Fishing and MTBing

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Has this been discussed? Anyone carry a pole with them on a ride and gone fishing at some remote lake or pond that's only accessible by bike or hike? I've had my eye on a few ponds in Ringwood and finally pulled the trigger on a telescoping pole. I may give it a go tomorrow.

rick81721

Lothar
Has this been discussed? Anyone carry a pole with them on a ride and gone fishing at some remote lake or pond that's only accessible by bike or hike? I've had my eye on a few ponds in Ringwood and finally pulled the trigger on a telescoping pole. I may give it a go tomorrow.

I started a thread on this a year or so ago. Was going to get a rod that would fit in my pack but never got around to it. Now I have to buy an out-of-state license to fish in NJ

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I do this as more of a means to an end. I ride the bike when I’m trout fishing some of the bigger rivers to reach some of the more remote spots only accessible by drift boat, and to be able to bounce around between spots.

In Ringwood some of those ponds hold largemouth. Bring the Senkos or poppers if your fishing more towards dusk.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I started a thread on this a year or so ago. Was going to get a rod that would fit in my pack but never got around to it. Now I have to buy an out-of-state license to fish in NJ
I have both NY and NJ. Where are you located? I just bought this guy. The reel is garbage but I really only wanted the colapsable pole. Figure I can't go wrong for less than $20.

Karate Monkey

Look into fly rods. Most break down quite small. Tenkara rods have an even small footprint, but I've never used them.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
You can make do with a cheap rod, but a shitty reel ends up being nothing but frustration. If you really want to invest in a travel spin rod, there are some quality ones around that break down to 4-5 pieces. Fly rods aren’t really as packable since most are 9-10’ long, so each section will be over 2ft long, and you will want to keep it in a rod tube. Plus there’s nowhere to back-cast a fly rod I most of those bass ponds. Tenkara fishing is good for small stream trout, but you can’t cover water like you need to for bass.

Biking and fishing only really works if fishing is the primary goal, and you’re using the bike solely as means of transportation. Trying to fish and get a ride in won’t work. Once you start fishing, you get sucked into a black hole where just like that, 2-3 hours have gone by. Oh yea, make sure you bring a light to get back.

Fat Trout

You can make do with a cheap rod, but a shitty reel ends up being nothing but frustration. .
This is 100% truth. Although I'm personally too far gone to make do with cheap rods (unless for trolling) but I'm a lost cause so go with the reel thing. It does matter more than the rod.

Side note, clip in pedal related shoes will generally suck with fishing pond or stream banks.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
You’re looking at a veteran with plenty of quality fishing reels. My garage walls are covered in poles from 4’ - 13’. But @MonkeySoup is right. I’m going to get (happily) stuck in the black hole that is fishing and forget about the ride. Nothing wrong with that. :cool:

Fat Trout

You’re looking at a veteran with plenty of quality fishing reels. My garage walls are covered in poles from 4’ - 13’. But @MonkeySoup is right. I’m going to get (happily) stuck in the black hole that is fishing and forget about the ride. Nothing wrong with that. :cool:
I've taken even moderate 2 piece rods with me.....bungie strapped to my camel pack. I'm not bombing trails with low hanging trees of course in that mode but there is a place to accomplish both fishing and biking! Tomorrow afternoon I hope to be over 200' of water trolling but thats a different story.

ekuhn

Way back when I did a lot of surf fishing - I was early to the beach before the crowds, enjoy the sunrise etc. I said, "man it would be awesome to ride my motorcycle to the beach and fish." Then I realized it would be my luck that it would be the best day of fishing ever and I would have landed all keepers and no way to bring them home. So I decided to not mix vices and just left the bike for lunch and afternoons.

qclabrat

St. Croix is always considered a really good rod, without breaking the bank (for rods) I have a couple. Although I don't personally have one of their pack rods. The below link are some 4 piece freshwater options.

https://stcroixrods.com/collections/freshwater-triumph/products/triumph-travel-spinning
Agreed, SC makes the best budget blanks. I have a half dozen poles from them. As for packable fly rods, they don't really work well. Can't really load it properly and the action is non existent. Stick with a decent telerod and a mid range Shimano reel and you'll be fine.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've built a couple 4 pice St. Croix (IV and V) fly rods from blanks. They aren't the ones I reach for but they are definitely great for the $$.

Biking and fishing
You can make do with a cheap rod, but a shitty reel ends up being nothing but frustration. If you really want to invest in a travel spin rod, there are some quality ones around that break down to 4-5 pieces. Fly rods aren’t really as packable since most are 9-10’ long, so each section will be over 2ft long, and you will want to keep it in a rod tube. Plus there’s nowhere to back-cast a fly rod I most of those bass ponds. Tenkara fishing is good for small stream trout, but you can’t cover water like you need to for bass.

Biking and fishing only really works if fishing is the primary goal, and you’re using the bike solely as means of transportation. Trying to fish and get a ride in won’t work. Once you start fishing, you get sucked into a black hole where just like that, 2-3 hours have gone by. Oh yea, make sure you bring a light to get back.

yeah, all this. Biking and fishing are compatible IF you have the whole day. Fish early, ride in the heat of the day if/when the bite turns off, fish late. Repeat. Oh the pre-kids days....

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I love fishing, the only thing better than drinking a bottle of whiskey or a 12-pack talking about is ins doing it. St. Croix makes good shit. I have a couple of Premier and Avid-X spin rods, all that your really need. Under $200, made in the US. Paired with some Shimano Stradic reels and your all set. Their fly rods are seriously under-rated. If I wasn’t such a Sage, Loomis, Winston snob, I’d have one. Gonna pick up a 9-wt for Salt. With my current pack setup I can carry two fully rigged 9’ Fly rods. Easily bike with them (in the open, no cover), and cast as well. I use one of my old full-sus bikes with a Niterider Lumina on the bars. Stash it in the woods at all my stops, hit the evening hatch and cruise back in the dark. I spend most of my spring up in th Catskills running this setup, seen some crazy shit at night, but that’s a different case of beer.

Fat Trout

I love fishing, the only thing better than drinking a bottle of whiskey or a 12-pack talking about is ins doing it. St. Croix makes good shit. I have a couple of Premier and Avid-X spin rods, all that your really need. Under $200, made in the US. Paired with some Shimano Stradic reels and your all set. Their fly rods are seriously under-rated. If I wasn’t such a Sage, Loomis, Winston snob, I’d have one. Gonna pick up a 9-wt for Salt. With my current pack setup I can carry two fully rigged 9’ Fly rods. Easily bike with them (in the open, no cover), and cast as well. I use one of my old full-sus bikes with a Niterider Lumina on the bars. Stash it in the woods at all my stops, hit the evening hatch and cruise back in the dark. I spend most of my spring up in th Catskills running this setup, seen some crazy shit at night, but that’s a different case of beer.
I'm a recovering Loomis / Sage snob who has taken to St. Croix as part of my recovery.

Top Bottom