Fix a flat (tubular)

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At Cooper River, I flatted my baby Limus rear. It was it's second season, and the sidewalls were a little beat up ...I had a 3/4 inch gash, game over.

I have 2 back up identical tires sitting in standby, so I had my pro tire gluer (@jimvreeland) set it up.

Yesterday at HPCX, Two practice laps and it was cool. Then on the second lap, the back end started washing out on me, I looked down, and FML, another flat.

I like these tires... They're light, pretty fast rolling but still enough grip for a few slimy sections.... But 2 flats in 15 minutes? F that.

So anyway, I just dumped some Stan's in there and got it to hold air. Then I dumped some more in. Seems good.

Should I trust it ? Or should I have jim glue my last back up baby Limus? Or should I buy some tires that don't flat at sight of a root, or acorn, or rabbit?

Confession, I already ordered 2 Clement MXPs, but if I don't need to put them on right away, I'd rather not. They're more of an all around tire.

Help me @Delish , @seanrunnette, @The Heckler , @pearl , @anybodyelsewhohasaclue.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Stans and prey is the cheapest solution. Just ride it and beat the crap out of it before you race it again. Did this with a Grifo and it worked fine. Also had a PDX that had a small small leaks on the sidewall and that worked too. I'm sure EO could link you to the real professional way to fix it by sending it out to repair it....

Superfly100guy

I flatted a front PDX tubular 24psi today at HPCX and I didn't even bother with Stans. The last time I used Stans to fix a tubular It held great til the next race where it all went bad.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I flatted a front PDX tubular 24psi today at HPCX and I didn't even bother with Stans. The last time I used Stans to fix a tubular It held great til the next race where it all went bad.

This. 100%.

It's like the kinda injured QB who practices fine all week and lasts 1 series once Sunday comes.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
just buy a new wheel you cheapskate

save the rim/tire with hole in it for me when i go disc

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last season I did like 4 races and a bunch of practices on a chicane that I flatted the first time I rode and put stans into. The original puncture was a slow leak so that might have something to do with it. I say: Stans, test it out at your local practice loop, then pray.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cool. It held air over night, so I'll beat the shit out of it all week and see how it holds up.

Hopefully we get a bunch of mud for bubble so im not tempted to run these anyway. Or at the least, I hope my next flat isn't so far from the pit.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Put a Vittoria Pit stop in the pit next race. I've used that and then finished the season with it in tires. Shit's magic.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i would beat on it with less pressure than you would normally run too, like 2-3 less to really give it hell

qclabrat

are tubulars usually latex or butyl in the inside? I've also heard good reviews on Caffelatex and the orange
amazing we're still dealing with flatted tubulars after all these years
bobetsparetire-thumb.JPG

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
I have on several occasions thrown stans at my flat challenges with great success.

At least two of which were pinch flats - One of which I used two small bottles and it was so big the stans was pouring out soaking the casing. Shit sealed and I raced it another 12 races to the end of the season.

I think you will be fine. Get 1-1.5 small bottles in there, ride it, see how it holds air over a CX practice, and monitor it and hour or 2 later. Shit is magic.

If it takes 2 small bottles without sealing abandon hope - all is lost. Send it to that guy to get re-tubed if the tread and casing is brand new.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My experience fixing flat tubulars is this; Bought a used set of wheels w/ Clement LAS already glued up, rode around 6-mile over the summer, got a puncture. Not sure if it was a pinch flat or what, but the dang thing WOULD NOT SEAL with Stans. It'd hold for a while, then the Stans would just give out. So, I said eff it and used a tire plug (believe made by Hutchinson?) which is just like plugging your car tire, except much cuter. Worked like a charm. Take a look at the pic for proof.

This option wont work for Challenge tires though b/c of the latex inner tube and all, so I'm mostly posting to brag about my tire sealing prowess and overall bravado.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I beat the crap out of the tire yesterday and so far so good. Will beat it up again today.

Leadman

Formerly: Harry Hamilton
IMG_1955.JPG
Tore my casing and put a gash in my Challenge Grifo today at Bubble Cross. I had to swap my wheel and was lucky that it didn't cost me the race. It held fine with Stans later today, but I wouldn't trust it in a race again. Hopefully I made the right call.

Top Bottom