhFzBuRvGXhcZ2la-uDGDk3Rhk_7HfjW-bN-_ApvUBRTQMohdzbikhNBikp2H_fkvwD4GqejhdxxnvPg7cP0nTRg0qb3hrg3-zO_j7xhSr8dqV8WVyxzi2NeN1afxnCZ14FfnfqUg3-hl67MPJEc0y76NigVEZxeMne4uOR5VrJVhJOcVokxAqEJgKWE3Z_JnUNOkSeoIBADXwm0Nn4VvMiWM030vRNv6sgnXXey3rygJZKo_W4--RGDtIHzohYd3fCftkSfn5C4ZXA2A5fj7nM7N8gwArnE0iF9ijNHMNCKcTeQ59gGrlUv1KytI2_mQScQez5kOMHTK7OJRmRgP3pnN8rS_DmYdoD-mtpDeAwhgEz8slSKoe4_4oq0wNuUAMx4RDfMHx6LxqL__qd-pqCmz8tSDxj3wwE0lkVEV3GliuVFgPkqDkt5t_zYqSsVNiERkYyd4yxjM1KQx7nyEb8GANv4Z7x7g_MPdpD6o1S61IBiD64HpTkThesf7B4tk-HaCDoCuz-HgNTtsU_Lk7IGqB6kmICF7H7YIq2JMFR4TYJmzQ=w842-h631-no

EbUYJ0pcZBjuIehRSds8FH0u3tQZLOIxNHhwHS4Y26boYTyvwX1kHfEcNIDABJzhNFCWcvnHRZeDDKP0ihHRuwyJPDRNxdVWNBHi0caU_kW5NEzBEzPYA8g_Dek15MrAH6axw6RLw-yckah5LhPgJXq3ObE38YJRra07jyK_4B0MiNNcZv5OAdBJ5tWqb4eWSpYGLTqAuSM6ZLEqbt-gabeR46D5yB1HQVuY7__eQX3FV604P-O5L6nykDK7j49wELoxFeGvRBMsDjFwKgSIFuClS9HySMP7tRktcHw-h1_klegcKJTMCbl27S9INrKqZB8pGrOUhqyQF_15VIqNs9oH0TdPfubHnHe_XMAVCLOxa0OiIdCbKq3rKm0Mw_EVyOoGLaevp67y55EgJaQAGCJhdGPZPQ3F_lJ8cmuRRbQupuwC6W6RxQh74ko3yx5SYPLewC9AMY0NkNt3VHySGvedZA4urW25b_Rri2gBTCb86Hby2KBGiAHmD_tfXLTbh23yPMUGdZszCeH2msRToSTZPpirfWMcI0HEwOFhZU2RoOJ3dAlfyuKUBoW0abYXxdwU4SlZAw8A5jc94UxEuZjpyNYcjtxhaEbq6cm6zK7UHGin3zUfoHjD3et_utJo7OT8Z5u3Lt5CkQ-m49TC0ChfHA4GA__Er4srDZZGhRGepw=w474-h631-no

(Franken-derailleur)
What started life as an unloved frame got blasted/clearcoated at the Color Factory, after a less-than-successful attempt at stripping the factory paint job. It really wasn't terribly expensive, and the price was right for what is destined to be a beater. Keen eyed viewers will note that the front derailleur is a bottom-pull road model, and the frame is top-pull only--this will be remedied...soon?

The rear derailleur is a fine pedigree from @C8N , starting with a 9-speed XT. I found that a pulley wheel was cracked, after cleaning, so in were swapped wheels donated from an 11-speed derailleur. No problem. I also found out that the plate that the b-tension screw runs through/axle rotates on was to imminently break. A convenient donor from a 105 derailleur of a similar generation provided a suitable replacement, after some minor modification.

@tonyride graciously donated the brakes for the build, which I overhauled/cleaned up. There is little love for Shimano's low-profile cantilevers, but they've always occupied a special place in my heart as a mechanic--no nonsense parts that do what you ask of them.

The fork was a special treat; the crown race fit so loose it could be pulled off by hand, but that was remedied quickly(?) by staking the crown race with a cold-chisel all the way around (really! it's an honest to god fix!).

Music continues to be a source of escape/constant reminder of my injuries:

j8c1Kk_rHY7ZqmrmHm8IkCyXW_8VaR3XwKZLqjsaiiaobB31ozrg4uYB76XXeHDWAZMiZUh1d4t_r1a9u4LGVQx_O-EJyBHmXjJWonsZSiSIFsOrIAI68e-1fI8CGCepDxApvaYK1zu_BKvX10qIlb2vq21Cmb-21Be4-fNLECX4JQ-CPKCW68LPYf72RCCDO4hds2z0T41YVf7C2KzN3XTbZVl1_Vyc_KJHon6ILlFOlY9Jifgm2gH4VD51BpX7P8vVi-qSDZN9-q2yqQR9PHFrvyi3G0XjOQFLCixgD7eqjEwcodMBhXkaSNIN6W5M7Tg9xwTGUApqjymy4EyqD3ngJEnEbUZKH5Dd-nbSg04mkOBvWqzssNB7A0dhwMbT43TE7j0W2lTRVrU0B8svUn8-49b6Niu88jm7L-hQ21VLvYxdLoJhnoRzfts7ki1topUJ-bVms873it1Ff5DCGpMOCSiW2nVxcqFu6Yn9en7prP9WxFu9FUgrWZ16IIasCN2dSGwvIVFg_GccbjUi0MAkMpDiMNLXvTkC9JLUpsoOXFHg4-jdVjAFUGpQjDFX2W8OXSYQ0sluaTc5YTcUmmQS6aDrLEuShx6Ru1zw3oMkiEuMVFBsGEH1cE_2d7H4ZCGEPED6Tz1ks9D_DJczcPk7htYQx7OgvJn-HNwu1O-moA=w842-h631-no

(A respite from the outside world?)
I can't lie--the completion of the chapel at St. Elisabeth's has been bittersweet, for me. Sitting at the organ for more than an hour is a constant reminder of my injuries. As far as the orthopedists are concerned, I'm healed enough to resume normal activities, and I have a full range of motion/control over my extremities. 21 years of playing keyboards tells me otherwise; I daily struggle with things that just 4 months ago would have been trivial. My mind works, but my body is uncoordinated, imprecise. Still, losing myself in practice (couldn't it be called something less...bland?) for a few hours brings me to a better place, where I have a modicum of control over my life.

Isn't that what it's all about, anyway? Trying to influence what you can, and dealing with what you can't?

@fidodie life has been a bit...busy, shall we say? Up until about 3 weeks ago, I was putting in 60+ hour weeks, which didn't leave me with much time to do anything else. I'm happy to report, I'm down to only about 45 hours a week working, now :rolleyes:

You know those days where you think it would have been better to stay in bed? This seems like it was one of them. I had business down south, so I decided to bring a bike along with me and ride Wharton on the way back--it was only a 20 minute detour from where I was, if you account for the 2 hour drive back home, and that way, I only had to drive an hour-ish at a go.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1246952606

osJeuV1R4_-Z3TlSG5PrM7NhdKzNcnJoxdNJrD0USOF4X3kZcQL4EqUBJKj0_QDpmUhh3nmAx41ePiqVnsPWB1DJ_YCAWpPA062lih8Q-hPr_p0UtNH21bWoWM7cy4bLQHn8EGhAXPB_qx0ONa6fZJes0u0OOp-wCH-s67srDPe0kh6uZm6IVJJywo8G5_XI9GDI0erIj9rsIZevAo032dkAgT6UjjjW56Zyo0yKE6wIvWAYtuJvBzmX09TSJ6tYM0Bpfd4hvhDa6xcn5r9wMsdKYy8Mfo6llrpHoZoJizsgrM2oZSdQDaoDsEmc4J8EUNfmHr1iswM6CzRP43gtGdcL7N8S_H7R5W7QlA8iUW2ZJSZb3BnGBNItw6llwxBWjaonEhO0DjlGxvT20f-z5tQORf_1x5FnbQy47r8lDWf6Tx4-NfcU3FXOqNe6ErMc23itxHiN1Rd7QoSemjQgn7vXiWfwF2ilhUbMD_U1rg_b2pk-IeeVus_CoPZ_g-_4-YZVFbZxQByZaXooF_X1ZoK4W9KF9oVMIXSwV8z23yUO3vDDuHScqzTm684aLueSYEA7PKSowlOguWw3E68K2dKs3dfHbkx37F2ZHXzmAqmbB821LlOtlPjtcDCrrvyi6TRYEevFe_0QCdEEVGmcrSz-S3_MBZhnNEw=w864-h648-no

(The Wrong Bike)

The list of [expletive deleted] that went wrong with this:
  • Forgot my gloves, no big (yeah, right. This comes back to bite me later)
  • Brought the 'wrong' bike with me
  • Big storm blew through last night
  • Got chilly AF because I got to Wharton later than I wanted, and didn't pack any extra layers
  • SAND IN MY SHOES. SO MUCH SAND.
So, let's go down the list. I didn't think much of the gloves thing; I usually don't ride with gloves in nicer weather, and I made sure my touchpoints on my bikes are comfortable enough to ride for a few hours without gloves. Well, Wharton had other ideas--I'm sure with flat bars, I wouldn't have had any issues...but with the drops, I was getting whacked in the hands constantly by bushes/other crap as I went around the twisty bits. My knuckles are still sore.

The bike is subjective, right? I wasn't sure if I wanted to ride around the roads in the area, or the trails. Well, as it turns out, I probably could have used my road bike on the trails, as they were super firm from the rain. A proper flat bar bike probably would have been more comfortable, though (see above).

So, that storm last night, amiright? Well, there was a ton of deadfall on the ground, and I stopped many times to pick it up and move the more dangerous (chest height) stuff. There was even one particularly bad tree (6"x10') that fell dead center, along the trail. It had obviously been dead for a while, as I hefted it to the side fairly easily. By the time I got to the halfway point, I was, how you say, done with that shit.

About that time, I started to notice that it was getting colder...whelp, tough, because you'll note that the wonderful picture up there doesn't have any extra layers in the basket. By then, I was cold, aggravated (by the knuckle bashing), and losing it from smacking the pedals on what must surely be intentionally well camouflaged roots. The first time, I was fairly reasonable...by the 3rd time (which was a good one, by the way--I hitched forward off the seat, and if I wasn't in the drops, would have went over), I was swearing like a sailor and vowing never to come back to Wharton.

The sand in the shoes was the icing on the cake. The fenders did much to combat the sand on the bike, but not much (if anything) about the sand in my shoes. I felt like I had taken a walk on the beach by the time I got back to the car.

And throughout the whole thing (about 1 hour after I started...no point in turning back), I was treated to the lovely sound of gunfire. Was there hunting that I didn't know about? Does the Forestry Service have a shooting range in the middle of Wharton? I don't know, but I figured it was coming from right near the Batsto fire tower, where there were a bunch of white SUVs parked. Sounded/looked like the second of the two options, but it didn't make me feel any safer, for sure.

So, I had a pretty good(?) day, how about y'all?

i'd say the fact that you can move trees off of a trail is excellent progress.
Funny how these rides suck until they are over - then it is just another adventure.

Will, that's one fun looking bike doe
700c wheels? got me thinking now also....
which brake levers are they? Tektro, like the ergo look
need mo pics of bike please

Last edited:
@fidodie life has been a bit...busy, shall we say? Up until about 3 weeks ago, I was putting in 60+ hour weeks, which didn't leave me with much time to do anything else. I'm happy to report, I'm down to only about 45 hours a week working, now :rolleyes:

You know those days where you think it would have been better to stay in bed? This seems like it was one of them. I had business down south, so I decided to bring a bike along with me and ride Wharton on the way back--it was only a 20 minute detour from where I was, if you account for the 2 hour drive back home, and that way, I only had to drive an hour-ish at a go.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1246952606

osJeuV1R4_-Z3TlSG5PrM7NhdKzNcnJoxdNJrD0USOF4X3kZcQL4EqUBJKj0_QDpmUhh3nmAx41ePiqVnsPWB1DJ_YCAWpPA062lih8Q-hPr_p0UtNH21bWoWM7cy4bLQHn8EGhAXPB_qx0ONa6fZJes0u0OOp-wCH-s67srDPe0kh6uZm6IVJJywo8G5_XI9GDI0erIj9rsIZevAo032dkAgT6UjjjW56Zyo0yKE6wIvWAYtuJvBzmX09TSJ6tYM0Bpfd4hvhDa6xcn5r9wMsdKYy8Mfo6llrpHoZoJizsgrM2oZSdQDaoDsEmc4J8EUNfmHr1iswM6CzRP43gtGdcL7N8S_H7R5W7QlA8iUW2ZJSZb3BnGBNItw6llwxBWjaonEhO0DjlGxvT20f-z5tQORf_1x5FnbQy47r8lDWf6Tx4-NfcU3FXOqNe6ErMc23itxHiN1Rd7QoSemjQgn7vXiWfwF2ilhUbMD_U1rg_b2pk-IeeVus_CoPZ_g-_4-YZVFbZxQByZaXooF_X1ZoK4W9KF9oVMIXSwV8z23yUO3vDDuHScqzTm684aLueSYEA7PKSowlOguWw3E68K2dKs3dfHbkx37F2ZHXzmAqmbB821LlOtlPjtcDCrrvyi6TRYEevFe_0QCdEEVGmcrSz-S3_MBZhnNEw=w864-h648-no

(The Wrong Bike)

The list of [expletive deleted] that went wrong with this:
  • Forgot my gloves, no big (yeah, right. This comes back to bite me later)
  • Brought the 'wrong' bike with me
  • Big storm blew through last night
  • Got chilly AF because I got to Wharton later than I wanted, and didn't pack any extra layers
  • SAND IN MY SHOES. SO MUCH SAND.
So, let's go down the list. I didn't think much of the gloves thing; I usually don't ride with gloves in nicer weather, and I made sure my touchpoints on my bikes are comfortable enough to ride for a few hours without gloves. Well, Wharton had other ideas--I'm sure with flat bars, I wouldn't have had any issues...but with the drops, I was getting whacked in the hands constantly by bushes/other crap as I went around the twisty bits. My knuckles are still sore.

The bike is subjective, right? I wasn't sure if I wanted to ride around the roads in the area, or the trails. Well, as it turns out, I probably could have used my road bike on the trails, as they were super firm from the rain. A proper flat bar bike probably would have been more comfortable, though (see above).

So, that storm last night, amiright? Well, there was a ton of deadfall on the ground, and I stopped many times to pick it up and move the more dangerous (chest height) stuff. There was even one particularly bad tree (6"x10') that fell dead center, along the trail. It had obviously been dead for a while, as I hefted it to the side fairly easily. By the time I got to the halfway point, I was, how you say, done with that shit.

About that time, I started to notice that it was getting colder...whelp, tough, because you'll note that the wonderful picture up there doesn't have any extra layers in the basket. By then, I was cold, aggravated (by the knuckle bashing), and losing it from smacking the pedals on what must surely be intentionally well camouflaged roots. The first time, I was fairly reasonable...by the 3rd time (which was a good one, by the way--I hitched forward off the seat, and if I wasn't in the drops, would have went over), I was swearing like a sailor and vowing never to come back to Wharton.

The sand in the shoes was the icing on the cake. The fenders did much to combat the sand on the bike, but not much (if anything) about the sand in my shoes. I felt like I had taken a walk on the beach by the time I got back to the car.

And throughout the whole thing (about 1 hour after I started...no point in turning back), I was treated to the lovely sound of gunfire. Was there hunting that I didn't know about? Does the Forestry Service have a shooting range in the middle of Wharton? I don't know, but I figured it was coming from right near the Batsto fire tower, where there were a bunch of white SUVs parked. Sounded/looked like the second of the two options, but it didn't make me feel any safer, for sure.

So, I had a pretty good(?) day, how about y'all?
Correct, gun range right by the fire tower. Hunting season of concern hasn’t come about yet.

Will, that's one fun looking bike doe
700c wheels? got me thinking now also....
which brake levers are they? Tektro, like the ergo look
need mo pics of bike please

26", with big tires.

IMG_20170921_102456.jpg

IMG_20170921_102958.jpg

IMG_20170921_103341.jpg

The only difference between the first picture and these is the small self-contained light being replaced by a B&M IQ-X (generator driven). Super light, I can highly recommend it. Off road, you still need a helmet light, but the light has enough usability around 5-6mph. The Nitto lamp holder in the above pictures is intended to mount a generator light to their racks, but I've found it adapts rather well to most other brands with a bit of ingenuity.

The brake levers are Tektro 520s (canti/caliper), and are more similar to modern Shimano STIs. The long pull model, the 540, is a bit pointier, like [older] Campy. TRP makes a premium model called the RRL that closely matches the feel of Ergo Levers...sweet component, just couldn't justify then on this build (my levers came second-hand).

There is a different frame in the works for this particular bike, just need to pull a few small parts together (and have a couple of days off). I'm happy to lend insight I've gained drop-barring old bikes, if you are interested.

nice, don't want to call it a "monsterX" as to an insult on how well it came out
I sold my Dean frame recently and was going to do some thing like this for giggles, I'll see how the rest of the projects go this Fall

Going on a couple years.

Did you end up parting out that piano?
Any other projects?

What bike are you riding now?

Hmm. So it's been a few years since I've updated this, so here goes.

Up until the last year (and I think some of you may realize where this is going) I was working almost full-time as a private piano instructor/church musician. When the pandemic hit governmentally (and specifically, health services wise), things changed. The company that I contracted through as a teacher (they ran my studio scheduling/payments)--whom I have no problem throwing under the bus--Music & Arts, dragged their feet through setting up online lesson platforms for teaching, despite already having a public health plan in place (does this sound like something else :rolleyes:). As a result, my 24 student strong schedule became 1 after a few weeks of inactivity. Really, the icing on the cake was "we want to make you an employee--we'll give you health benefits [which you can never qualify for due to our teaching hours], 401k matching, sick days, and paid vacation! Oh, and you'll also need to take a 60% pay cut. Needless to say, I took my (one) ball home and started the long road of rebuilding/running my studio by myself--which was what I wanted to transition away from by contracting with the company in the first place.

The year before, I had bought a lovely Kimball standard-length grand piano that has nice cabriole legs (which somehow I don't have pictures of--I mean, would you take pictures of your bandsaw or your table saw to show people?). I'm a sucker for them--I remember my favorite 'practice' piano owned by the school I went to was a Model A Steinway

Art-Case-Steinway-Model-A-2-Grand-Piano-123056-Louis-XV-Style-Art-Case-Mahogany-Cabinet.jpg

(Looked like this, except beat to absolute hell, with a latticed music desk)
Eventually, the plan is to replace the plastic sharps with ebony, so I can stop sliding off them with no provocation. The cheapo plastic keys will have to do for the white keys, even though I'd prefer cow bone/nice resin castings, since that is a massive amount of work compared to the sharps.

That said, I still made out better than some have, even if it is in a direction that I wouldn't necessarily wish to repeat. My part time job was more than happy to have me full time, and my church for 4 months continued to pay my stipend as organist, despite not meeting. Yes, I am one of the much-maligned recipients of payroll protection from the church. Believe it or not, there are WAY more laypeople (non-clergy) who work for the church than there are clergy. As one clergy member who I have worked with (who will remain nameless for their sake) is fond of saying, "God might sign my paycheck, but the Holy Spirit doesn't pay the bills. And yes, everyone who gets a paycheck pays taxes...I mean, duh?

(my "office" on Sunday mornings/holidays/funerals/weddings/etc)
ACtC-3fY5fTS00aW8IYk0pSlOmQwTy7zIXmSc9MxcqEvaSuAAITC9R0Xy1FDpesbPUM4OFTfzN8EprlxjDodDVPzLndvZRQ-0xReVu-o4KvXrazs0UqhNOY3Wye5mHRYryOkRuNChvluBgtN_L4Nz1-3WcWH=w1300-h975-no

ACtC-3f_x2mzBL5NcemN912kp23n7WbmX-6AyAJ5wh-n9daNeoAsaYZolL9Qg2c55Ub2ZB10EQQKRznjTUr-3fP3wURSkbhwQoc2lySwIwfFG6dgqPXKyj3AmGsjuoa1757Oki7jVGpwwLtGEhyFX2rdYKfA=w1300-h975-no

ACtC-3eeuGL3oYLF4hP7fhHJCI71fYsiK4hP3PYgxxCHRo5_AgqEprN-oSjUv42RGymDecF1PoAKMd-d8MxM2gJ8pzUpzu5cMl3WVL3dUMkowuO3eEhWbk59VFyb_9eMeS-3F5hKIUbif_2gXkU9geja-HYY=w1300-h975-no

