Evidence of new tick-borne illness

Beginning of a tick bite? Found this on the bottom of my daughter's neck........not sure what it looks like prior to the bullseye.......thx

View attachment 52771
View attachment 52772
I have about 20 of the same looking bites after riding at Belleplain on saturday. I've noticed that some people, like me, get welts from bug bites. I know this because others I know get bit and they don't seem to react, but my body goes berzerk. Hopefully your daughter is the same, but definitely keep an eye on it.

Rode allaire friday and have that exact spot on my ankle and it itches like crazy. Do yours itch as well? What are you putting on it?

Rode allaire friday and have that exact spot on my ankle and it itches like crazy. Do yours itch as well? What are you putting on it?
Itch like chigger bites, burn in a hot shower...haven't found anything that works yet. This time of year is usually good for Pine Fly bites and if I hadn't pulled ticks off of me I would have bet it was the flies.....something strange happening in the animal kingdom.

Itch like chigger bites, burn in a hot shower...haven't found anything that works yet. This time of year is usually good for Pine Fly bites and if I hadn't pulled ticks off of me I would have bet it was the flies.....something strange happening in the animal kingdom.
Omg I was bitten by something at Waway five weeks ago that itched like nothing ever has, for weeks. I still have scabs with red welts, and scars from where the scabs formed and then kept expanding. Nothing worked to stop the itch it was awful.

On the tick topic though, rode at Mooch and Stephens last Saturday wearing big spray and had: a tick attached to my leg (went under the shorts), a tick crawling up my back at lunch (after I had changed), and a tick in my car. Got home, showered whole body with sponge and did a tick check, did laundry HOT and dried it all (HOT) and put it on my bed to fold it. Later that night .... effing TICK attached to my leg again! It somehow survived a hot wash with bleach. Those things are primordial.

In 27 years of mountain biking (avg. 3 times a week), I've only found 1 attached tick. I'm not a regular user of bug spray, but all of the stories this year are turning me into one. My approach has always been to avoid stopping while in the woods. Ticks are slow and not particularly agile. They'd have to get lucky to catch a ride on you at normal mountain biking speeds if you stay on the trail. If you ride off-trail or through tall grass, that obviously changes the odds in their favor. Moral of the story is don't stop, not even for flats or crashes.

In 27 years of mountain biking (avg. 3 times a week), I've only found 1 attached tick. I'm not a regular user of bug spray, but all of the stories this year are turning me into one. My approach has always been to avoid stopping while in the woods. Ticks are slow and not particularly agile. They'd have to get lucky to catch a ride on you at normal mountain biking speeds if you stay on the trail. If you ride off-trail or through tall grass, that obviously changes the odds in their favor. Moral of the story is don't stop, not even for flats or crashes.
This maybe one reason why SmooveP will not ride with me.

Attachments

• IMG_5053.JPG
    IMG_5053.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 193
My wife and I always do tick checks on our boys when they take showers. I found a tick on my 4 year old son yesterday. This one was latched on the inside of his butt cheek. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was about this big. Even after I pulled it out I wasn't sure it was a tick until it started crawling across the tweezer head.

With all my body hair, molds, scraps and scratches, there is no way in hell I would have seen that little sucker. Be extra diligent.

Last edited:

Try lidocaine wipes. They're sold in medical stores/sometimes CVS/Rite Aid near the first aid section...used for large scraped up areas/bug bites

Found my first deer tick when I got home from a ride. Total 3hrs of riding and then getting home, little F'er was already dug in and difficult to pull out. I'm going to send it off to have it tested

Last edited:
Found my first deer tick when I got home from a ride. Total 3hrs of riding and then getting home, little F'er was already dug in and difficult to pull out. I'm going to send it off to have it tested

Where were you riding? Did you spray yourself before you went out?

I pulled a tiny tick off my sock after a road ride in great swamp. I never even left the pavement.

This sort of stuff makes me nervous... but not enuff to bother with bug spray. Never used it. Rarely get bit.

Lol
I have pulled minimum of 1 tick off everyday last week including one yesterday in church.
I dont get hung up over it, though they do suck literally...

Reactions: rlb
Back
Top Bottom