Fellow Fatheadss only!!!

going to post these again as this day will live on forever
21863_288532239332_3722329_n.jpg
21863_288532284332_7794401_n.jpg

and singlespeeds
WhenI rode mooch after short track the only tracks I saw doing the h2h course were skinnies...and. O foot prints atleast until the tech uphill section. The difference is when it gets crusty and rutty/bumpy the slick bigger, contouring tires havea clear advantage. Yesterday at hartshorne was more of a skills clinic than fitness.

:thumbsup:
Fun! It's a small (tiny) local trail not far from my house that I've dubbed "Home Cook'n". Work prevented me from getting out early when the going was good :(. It was pretty dense (good) but very "grabby" (slow going). Wish I had off today because it's going to be awesome now that it set up a bit.

Might hit Allaire when I get home today. Should be nice and crunchy.:thumbsup:

Almost Perfect Conditions.....

Central Jersey we got 4-6 inches and then some rain.

Trails that are virgin and are exposed to wind have a perfect crust on top.

Trails with yesterdays foot prints or that have a lot of deer tracks are tough.

Trails deeper in the woods that have no wind chill are impossible, as the bike just falls through.

20170315_133327.jpg

Almost Perfect Conditions.....

Central Jersey we got 4-6 inches and then some rain.

Trails that are virgin and are exposed to wind have a perfect crust on top.

Trails with yesterdays foot prints or that have a lot of deer tracks are tough.

Trails deeper in the woods that have no wind chill are impossible, as the bike just falls through.

View attachment 49396

Nice pic, is that Mercer?

WhenI rode mooch after short track the only tracks I saw doing the h2h course were skinnies...and. O foot prints atleast until the tech uphill section. The difference is when it gets crusty and rutty/bumpy the slick bigger, contouring tires havea clear advantage. Yesterday at hartshorne was more of a skills clinic than fitness.

IMO fat bikes are worthwhile in NJ if you meet one of these criteria:

a) You like to ride it year round (or at HoH).
b) You have money to burn.

The conditions where a skinny bike can't handle something that a fat bike can't in the snow happen about 1-2-3 times a year in NJ .. and we are looking at a few climbs that skinny tires can't handle.

That said, I have tried fat bike in the snow and it was more fun in the snow to me than skinny tires. When I meet condition B, I may consider buying one and perhaps, it will push me toward condition A.

I don't want to buy a fat bike and keep in the garage 362 days of the year.

Last edited:

The conditions where a skinny bike can't handle something that a fat bike can't in the snow happen about 1-2-3 times a year in NJ .. and we are looking at a few climbs that skinny tires can't handle.

That said, I have tried fat bike in the snow and it was more fun in the snow to me than skinny tires. When I meet condition B, I may consider buying one and perhaps, it will push me toward condition A.

Asshole

Back
Top Bottom