ACtC-3fK1mp_hVzEuptt1fKIlU49T8LCH1MfdOPRCP4__zDFtc8OA-XI2KnL_wA5wkfhfU99oZMCf2imBozXCRFb3vX2Mve5-KDaqlcel5er26QpCM_bGiSk9gknlUe0tCozn9XOPqCfIz-5rcSrDaY0llFp=w1300-h975-no

ACtC-3dl9LnNhpZ03gPnCNe67Rz3fqb0TfwEkssebPLwS31zXPHDSlh51OzNmMtbzSKNcJPouYS0YtqgMJw5zxOggETUkwKoGbaeySlDCMV4URGLPwh0rSqZ3tRPyKrrk1ADdUhqB-z9juR0A1_a7y2AA4BB=w1300-h975-no

(My favorite time of year: Spring/Fall)

ACtC-3cLHqvTE3T4N4dGHMzuWFfhAtF5cfYpFmgOUg8A05qYWlE-3VYCBFv4uQHnh5xzNHJr3MOQCPEu6XmEBGDfGgXPsIJXxErYQHUuLvin658INxeeEuhoiZo9C2RfEabPjBi48EvQdZU7kiHSqKlY0aUP=w1300-h975-no

Every Sunday hurts a little less to sit upright on the bench for a couple of hours, and I'm hoping(?) that some time soon, I can ditch my padded chair that I'm flopped in when I'm not actively playing.

I realized that I never posted this stuff before, so I guess graphic imagination warning:

My life's largest transition to-date wasn't the result of training, or opportunity, or practice, et cetera. It was one person's lapse of concentration that changed my permanent outlook.

ACtC-3e7mWg_NMu3D2EJG5JkW1jmY8GfH5zObC8XjUzrpdOkrrV16G3K0pXWOB5jm4mTinWVvnMndHIim2yFXSTQM9_Egm5E8gmbbtoI3ro8mvixGrqHE9P5-vpRv7_Le0QPwnih5tZu7DGfYaD7xHxxiUaf=w1300-h975-no

ACtC-3cuQdwUu1uZi5778g4tJGz84sWPe6QuWhY0OL3xFXPYS_MbzvB8c5fIL6XkSDSeMpfTRYLfDpcaSzOivzMCo4sm-i7BqATWN6JCcMGJWm7V8X_FfIVvPyjqcWWaPIaA3blioBuDGNPT21nbvu8PG1L_=w1300-h975-no

ACtC-3e80PWkr6kgJCMxoSY92KhNf9ZXTlrotxy6P8lCHS3UjBxId-iGhKlfAcTtdufwGRFOV8TpYR_0OdN5A3AKzq0r-IjC2k14D6mmy3QENmBybAvIdPCsnzCO5GyBk5ie74IWIdOqODfNWHBHsU7EeX0s=w1300-h975-no

ACtC-3cyvwmwa_qCWoN67_uonDBEn7JdhDJavRKxwgz7jw8XQjUxh6iIMVg-I9es5L4IbajwzlLVJ6qZSp0AKikCsQSGLHcq7JseJus__8ROnDvmyCCe1BoxbSmPncv8GCLS0cuRkEt1QTwKBnVP5C3pSBDq=w1300-h975-no

ACtC-3fifF7JhP35kAwHV2tQOMVfFmJTbhuNF75crCKD4nucvVUX2lYUFOoKdyCC18QydRKpU14wrQoJHh8GpAqYiewH_AIy3GE-ypDvv6V_YVldtLR0Te5uZ_IgJTLjTAP03k6AmRoF-v9QMnPeuz0rFESS=w1300-h975-no

I'd take the short opportunity to point out only one thing, since I believe everything else speaks for itself: that seatpost was inserted into the frame almost up to the writing. It was yanked out by the force of the car hitting me.

My time, alluded to only briefly above this post, was spent very slowly retraining myself. While I have almost full use of my left hand NOW, it has been a long road, and it will likely never be the same as it was before.

