First Time in Mooch Advice

Rock48nj

Started riding in July.. have tackled deer park and most everything in Stephens. Can't do those epic >20 mile loops that some of you tackle quite yet, but can put in a solid 15 miles or so. Some climbs still kill me but I like it.

Interested in hitting up Mooch this saturday if forecast holds. Will be my first time in there. Any advice on best approach for something in the 7-10 mile range that wont be a nightmare for someone steadily improving skills but still beginer'ish?

pxs231

Park at the brown gate off of cranberry ledge road and ride the green trail all the way around to rt 206 and ride back to your car on the road. That is about as easy of a loop you can put together as far as being easy to follow and technical difficulty. If you haven't already done so, check the allamuchy north map on the Jorba site and see what you think.

Rock48nj

Yeah I think I could handle a bit more than that...I guess my general question is, is north significantly harder then most everywhere in Stephens? I'm fine if I have to get off the bike in a spot or two. Trying to hurt myself less as I get older.

I was thinking of parking off waterloo, heading to red, riding it counter clockwise... taking one of those unblazed trails to white, follow white to green and take the northern section of that to the sussex branch rail trail thing back down to the lot. That seem rideable for someone who is still learning but willing?

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Would you rather do a technical ride or more flow? Also you'll be close to lumpy bumpy if you want to try that. I can draw you up something on the jorba map if u like.

Robin

We came down the red trail towards Waterloo about a month ago - there were a lot of down trees on the trail...and it wasn't maintained as well as other trails I've been on at Mooch. If you decide to take that route, don't be discouraged by it - the other trails you've mentioned are gems.

Rock48nj

Would you rather do a technical ride or more flow? Also you'll be close to lumpy bumpy if you want to try that. I can draw you up something on the jorba map if u like.

Awesome... Probably a bit more "flow" versus tech at this point. Ill probably stay off lumpy for this first ride but will definitely want to check it out at some point.

pxs231

The red counter clockwise would be a pretty long hike a bike since there is a fairly long section that is pretty steep and washed out. It would be ok clockwise. The loop I used to often was to start on the white off the parking lot and make the first left onto the yellow, left onto teal, unmarked back to yellow, connect back to white and stay left. Catch the next unmarked towards the red and take the red back.
The Sussex branch trail side is mostly older trails so they are generally wide but very rocky. The tranquility side has gotten more love over the past few years but you have to contend with the fairly steep climb to get to the good stuff. Once you do it is worth it.

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I drew up 2 loops, 1 that Peyman suggested and another starting from the lot off 517 by tranquility farms. The loop off 517 is more fun and flowy, the waterloo side is climb, climb, some flow, then downhill.

I'd give a proper tour but I'm still 4 weeks out till I can get on a bike again.:cry:

Attachments

• moochloop.JPG
    moochloop.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 435

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions