Estell Manor Conditions

moray42

Merman
That conditions are good tomorrow and someone is around in the a.m. for a tour

Not sure how much it dumped down this way during the day (very soggy first thing this am) since I was in pa, but it may be ok in the morning. As was mentioned, there is enough sand mixed in that the park drains fairly well. Most of the trail is likely to be tacky, but only a few areas that have a high enough water table to get soggy.

A loop of most of the trails in the north end only comes out to around 6 miles, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting around. Going to be working so no ride for me, but here is a link from the short loop around I did on Saturday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/52371027

moray42

Merman
Oh yeah, have to agree about the ticks too. Place can be packed with them. Especially be on the lookout for the small nymphs. Go thru sometimes and come out completely clean, but I most of the ones I have gotten there have been real tiny.

dkocnj

Not sure how much it dumped down this way during the day (very soggy first thing this am) since I was in pa, but it may be ok in the morning. As was mentioned, there is enough sand mixed in that the park drains fairly well. Most of the trail is likely to be tacky, but only a few areas that have a high enough water table to get soggy.

A loop of most of the trails in the north end only comes out to around 6 miles, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting around. Going to be working so no ride for me, but here is a link from the short loop around I did on Saturday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/52371027

It was a dry and sunny day down here, should be fine tomorrow AM.

Optiwizard

face slappers and downed branches litter the trails. picked up a few branches and broke off a few face slappers but trail is dry and no ticks today. wish this trail was longer.

theranch

face slappers and downed branches litter the trails. picked up a few branches and broke off a few face slappers but trail is dry and no ticks today. wish this trail was longer.

Me, Ken Seebeck and Kevin Akeret put in 3hrs of TM last night on the trails. Hit the heavy face slappers and cleaned it up nicely!

Last edited:

Optiwizard

trail was awesome yesterday. No face slappers saw a cx guy and atleast 5 other mountain bikers out there. Im sure even if they don't know who did the work we all thank you!!

theranch

trail was awesome yesterday. No face slappers saw a cx guy and atleast 5 other mountain bikers out there. Im sure even if they don't know who did the work we all thank you!!

It's better for sure. Myself, Kevin Akerat and Ken Seebeck did the the work on the southern part of the loop in the middle of Sept. We need to get back out there to do the other half real soon. I was out there on Thurs night to see how things look. I also saw a couple and one other guy.

moray42

Merman
Not too bad. Dry with normal branch litter. Soft at the normal boggy areas, but less so than average.

Took a trip out to some downed trees @KenS noted recently on the biyf thread. Hiked in with the trail pack, and perhaps a bit more confidence then I should have had.

Big ass tree
image.jpeg

This thing is near 2' diameter. Pretty soft on the outside, but well beyond my 17" saw. Wasn't even going to bother with the axe. Even if I managed to cut it, there was no way to move it. There was a go-around forming to the right that was a bit higher and more firm, so clipped the path clear and roughed in the line.

After that they got smaller.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Couple of logs that were down were pretty dense, so I left the more or less alone besides trimming off any nubs that may snag a wheel.

Notched this one a little, but it was saw was having a hard time. Only maybe 3/4" of additional clearance to help clear the diagonal.
image.jpeg

Cleared out one log from this close spaced set, cut off the "y" branch on the other, cleaned up a couple stubs, and cut the break off the stump to make it a little safer. Ideally would've just cut the stump low, but was getting late and was tough to cut.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sunlight was fading fast at this point, so called it and hiked out. One last side note was that it appears that someone is out marking lines. Didn't see anything rogue opened where I went, but found this one old line closed. Was an option around a tricky log over, but the log is pretty rotted now so doesn't particularly matter.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Nice work out there @moray42 - the re-route looks like the way to go on the first one. very natural looking turn.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Thanks Rick, and sorry i missed you. If you texted 40 mins earlier i would have changed my ride plan and headed over.

moray42

Merman
Thanks Rick, and sorry i missed you. If you texted 40 mins earlier i would have changed my ride plan and headed over.
Not a problem. Grabbed tools in the morning, but everything after that was spur of the moment. Go/no go decision for today wasn't made until i was at my last work stop, which is when I texted. Will probably keep the tools with me the rest of the week, so I'll give you a heads up if I wander over again.

moray42

Merman
Whittling away on assorted maintenance over the last few weeks. With a demo tentatively scheduled for tomorrow, @pibbles and I met up to address a longstanding issue along with the usual.

This mess is a trail that had been run through a lower laurel patch, and even in the driest seasons can retain enough water to become a rutted pit. Result has been a growing opening around the old skinny.
image.jpeg

Plan was to define a single go around, and firm it up by creating a rollover of smaller diameter logs. Gathered some longer deadfall trees, cut to relatively the same length, and layed them out as snug as they would go. Used some smaller branches to fill gaps and firm things up. Then raked a light layer of leaf litter back in, marked the edges, defined the path, and closed the extra bypasses. Not perfect, and may require long term maintenance, but hopefully a start.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hiked the remainder of that part of the loop out. Clipped along the way, and closed up some shortcuts.

Last edited:

moray42

Merman
Update: Rain raised the water table per the usual, and anything we didn't build up is mush. Other than the usual mud and new wind blown mess things are pretty good. Work is holding up under the slight increase in traffic with the demo today.

Tread carefully though, as many new trees have come down with wind last night and this morning.

moray42

Merman
Had a few free minutes this afternoon, so I stopped in to make a few alterations to a new logover brought down during recent high winds. Jim, @pibbles, @rick81721, and I had already created an over and around. Today I stopped in to brush out the around a bit more, and add a slight course correction to smooth the transition.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions