Finding Chi and Feng Shui for 2017

qclabrat

2016 was a forgettable year for me for a variety of reasons. For the first time I'm seeing my career path slow down significantly. 40 something is suppose to be your professional peak, if it is I'm experiencing a dramatic fall on the other side. Health, despite keeping a similar exercise routine as my previous years, I've gained 10 pounds and been nursing chronic neck/back, joint and tendon injuries all year. Also having my younger turn into a teen has certainly contributed to my gray hair which is receding faster than lowtide.

Many of the schools are now readopting the concept of the "whole child" philosophy where the curriculum not only focuses on the academic and physical aspects of the student, but also the emotional intelligence. I think as adults we should also practice these Taoist-like principles and lessen the emotional stresses and barriers.

Chinese New Year is Jan 28th, traditionally now is a time we do a thorough cleaning around the home. This year I'm going through each room and throwing out/donating stuff I won't need. Being a pack-rat, it's not an easy task. But what I've done so far hasn't been too painful and makes my wife smile each time I fill a garbage bag. I never thought I'd find a sliver of happiness in getting rid of my clutter, perhaps this is the right direction is finding my Chi this year. For those interested, I listed my tasks to prep for the New Year below. Most are common sense and you don't have to be Chinese or Taoist to follow.

General Cleaning

□ Wash floors and walls or vacuum

□ Wipe cobwebs from ceilings and corners

□ Wash windows and frames

□ Wipe down any cabinets or furniture

□ Wipe down doors with cloth

□ Open windows to air room out

□ Check smoke alarms/carbon monoxide alarm

□ Check alarm system

□ Check light bulbs and replace if needed

Kitchen

□ Clean out fridge

□ Clean out oven

□ Organize cabinets, drawers and throw out old food

□ Clean out microwave

□ Bleach drains and sink

□ Move out dishwasher, fridge and washing machine and clean behind

□ Deep clean washing machine and dishwasher on empty cycle

□ Throw away any broken kitchen items

□ Replace water filters (fridge, Brita, coffeemaker)

□ Clean filters in vents

□ Place fresh fruit in bowl, especially oranges to attract wealth

Bathrooms

□ Deep clean bath, sink, bidet, toilet

□ Bleach drains and toilet

□ Wash walls and behind units

Dining room

□ Throw away any clutter

□ Organize drawers

□ Vacuum or wash curtains and blinds

□ Clean all furniture

Living Room

□ Throw away any clutter

□ Organize drawers

□ Clean all furniture

□ Wash or wipe sofa down

□ Steam clean carpets

□ Clean television/AV equipment

□ Clean the fireplace

Bedrooms

□ Organize drawers

□ Throw away any clutter or old clothes

□ Flip or rotate mattress

□ Wash sheets

□ Steam clean carpets

□ Vacuum and dust under furniture and bed

Basement

□ Remove all clutter and throw away

□ Check for holes or gaps in foundation/sub

□ Check water tank

□ Check HVAC/change filters

Garage

□ Wash down garage door

□ Sweep floor

□ Wipe walls and ceiling down

□ Clear any clutter and throw away rubbish

□ Touch up any paint

□ Open garage door to air out

Cars

□ Wash cars or take to car wash

□ Check tire pressures and tread

□ Check oil level

□ Clean inside of car

□ Check coolant level

□ Replace air freshener

□ Clear air filter

□ Top up with gas

□ Fill washer fluid tank

Garden and driveway

□ Keep grass area clear of leaves and branches

□ Tidy area around trees and hedges

□ Wash down patio or decking and if necessary fix up damaged areas

□ Remove all weeds and dead growth from garden including broken furniture and pots

□ Wash all outside windows in the home both top and bottom

□ Touch up with paint on places possibly damaged by winter moisture

□ Clear drains and gutters

□ Wash out recycling bins

□ Clear out shed or poolhouse

□ Clean swimming pool/sauna/hot tub

□ Clean flower pots

□ Check security lighting and replace bulbs if necessary

□ Water plants if necessary

□ Organize your tools and power equipment

□ Clean out barbecue/fire pit/smoker

□ Clean doormats

□ Clear driveway and entrance to home to attract Chi

Mountain Bike Mike

What about financial house cleaning? Things like....

- Rationalize previous year's expenses
- Review expenses, research options and ways to improve service or decrease expenses?
- Review investments and setup some time to talk to an adviser or plan on making adjustments
- Draft a yearly / monthly budget or plan
- Set financial goals
- Setup a want / need list... Assuming as you make your rounds, you'll discover where you need to spend some money.
- Purge / shred old filing and paperwork

The Kalmyk

Wow man this is great... Hit on something you highlighted. Twice a month every window and door in my house gets opened simultaneously. My grandmother being a devout Buddhist, it was a practice she followed her whole life. It really brings the outside in. I'm surprised to see this mentioned on this site.

Here is one: when a storm front comes in sit in a dark room/hallway (no windows) and pray. My aige made my cousin and I do this as young boys. I can still recite the chant today. Everything electronic was turned off and no answering the telephone. Man, I know some people on here may think that is over the top but for me it's these small experiences that I believe have had big imprints on my subconscious.

Last edited:

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I live in a small house and in the middle of cleaning/purging/orginizing the house of crap. It's only 2 of us and amazed at how much stuff we acumulate.

What's really amazing is the attachment I/we have to stuff. I mean it's just stuff.

Just started and go rid of 4 big bags of stuff plus tons of stuff to the library and local thrift shop.

Once that's done I'll need to do finances with the wife.

rick81721

Lothar
Good luck Walt. I've started making lists on my phone - gotta do one on all the chores to get the house ready to put on the market. Ticked off a few already

qclabrat

What about financial house cleaning? Things like....

- Rationalize previous year's expenses
- Review expenses, research options and ways to improve service or decrease expenses?
- Review investments and setup some time to talk to an adviser or plan on making adjustments
- Draft a yearly / monthly budget or plan
- Set financial goals
- Setup a want / need list... Assuming as you make your rounds, you'll discover where you need to spend some money.
- Purge / shred old filing and paperwork
I've tried this when my kids were younger, it took a lot of time going over monthly statements and cash receipts. After 4-5 years I just let my wife handle the financials. My key to saving is to have the more frugal and conservative spouse handle the money. She lets me know when I'm off trend from time to time. Btw, good call on the old paperwork, I've got two boxes which need shredding.

Seriously...That list just scrolled on forever!!! Lol
I know, I tried to do a cut and paste from word to compress the formating, but still double spaced it....

I live in a small house and in the middle of cleaning/purging/orginizing the house of crap. It's only 2 of us and amazed at how much stuff we acumulate.

What's really amazing is the attachment I/we have to stuff. I mean it's just stuff.

Just started and go rid of 4 big bags of stuff plus tons of stuff to the library and local thrift shop.

Once that's done I'll need to do finances with the wife.
I know exactly what you mean, the last house we lived in was less than half the size of the house we live in today. Before I moved, we threw out lots of junk but still moved 198 moving boxes. This does not include furniture and large items like BBQ grills. Just checked the list, box#1 was CDs and box#198 was fly tying supplies. Neither have been used much in the last six years. My next move I've committed to having no more than 100 boxes when we down size. At the moment I have about 50 boxes of bike, music and A/V stuff in the house alone. Getting to 100 will be a challenge.

qclabrat

Good luck Walt. I've started making lists on my phone - gotta do one on all the chores to get the house ready to put on the market. Ticked off a few already
Rick have you had your realtor recommend what to do? they will let you know where to focus your time and money. We sold our last home when the housing market was not great. Took tips from our realtor and house was sold in a few weeks.

My in-laws lived nearby at the time so my wife and kids temporarily moved in with them when we did the presale renovations and after it was listed. Only I lived in the house during that period. Made it easy on everyone not having to keep the home spotless all the time and we were able to stage the home differently to make it appear larger. But most importantly, we didn't need to have everyone bolt out of the house when someone wanted to see the house. Good luck Rick with the home sale.

rick81721

Lothar
Rick have you had your realtor recommend what to do? they will let you know where to focus your time and money. We sold our last home when the housing market was not great. Took tips from our realtor and house was sold in a few weeks.

My in-laws lived nearby at the time so my wife and kids temporarily moved in with them when we did the presale renovations and after it was listed. Only I lived in the house during that period. Made it easy on everyone not having to keep the home spotless all the time and we were able to stage the home differently to make it appear larger. But most importantly, we didn't need to have everyone bolt out of the house when someone wanted to see the house. Good luck Rick with the home sale.

No not yet. Just doing cosmetic things, mostly painting. Only plan to replace double vanity in master bath. Market seems really hot around here, 2 neighbors sold their houses in a few weeks late last year.

qclabrat

No not yet. Just doing cosmetic things, mostly painting. Only plan to replace double vanity in master bath. Market seems really hot around here, 2 neighbors sold their houses in a few weeks late last year.
I had to look up your town and see it's in Montgomery, which has a very good school system. No question on why sales and prices are strong in your area. Our town was a blue ribbon district years ago, now kind of middle of the road and home prices are showing that.

woody

@woody needs to illustrate this
Idea note_20170105_205423_01.jpg

qclabrat

I'm exhausted just from READING your list, but there were a couple good reminders on there.
haha, thats my life this month, biyf is officially on hold. I'm decluttering my listening room/personal space today, my old comic books are going to take a while to go through, but found some gems like the first appearance of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Still have my Xmen and Avengers to go over.

Top Bottom