Finish Line tubeless sealant

qclabrat

Forget this stuff. Every shop guy I know says it’s garbage.

Run stan’s Sealant. He made this category and in a real way we own Stan for making tubeless for the masses a thing. He’s been tinkering with this formula for a very long time.

I Run 1/2 and 1/2 standard & race sealant. This combo works wonders. The race sealant dies out too fast otherwise and is pricey. This is trick I leaned from a Stans employee.

When starting with a new tire, use more sealant than you think. Some brands of tires will absorb a fair bit of sealant into the casing.

Grease the threads on your valves so you can run them a bit tighter and get them off by hand later. Remove the cores once in a while and clean them out.

As a side, don’t assume you can mix and match brands of sealants within the same tire. This can end up creating a science experiment.
what's the difference between race and standard sealant?
Also good to know the formulations have been evolving,

Dajerseyrat

Forget this stuff. Every shop guy I know says it’s garbage.

Run stan’s Sealant. He made this category and in a real way we own Stan for making tubeless for the masses a thing. He’s been tinkering with this formula for a very long time.

I Run 1/2 and 1/2 standard & race sealant. This combo works wonders. The race sealant dies out too fast otherwise and is pricey. This is trick I leaned from a Stans employee.

When starting with a new tire, use more sealant than you think. Some brands of tires will absorb a fair bit of sealant into the casing.

Grease the threads on your valves so you can run them a bit tighter and get them off by hand later. Remove the cores once in a while and clean them out.

As a side, don’t assume you can mix and match brands of sealants within the same tire. This can end up creating a science experiment.
If Jdog says it's garbage, then It's garbage..I'm taking this crap out of my tires asap and going with Stans.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Anyone try the new Finish Line tire sealant?
Supposedly it lasts the life of the tire- doesn’t dry out.
I’m getting a wheel repaired at Pops Bike Shop and they recommended it.
I am a big fan of bontrager TLR sealant but hVe been using orange seal with no complaints. Had one flat with bontrager in 4 years and it’s petroleum based so it doesn’t dry out. Stans and orange seel work but you keep adding weight each time u top off if u don’t remove tire and the dried up latex. Slime professional sealant sucks.

mwlikesbikes

Do people still make their own home brew sealant anymore?
I remember hearing of concoctions using windshield washer fluid, glitter, ky, & gasoline or something like that...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
we made our own, and it works great for 1/3 the price.

@qclabrat - buy a gallon of liquid latex, mix it 1:1.5 with winter windshield fluid. So that is 2.5 gallons for $50.
oh, save some of the liquid latex for other stuff. ya never know.
think i got the latex from a make-up/costume shop.

blackburn1973

@qclabrat - buy a gallon of liquid latex, mix it 1:1.5 with winter windshield fluid. So that is 2.5 gallons for $50.
They stock it @ Michael's as well.

one piece crank

Any issues with shelf-life (2.5 gallons!)???

I've been running Orange Seal Subzero in my fat bike. Even with multiple thorns in each tire, Orange has sealed them up and they don't lose any air. I'm hesitant to shift from something that works...

qclabrat

?? interwebs
Don't use window washer fluid.
Certain tires weep the solution through the side walls, because the soap in the solution lowers the surface tension too much.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
?? interwebs
Don't use window washer fluid.
Certain tires weep the solution through the side walls, because the soap in the solution lowers the surface tension too much.

Perhaps we ended up using RV antifreeze? Hey @clarkenstein, do you remember? Need something that is non toxic for obvious reasons

We split it 5 ways. It is a couple years old and what I have is still good. I had a bit more cause w didn't have enough PG. just keep it sealed, no air to react.

We didnt add glitter or any other grit. Seems like it would be a good idea for larger punctures.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Yep - I’m 99.9% sure we used RV stuff with latex.

Edit! Check it out @fidodie - my Instagram captured it. RV + latex + slime.

A8283ADD-1C07-4351-AEB2-6B2AAEB8EE06.jpeg

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've had mixed experiences with the DIY stuff. I've used this recipe. Used a tub of "mold maker". I don't know if real deal stans or orange would have sealed the punctures, but I'm not taking a chance with the DIY shit in my race wheels anymore.

Dajerseyrat

Gasoline and styrofoam would be bad for the environment and forest creatures if you leak any out on the trails. The opposite image we as mountain bikers would want to portray. I'm sure whatever chemicals are in Stans are no better but gasoline and styrofoam just sound way worse..
I also assume it would be slightly dangerous rolling around a NJ rock garden with flammable gel inside your tires.??

rick81721

Lothar
Gasoline and styrofoam would be bad for the environment and forest creatures if you leak any out on the trails. The opposite image we as mountain bikers would want to portray. I'm sure whatever chemicals are in Stans are no better but gasoline and styrofoam just sound way worse..
I also assume it would be slightly dangerous rolling around a NJ rock garden with flammable gel inside your tires.??

Eh don't worry about it - this mix works great!

Top Bottom