Finding Chi and Feng Shui for 2017

qclabrat

okay getting some things done, but always get distracted when in the man cave areas in the basement.
Gone through all my clothes, shoes, bedding, and kids outerwear. Made 4 piles: (1) give to relatives, (2) donate, (3) rags, (4) trash.
Drawers in office, bedrooms and common areas have been organized. We'll have the cleaner stay longer next week to do the windows. They wiped down the furniture and doors each time they are here, so my listed isn't necessarily all to do but to see that it gets done. Cleaned out one of the fridges, we have two in the kitchen, but still need to defrost the basement chest freezer. This is a good time to do this since it's cold outside. Think I'll work for home today and make that happen. Also made sure all indoor bulbs and the batteries and battery back ups are refreshed. Making progress but still quite a bit to go.

Again stuck terribly with I go into the bike shop and little chance it's getting converted back to an indoor driving range anytime soon, that will need to wait till after new years. This is my organized chaos every time I work on bikes. I'm working on getting the right parts this time then set it and forget, rather than trying to make it work. My holiday stuff is also in the back corner which is why there are boxes everywhere. Maybe this weekend I'll put away the tree?
WP_20170110_09_03_34_Pro.jpg

My bike mess was here but moved inside to accommodate my overwintering goldfish in the garage. I'll need to reorganize it as my daughter wants to do some woodworking this winter/spring and is interested in using the Shopsmith Mark V hidden in the back.
WP_20170110_09_04_20_Pro.jpg

Also working on cleaning the listening room, see how my mind works?..., sorting through my comic collection to go on Bay this year. Found a few gems, but mostly worthless. This is where I squandered my paper route money. Keeping about 50 and the 500-600 gets sold this year. Again more piles, but not yet gone.
WP_20170110_09_02_47_Pro.jpg

Lastly, one thing I failed to mention in the OP is the digital junk, pictures, videos, music, movies, etc. Cleaned out phone, cameras and main computer this weekend. I try to do pictures and videos after each time we come back from a long vacation. Took me about 6 hrs to preview, edit, label, file and backup. I don't mind it, but can really catch up to me if I let it go, it used to be so much easier with film.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
sell your comics in bulk - i did, you'll get a better price than onsey-twoseying it off. plus you'll get rid of it all in one shot. i had a large collection, most of it was worth something and i had numerical ordered from the first issue through whatever. list it out and get rid of it.

qclabrat

sell your comics in bulk - i did, you'll get a better price than onsey-twoseying it off. plus you'll get rid of it all in one shot. i had a large collection, most of it was worth something and i had numerical ordered from the first issue through whatever. list it out and get rid of it.
where did you sell them? I have a few golden age ones with will go into my retirement and Pivot funds

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
where did you sell them? I have a few golden age ones with will go into my retirement and Pivot funds

eBay, but it was a while ago. i looked into consignment and the cut is too deep in prices. i think you may be able to do the same thing on Amazon or Facebook now. Those Facebook sale groups are pretty nice.

qclabrat

This last post made me realize how OCD I am .. I cannot read that post and concentrate due to all the clutter...
Yeah, I've been diagnosed with adult ADHD and getting things done is hard for me. Reason for this thread is to get my shit together for 2017. Limiting distractions are the only way for me if I need to finish something. My kids unfortunately got my genetics and I'm finally figuring out that I'm not setting a good example. I have a 5 day migration project at work I need to finish tomorrow and I haven't even started. Shutting down now to cause I've only got 30hrs left. See you folks on Wednesday night...

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A listening room? How big is your house that you have a dedicated listening room?:rolleyes:

The Kalmyk

No not yet. Just doing cosmetic things, mostly painting. Only plan to replace double vanity in master bath. Market seems really hot around here, 2 neighbors sold their houses in a few weeks late last year.

After 30 years in the hills of Skillman my parents sold. It went quick

qclabrat

most of the list is done, the hard part of decluttering and tossing out things in the basement just isn't going to be done by Saturday. I've resorted to making really good piles of what I need to donate or sell for now. It was ambitious but not possible given the collections of over 20 years. I'll shoot to get those piles out of the house by my wife's birthday which will be early March, or another 6 weeks.

Enough about cleaning for now, as a pre-new years ritual I go to an eastern doctor with my mom, just because. I'm typically not fond of taking pharma meds due to all the side effects, so always willing to try alternative options. About two weeks ago, I went to a new doctor my mom's been visiting. He's has a second floor office on Mott St near the center of all the supermarkets if you know the area. After a short interview of my health history and recent symptoms, then the all important pulse measurement, he diagnosed me with chronic fatigue. It was kind of obvious if the bags under may eyes were not obvious enough, I also told him I sleep between 5-6 hrs a day. He prescribed me an herbal concoction which I also purchased from his office and was told to take it for a week straight. Dr Tan did have some advice which I did take to heart and figured I share it here. Beside sleeping more, he did recommend that I find some time to rest (not sleep). In particular he noted that Americans tend to push themselves to the limits excessively and do not spend enough time for recovery. This includes being at work, home and extra curricular activities like running and biking. One exercise he recommended was to close my eyes for a few minutes several times a day, its not mediation but instead a way for your senses to slow down and lets your body recharge. That's why those 20 min power naps are so useful if you can do it with out falling into a deep sleep.

The Squirrel

After catching up, here is my input:

https://konmari.com/

https://vanwinkles.com/inside-japans-weird-sleep-culture-inemuri-sleeping-at-work

The Marie Kondo book was good. I started to organize and those places I did, are great and I keep up with it. I just need to tackle the rest of the house. The book is Tidying Up .

Now Inemuri is interesting. I get Japanese exec's popping in every now and then and they'll nod right in the middle of a meeting. And I'm like, "Dood, don't fly to NY just to take a nap!" Now I get it.

qclabrat

waiting for herbs
WP_20170108_13_11_12_Pro.jpg

you boil the herbs for an hour and make a tea, it's really bitter
WP_20170110_12_58_14_Pro.jpg

here's the dr's report, says to stock up on ginger, scallions, cinnamon, honey, etc. Also a few items to avoid for my ulcer and arthritic joints.
WP_20170108_17_15_52_Pro.jpg

also found out one of my favorite shops in town was closing down, been going to this tofu shop since '75. All the good shit here is just about gone. It's on Mott near Pell, only open a few more days till new years. Sad
WP_20170108_14_08_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20170108_14_08_10_Pro.jpg

qclabrat

Hey Walt curious of your opinion on acupuncture. Placebo effect?

ironically I've never had to use acupuncture, I know many athletes swear by it, I'm sure someone here could share their views.
No, I don't think it's a kook remedy like skull drilling if that's your question.

What's been getting popular is the cupping technique, you may recall seeing Phelps with the circular marks on his back. Just like Guasha or Graston here in the US, it improves blood circulation by bring it to the surface, and suppose to help with recovery and remove toxins. My experience has only been with Guasha and I won't lie, it's painfull, like in the 8-9 scale at times. Cupping isn't painful and much less invasive. Some feel its a bit like torture, but the relief afterwards in genuine. I guess that could be the same reason why you find execs at S&M bars.

landscape-1470859042-1470662821-michael-phelps.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
ironically I've never had to use acupuncture, I know many athletes swear by it, I'm sure someone here could share their views.
No, I don't think it's a kook remedy like skull drilling if that's your question.

From what I've read there's no rigorous clinical evidence that acupuncture works above placebo effect - my wife tried it years ago and felt it did some good but the effect was transient. TCM as you describe is completely different as it is heritage herbal medicine which is the basis for modern chemotherapeutics.

That cupping is whacky but I don't know the theory behind it.

The Squirrel

From what I've read there's no rigorous clinical evidence that acupuncture works above placebo effect - my wife tried it years ago and felt it did some good but the effect was transient. TCM as you describe is completely different as it is heritage herbal medicine which is the basis for modern chemotherapeutics.

That cupping is whacky but I don't know the theory behind it.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...ved=0ahUKEwjm_PLy193RAhWmhFQKHaRCB_gQgQMIGDAA

Some of these are mixed, but what's interesting is:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0001577
https://bmccomplementalternmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6882-6-25

which discusses standards for clinical studies of Acupuncture and the review of studies post change.

I regularly go to acupuncture. For pain issues, I find it very effective. Not permanent, but effective. I get these pinched nerve pains my toes and balls of my feet which make it rough to walk around. One treatment and it's gone for a long time. 6 months or longer. I've been having shoulder pain from lifting and it works real well for that as well. When I'm painless, I just feel good after a treatment. Placebo, idunno. There are other things that change during these non-pain treatments, but I won't discuss them on a public forum. Would I survive if they didn't change, I think so.

rick81721

Lothar
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...ved=0ahUKEwjm_PLy193RAhWmhFQKHaRCB_gQgQMIGDAA

Some of these are mixed, but what's interesting is:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0001577
https://bmccomplementalternmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6882-6-25

which discusses standards for clinical studies of Acupuncture and the review of studies post change.

I regularly go to acupuncture. For pain issues, I find it very effective. Not permanent, but effective. I get these pinched nerve pains my toes and balls of my feet which make it rough to walk around. One treatment and it's gone for a long time. 6 months or longer. I've been having shoulder pain from lifting and it works real well for that as well. When I'm painless, I just feel good after a treatment. Placebo, idunno. There are other things that change during these non-pain treatments, but I won't discuss them on a public forum. Would I survive if they didn't change, I think so.

Interesting - do you get electrical stimulation acupuncture or just conventional? Electrical stimulation is usually excluded from analyses as there is a rational mechanism for efficacy. This review from BMJ included electrical stimulation studies and finds little effect:

http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.a3115?view=long&pmid=19174438

I guess my basic issue with it is similar to the religion discussion - one has to believe that a human physiology theory developed thousands of years ago is correct and modern medical science is wrong. Anywho, glad it works for you.

Last edited:

The Squirrel

I've never had it. I'll check the study, thanks.

I understand. On those non pain appointments it could easily be placebo. It's hard to tell. What I do know is I feel better when I leave than when I arrived. Is it because of the needles or just laying on a table and relaxing for 50 minutes? I continue to go back because of this stress release and if I'm just paying for table time instead of needle time it's fine either way. For me, there are worse ways to spend an hour.

I have noticed a far larger difference changing my diet. Acupuncture is a supplement, so to speak.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
My w1f3 has asked for a reputable source for red rice yeast, as she would like to lower her chol with something natural.
she has been on statins for a long time. the readings like to shoot up to 300 when stopped - and her physical fitness doesn't make any difference,
her father was the same way. and he endured 3 heart surgeries.

on-line? local stores? i guess she found that that some are better than others?

Top Bottom