Finish Line tubeless sealant

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I have sealed many tires in my days, never had I had an issue like this. It seems to seal up holds air, go back the next day and it's flat. Every bike I used Stans on sealed almost instantly.
What could I possibly be doing wrong this time that has worked dozens of times in the past for me?? And I never said the problem was the tires I said it was the sealant. It has dog shit reviews..And the company even retracted aka back peddled, on their original claims that it was for the life of the tire and never dries out..

This stuff is not good. Stan's all day everyday.

qclabrat

@Dajerseyrat
Which rim and tires are you using?
I've had the darnest time getting WTB Kom with a few different tires including Bonty XR4s. Have tired 3 types of sealant including Stan's but not Finish Line. I suggest as Paul mentioned, retape and new valve. Assume the front is the same setup?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
@Dajerseyrat It's probably not your setup, but the Finish Line itself. It seems to take a long time to truly coat the tire. I have a bottle in one fat bike tire that took several weeks before it stopped deflating over time. This tire pops on and will stay inflated over night without any sealant. It's now over 6 months old and still works as it should, but for the first month I thought it was crap. Stick with Stan's if you want easy setup.

mwlikesbikes

If the bike shop guys all say Stan’s I’d say go with it. It saved me at HOH last week. Got a puncture, the stuff spewed out of the hole & sealed up in about 30 seconds. Topped off the air and I was good for the next 40 miles.

one piece crank

I have FL in my SS front tire, ride the same trails as my Fat bike with orange seal. Fat bike picks up at least a dozen thorns a year, but the SS none. So basically, I’ve never had opportunity it’s to actually test the FL, but I’m worried about it, so it’s coming out during the rebuild.

Dajerseyrat

Well after 48 hours I got it to seal finally. Tried adding more, replaced a valve core and tightened the valve, spun the damn tire for 5 minutes, and put it up to the max pressure to sit overnight. Lost a few PSI but it seems to be holding. I see some sealant residue on the bead just after the valve, so I assume that's where it was leaking from.
I'm gonna give it a fair shake before I dismiss it as complete garbage. But based on some of the comments I have read, it will probably be coming out of my tires soon.

qclabrat

I wonder if finish line first to coat the inside then afterwards use less Stans to seat and puncture resist works.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have tires that are really bad at sealing (not tubeless ready) that don't seal with sealant until I get a good ride or two. I can fill them with air every day and spin them all I want but it's not until going for a ride that they really seal up.

I only use Stan's though but I'm sure others are similar.

qclabrat

btw: is the 32oz the largest size for Stan's need to do many wheels
I like the way it seals holes so probably going there

02camaro

what is wrong with stans? i think i added sealant once all year last year, tires held pressure within a pound for more than a week. can it get better?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Forget this stuff. Every shop guy I know says it’s garbage.

Run stan’s Sealant. He made this category and in a real way we own Stan for making tubeless for the masses a thing. He’s been tinkering with this formula for a very long time.

I Run 1/2 and 1/2 standard & race sealant. This combo works wonders. The race sealant dies out too fast otherwise and is pricey. This is trick I leaned from a Stans employee.

When starting with a new tire, use more sealant than you think. Some brands of tires will absorb a fair bit of sealant into the casing.

Grease the threads on your valves so you can run them a bit tighter and get them off by hand later. Remove the cores once in a while and clean them out.

As a side, don’t assume you can mix and match brands of sealants within the same tire. This can end up creating a science experiment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom