Fire protection behind oven

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Currently shopping for new appliances. A salesman mentioned to my wife that some of the newer ovens that also air fry can't be placed up against the rear wall unless it is fire rated. I can find nothing about this online. She didn't question it because he started calling her "Hun." After the third or forth Hun, she had to leave before being dragged out of there. As a construction project manager for thirty years, she doesn't take that lightly, without somebody getting hurt.

not professional advice just experience.

we gutted and renovated the kitchen in 2006 and installed a 6 burner 36" wide Viking stove/oven with Convection and no one ever told us anything about fire rated wall surfaces behind it. we obviously had all the town inspections and such since we moved electric and gas lines around and nothing was ever flagged.

The salesmans comment could be either one of his customer's experience with some local town requirements or part of his pickup line after he exhausted the number of times he could use Hun in a sentence.

there is a requirement, but may only be for 6" above the cooktop, back and sides if butted against a wall.
I've seen people use a sheet of stainless. it is only for the cooktop, not the oven. hell, they mount those in cabinets.

check manufacturer's requirements for installation to be sure.

Or perhaps multi unit dwelling.

this is where i've seen the stainless sheets on the walls.

i just have this feeling there is a requirements for a minimal fire protection above the cooktop.
Most ranges provide this by putting the controls there.

i just have this feeling there is a requirements for a minimal fire protection above the cooktop.
Most ranges provide this by putting the controls there.
The new trend is to put the controls on the front so there is nothing on the top, rear. Some of the new ovens have an accessory heat deflector which gets added there. Our bigger issue is that the enclosure for the fridge is 69" high and so many new fridges are just a bit taller than that.

Back
Top Bottom