Fatbike + LBI

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey all-

I'm heading down to LBI for a few days next week and want to bring the fatbike. Anyone have any experience riding the beaches there? Any restrictions on where to ride? Assuming the very south end by Holgate is off limits but anything else?

Also, assuming even if I don't get the bike salty I'll want to rinse it with fresh water on the daily?

What about PSI? Running 8F/8.5R in north jersey.

Any/all info and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

kidzach

Not a fat bike rider. But I can tell you the sand in most spots on LBI is very plush/soft. Unlike Stone Harbor where it is much firmer and I ride my old 26er on the beaches there a lot. Not sure how well it would work or is allowed during summer in LBI. Just checked out Wells Mills, 2.5 miles off exit 69. Place was decent and I'll be going back from time to time to get my mtb fix. Sorry I could not have better info for you. Good luck

moray42

Merman
Hey all-

I'm heading down to LBI for a few days next week and want to bring the fatbike. Anyone have any experience riding the beaches there? Any restrictions on where to ride? Assuming the very south end by Holgate is off limits but anything else?

Also, assuming even if I don't get the bike salty I'll want to rinse it with fresh water on the daily?

What about PSI? Running 8F/8.5R in north jersey.

Any/all info and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Holgate gets closed off seasonally, April - September. Rode from the lot to the south point of the island and back in the fall. With 4x4 traffic and steep eroded beach it wasn't great.

North end was a better ride last time I went. Beach is wider, so the pitch of the slope isn't too bad. Park at the lighthouse lot, ride out the gate and left down the first side street. There's an access at the end that drops into a maintenance road deal in the upper dunes.

4-6 psi, and rinsed with a spray bottle back at the car.
image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/279935453/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1428272238

sjeronis

If you want to ride the beach you'll have to do it before 9 or 10am when the lifeguards go on duty. I was in Surf City last week and they were doing a beach reclamation project north of 12 street.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm yeah, I still ride but my volume dropped by about 98% when I was forced to grow up, be a big boy, and get one of those office jobs that's aren't all they're cracked up to be.
@sjeronis the plan was always early. I lived down there for awhile so I know the deal with the guards.
@capedoc 100% aware of the greenheads.

This is starting to sound like I should pack the road bike instead. Or, as @pooriggy suggests, go native. Normally I'd just bring my long board, but knee surgery

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
#roadbike point to point just watch the extremely bad drivers in beach haven who don't look when backing out from head on parking.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
#roadbike point to point just watch the extremely bad drivers in beach haven who don't look when backing out from head on parking.
Yeah this. Even road cycling is kinda boring on LBI. The only challenge is not getting waffled by a car.
Seriously, more fun to be had on the water then on land when on the island.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was just hoping to get some miles in, but maybe I'll check out an ocean kayak instead. Bring the fly rod and creep around.

@capedoc you have a local hookup there?

huffster

And plan on having a headwind one way and a tailwind the other. I like to try and plan for the tailwind returning. Sometimes that headwind and flat-as-shit road can take all the fun out of riding a bike.

Top Bottom