fatbike saturation

qclabrat

have we hit saturation in the fat bike market? I've noticed a huge drop off in used bikes prices compared to last year. Seems like the market is fairly settled on the two hub sizes and both appear to be here to stay for at least another year.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Saturation? No.
Equilibrium? Yeah, I think so; at least in this part of the country. It's not really a novelty any more but it IS a legitimate and accepted sub-type with a strong following... like Hockey.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So - if the used market prices are falling, there is a glut, or obsolescence.
new fat bike sales are strong.
this would seem to indicate that the current owners are upgrading, and the new entries are getting new bikes because they are superior to the old products, and the price points are meeting the need.

The weight is way down, sizing seems to be standardizing. more choices in wheel sets. Generally available in
the middle of the range. So i'd probably say people are upgrading, and entering with new bikes.
one might look at the price of used accessories (second or special wheelsets, tires) if these maintain value,
but the frames/whole bikes are not - that strengthens the idea that new is the wtg.

That completes my homework for Business Analysis on a Napkin.

pibbles

this would seem to indicate that the current owners are upgrading, and the new entries are getting new bikes because they are superior to the old products, and the price points are meeting the need.

The weight is way down, sizing seems to be standardizing. more choices in wheel sets. Generally available in
the middle of the range. So i'd probably say people are upgrading, and entering with new bikes.
one might look at the price of used accessories (second or special wheelsets, tires) if these maintain value,
but the frames/whole bikes are not - that strengthens the idea that new is the wtg.

For extra credit could you explain to me why a new (2yr old) leftover beargrease is the same price as a 2017 beargrease?

The Kalmyk

Production numbers vs. last year? Up or down?

Projecting 5 years out I don't see growth. Atmo

Ebikes?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
For extra credit could you explain to me why a new (2yr old) leftover beargrease is the same price as a 2017 beargrease?

seller doesn't realize the declining value of old inventory vs eventually someone will buy it at that price... the shops i frequent will bend over backwards to move the old stuff.
i got a great deal on my 2011 paragon at the end of 2012. there is also nostalgia, but 2 years seems a bit too short for that.

Top Bottom