First time at Stephens.

njkayaker

That place is just amazing. I did a 12.5 mile ride and only scratched the surface. Un market trails all over the place. Now that I know the place a little I can go for a more aggressive ride. feeling it out today. Loved the pink maze and all the un marked stuff going out towards Rt 80 and then back over to the green to white. my Garmin 800 gps map sure helped me out so I had some idea where I was and how to get back to where I parked. I am going to be spending a lot of time there the next several weeks. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372614346

rlb

Glad you enjoyed, exploring this place is addictive! I haven't been there nearly enough in the last year. If you're ever headed there on a weekend hit me up and I might be able to join you.

njkayaker

I have been to Deerpark a couple times and Allamuchy North. Was surprised how much climbing I did. next time I go the other direction so I can take advantage and enjoy all those downhills. a couple thousand spider webs across my face. I cleared the place. couldn't believe I didn't see any other riders.

njkayaker

I hit Stephens again today. If you park at the state park you can't escape the climbing. over 1700' today, I rode the orange climb, white, blue, white, green, purple to the unmarked trail with the awesome downhill. that downhill is smooth, twisty, rollers. it is an absolute blast, that section and the pink maze is my favorite part of the park. saw one other rider.

njkayaker

Hit Stephens again today. Had a few friends come over since I have been talking so highly about it. They loved it.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hit Stephens again today. Had a few friends come over since I have been talking so highly about it. They loved it.

Are there any trees down from last week's storm? I did see one down along the Holy Grail trail.

njkayaker

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you really need a proper to get SSP down, not as bad as North but with all the unmarked and webbing in there you will be looping over your tracks.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would love a tour here sometime, never been.

I ride here regulary; just not this upcoming weekend. Hit me up when you want a tour.

not sure which trail is the Holy Grail. no problems with trees across the trail. Did the downhills out near Rt 80 on the unmarked trails. all clear.

Holy Grail trail runs from Continental Drive under Rt 80 out to the train trussle. I tried to do a recon ride on Sat, but my MTB was still a bit under the weather, so I had to cut it short.

Thanks for the heads up. Was worried it took a beating after seeing some of the local carnage within my neighborhood.

Holy Grail trail runs from Continental Drive under Rt 80 out to the train trussle. I tried to do a recon ride on Sat, but my MTB was still a bit under the weather, so I had to cut it short.

Thanks for the heads up. Was worried it took a beating after seeing some of the local carnage within my neighborhood.

Oh, I like that trail. I only ride it when connecting Stephens to North which is infrequently, but good to know the name of it. Other than Pink, I think there's not a single marked trail on the western side of Stephens which is where I mostly ride so its hard to refer to specific trails when explaining anything. The trail that runs parallel to the railroad tracks and connects into pink used to be marked as maroon, but I guess someone took down the markers awhile back.

njkayaker

I blew my rear shock on my rumblefish riding Mahlon D today. Oil all over. 2+ weeks down so I went and purchased a Specialized Carbon Comp 29 today from a friend who manages Joe Fix its in Goshen. Got a good deal and the bike is amazing. tested it at KVSP thois afternoon. RF goes up for sale when it is fixed. Riding Stephens tomorrow. Out early if the weather allows. Parking at Kinney. VW Black GTI.
Steve

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Raining now which makes the lower trails sloppy but if you head right to upper Stephen's you are good. Drains well up top.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Njkayaker,
I LOVE Stephens. Great place to ride and just enjoy the great flow of the trails.
You can thank a person named Steve Filipponi from JORBA for Stephens. He has worked a ton of hours in there bringing old trails back to life and creating new singletrack (with permission from the park super). Steve works there so often he is a fixture in the park. Our crew has nicknamed him "Stevesquatch".

Enjoy riding there.

Joe

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

mcim29

Yo fellas,

Hucleberry and I are looking to take a ride up there within a week or two. Anyone interested in being guide? We haven't ridden in that area in a long time.. Wow last time i can think of was at the Jorba fest two years ago, and before that was with Matty back in late 09.. I'm missing out.

njkayaker

Njkayaker,
I LOVE Stephens. Great place to ride and just enjoy the great flow of the trails.
You can thank a person named Steve Filipponi from JORBA for Stephens. He has worked a ton of hours in there bringing old trails back to life and creating new singletrack (with permission from the park super). Steve works there so often he is a fixture in the park. Our crew has nicknamed him "Stevesquatch".

Enjoy riding there.

Joe

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2
I'll thanks him when I see him. I understand you can enter Deerpark from somewhere near Kinney Road but I don't know where. any directions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I love these parks. I have been riding a trigger 29er up here a ton. We do a mooch, DP., Stephens loop that rivals some western riding I have done.

These parks are amazing and well worth a 2 hour drive.

Tour guides are nearly mandatory, but you can follow some Gps data and have a great time

ryderX

I'll thanks him when I see him. I understand you can enter Deerpark from somewhere near Kinney Road but I don't know where. any directions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.
Ride Kinney Rd back to Waterloo Rd. Take a right onto Waterloo and about 200' down on the opposite side of the road your 2 massive rocks with a trailhead. That trail takes you up into Deer Park. Just be aware that oncoming cars come up and over the hill real fast.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions