Finally Got out to Nassau

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So last week I finally got out to Nassau and rode pretty much the whole park. Yeah, we had a short track race there a few years ago but I rode the ST loop twice a few weeks before and it was in the snow. Not exactly the ideal primer. Last week I finally got out and rode it in full, with no snow.

For the TLDR crowd: I went back the next day with @Dominique. I really enjoyed it.

The longer version would go something like this. I was kinda blown away by how good it was. Now, mind you, expectations play a huge role in a lot of this stuff so you need to understand my expectations were moderate at best. I know it's a small property and there are only so many trails you can put in here. Well I have to say, @Jeffreywoliver and @thatcher simpson have done a damn fine job making the absolute best of what they have to work with. My understanding is that Thatcher has a lot to do with the system here, and it seems clear to me that he's spent a little time doing some BMX stuff or riding Kingdom Trails or both. A lot of zip & flow and a shit ton of fun.

The park has a little bit of everything, and is actually a great place to bring a beginner looking to move on from the Six Mile Run/Allaire-type places. A few rocky sections, some up & down, lots of turns, and a little bit of elevation.

This park is slightly closer to me than Six Mile. And while I'm not sure it is quite up to that standard yet, I will likely split my time between here & there when I have a little bit of time to ride. I think in 1:20 I got 10 miles in, which does include some doubling back but not a ton of it.

The standard loop of the park on both sides was about an hour at a moderate pace. You go faster, the park gets smaller. And if you really want you can link up with the Columbia Trail and hit some of Vorhees.

Stay tuned, because in 2 weeks from today @jShort is going to lead a ride there. Details will be announced this coming week. If you have not been there, I highly recommend you check it out.

Thanks to those who had a hand in making this place what it is!

such a fun place. watching that place grow has been super fun, from the 4 miles of trails on the side with the short track to the connection of spring side to the new bmx style jumps being built. the trails there seem to improve every time that I go. thatcher and Jeff do an awesome job with the place considering the small acreage they have to work with.

This place is my new local spot. A ride right out my garage with this, Vorhees, Columbia Trail, and some road is a 30 mile loop with about 3k feet of climbing. Really nice to have a quality trail system close by.
Lots of fun rollers, lots of bermed out turns, and a variety of jumps. You can ride any kind of bike here and have a blast.
Hopefully we get a good turn out for the group ride.

@Norm @Norm @Norm @Norm

@jShort could we possibly do a group double-park from the parking lot of voorhees? Hit the highlander trail from 513 and head down to nassau then up voorhees. That's a fun ride, but not too many people know how to connect it.

@jShort could we possibly do a group double-park from the parking lot of voorhees? Hit the highlander trail from 513 and head down to nassau then up voorhees. That's a fun ride, but not too many people know how to connect it.

I'd like to but that may be a little bit much for some people. We're trying to get a big showing for these group rides and don't want to scare anyone off.

I can post up another group ride and advertise it as a more advanced ride. I'll tag you when I do

I hope we are able to make this one. Wanted to ride Nassau for quite a while. Wish Capers the Cartographer would go to work on this place!
Ed and Pat

I hope we are able to make this one. Wanted to ride Nassau for quite a while. Wish Capers the Cartographer would go to work on this place!
Ed and Pat

I've captured the entire Nassau Trail (as of 1/7/15) for Jeff and Thatcher on Open Street Map by riding the trails as they have become available, capturing them in a gps file, and tracing them to the OSM master map. File downloads for Garmin devices are available for free here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/.

did the area get much rain yesterday or today? I wanted to take a ride out there if the trails were good. Thanks

That's impressive @woody - how was the railbed from Cushetunk to Annandale? Some solid work there, impressive!

better hide that from @jimvreeland ...he's going to hook 6mr & CR to it.....

will be hitting nassau this week.

Took my daughter out to Nassau on Sunday while my wife and younger one rode Columbia Trail. We only rode about 6.5 miles total since she ran a 5k earlier in the day and her allergies were kicking in pretty hard, but she liked the place. We'll definitely be back.

Also met @woody briefly while we were coming out of the trails onto the road. Good to meet you.

how was the railbed from Cushetunk to Annandale?
RR bed is great (wide and smooth) until the rt78 crossing, where the tracks go double-wide and squeeze you down into the dear carcass ditch. Ideal route at that point is through the correctional facility, but I chickened out when the razor wire and official-looking vehicles came into view, so you can see I went back to the tracks till Anandale.
In theory, you could ride the RR all the way to where it hits the Voorhees loop and totally avoid road. Gotta bone up on my skinny-riding skills and ride right on the track...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions