Fat biking between Northern NJ and Ray's in Cleveland

avc8130

A buddy and I are driving out to Ray's Monday. The plan is to ride all afternoon and evening there and stay overnight.

Just realized Ray's doesn't open until noon so now we are thinking about bringing fat bikes as well and trying to find a cool trail system to hit along interstate 80 on the way home.

Anyone have any suggestions?

avc8130

Any suggestions on how to figure out conditions? I don't want to plan to ride a certain area and get there to find a terrible mud mess. I hate when people destroy our trails, I certainly don't want to go out destroying someone else's.

ac

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rothrock. Not sure how fun it'll be if there's snow though.

@soundz?

Rothrock could be fun on the fat bike. Even with a lot of snow, there are miles and miles of dirt roads that get somewhat plowed and probably get snowmobile use. I was there some years ago on a skinny bike + 4 inches of snow, and there was enough packdown to ride a lot of the single track.

I've posted on NMBA's FB page before for conditions and someone got back to me fairly quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/Nittany-Mountain-Biking-Association-388891851217663/

Ellicottville, NY is another option, but I would not recommend it if there is any amount of snow, and it's about 1.5hr extra of driving.

There is also less epic stuff in OH like the East Rim trails, Hampton Hills, West Branch and Bedford.

Also per @teabagger11, Scranton PA is worth a detour. Lackawana, Moosic, Prompton, Mountain Top.

Last edited:

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ray's is so awesome and unique I would just get as much time possible there . My 2 cents

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
We thought of that, but they don't open until 2pm and they are only ~1 hour closer to home.

We also watched a lot of videos, it doesn't look like the Wheel Mill even compares to Ray's for a MTB oriented rider. Do we have the wrong impression?

ac
no idea. I have never been to either place, but i think you're correct.

Top Bottom