ACtC-3dADfIda3h1ZjVwgmUzP-pupmEFf9udzwoxE8HLlTNEnzvcSkgMl03hnipPjzxs_yt08i1thSnEg7rS5OXxujgSS8SptoLv1ZI7zkpZvgZ_CCZANjbuu8Up02Oi20Yd9mSVTo8EVfPOta_8Utg967Bd=w1243-h976-no

(Uh oh)
What do I ride now? Not much on the road, surprisingly. I have reached the point where I've decided that if I need to drive to ride, I'd rather use a mountain bike (and, to put it bluntly, when I road the following bike for the first time 2 miles, I was buzzed TWICE in the first 1/2 mile).

ACtC-3cY1WkAi2OQZOrt4s2VTqZ3MGpLGzTzAPqmlzpz5TOguLrITSYAL2zsxNOMcVVlhLc3bEcclqXMGIq-QjSyiRGv2EG5fn_4ve5lRZspzhQkFZX3rsiYe08VK3_cij1kMMAdiN-7dgfNGZ8InJnp_6PR=w1300-h975-no

(Trek 850 cum touring bike. One of the only Reynolds 531 mountain bikes that Trek made in Waterloo)

ACtC-3dykNzjwASTYYbITfVGNa4c24i5JjabifD7K5i4YtHAo6aHQRwJZhcHhFPmJJXOiaQMRLsZmWy8lXptJlUHMqvCKjMVvI7FJWNBrpOcraq1pJFrJqpDnd42XMVm3xiE1Xnp8wXPuh80j39A0E80PqTh=w1300-h975-no

(Trek Stache -- 2 years[?] old)
The Stache was my main squeeze for the last couple of years; this is an older picture of it that is already floating around the site, but is 99% of what it was up to a month ago. Full XTR, Lyrik Ultimate equivalent fork. I'm guessing, based on the gear/geolocation, this is at the top of Laurel Ridge, the only real puke-y climb in Hartshorne.

Fitness is a funny thing. Before I was hit, I was only what I would consider moderately fit [author's note: dude has ~75% lung capacity on a good day due to deep scar tissue from asthma]. After an excessive amount of steroids/control medication, I feel about the same, except I have been slowly improving. I decided that, as a high-risk individual who is unlikely to survive contracting CV-19, I might as well splurge and buy something nice.

ACtC-3fqQ7JdfK6hjqqogQmeUjzUxkFrJTg3iRUCId5_aVybv7_tNOqpoRQjiErs0q4vIoZO2od-RHIBvsFR87olW4XZ7m5wPHczUhmRmtWR4fs4PvX3WbLOUAfJfMbOmLNgV-XP64Ul3HV0UiCDlP9BMXb0=w1502-h975-no

( #lenzsport )
I placed the order sometime in March. Due to volume/some QC problems, I received the frame in mid-October, and after finally getting a replacement hose for the brakes (supply problems, amirite?), the build was completed. Full XTR; CC In-line coil; Pike Ultimate; cable-op parts with link housing. It weighs about 1.5 pounds more than the same Stache, except it's a full suspension. Awesome bike 👍

I think that's about it @Patrick , I miss anything?

in a weird convergence, i was in-the-know of your situation.
this post shows me that the event can now be put behind, but will forever affect your future.
I can only wish you continued progress with your physical condition,
and success in your business.

Your advice in bikes and all things musical is invaluable to the community.

I'm here if you need me.

Will, I'm happy to be reading your update...while I was aware of the hit I hadn't seen the bike pics before. After seeing them I'm glad you are still upright! Sorry to read about the work situation at the beginning of the pandemic. The church you play at looks beautiful...how are the acoustics there?

@rottin' as my vocal coach said, "it has an acoustic" (that's a compliment). Since it is all hard wood/no carpeting, it has ~1.5 seconds of reverb when empty, though considerably less when full. What it does well is unamplified sound, particularly instrumentally. I wish I could say it was built with the organ in mind--those kinds of decisions are way out of my league--but it works well, happily (for those who are curious, the space is 'for hire', so to speak, for the kinds of events that would be held there, and I can facilitate contact if desired).

It gets somewhat dreary this time of year (I can easily see how someone might go mad 150 years ago living in a remote windswept place), but there remains a certain 'otherworldly' quality about it.

Weird embed, y'all will forgive me, but I try not to upload tons of stuff to YT.

kept expecting Toccata & Fugue to start...

let me see if i can find my copy of Tubular Bells.

Back
Top Bottom