Erie 80 MTB Festival

Discussion in 'Rides, Races and Events' started by Dejay Birtch, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Dejay Birtch

Dejay Birtch New Member

The festival is right around the bend. We hope to see you all on the track and come to enjoy the Festival in Port Jervis, NY. We have a 12,25 and 50 mile rides to choose from, along with a large vendor area and a free concert that will produce hours of fun for all. Not to mention the $5000 in cash/prizes up for grabs and a raffle for a Cannondale Bad Habit complete bike. Yeah, we are gonna have a party and a bike ride that is shutting down the center of town for all to enjoy. This will be an experience not to be missed.
    You can get registered here
    https://www.bikereg.com/erie-80
    and stay up to date with info at StarCrawf.com or at the StarCrawf Promotions FaceBook page.

Spread the word. Thanks a TON!!

Attached Files:

Mare45, Mitch, SSmtbr and 4 others like this.
  2. fidodie

fidodie Well-Known Member Staff Member

3. muddybike

muddybike Well-Known Member Team MTBNJ Halter's

Looking forward to it!

SSmtbr and The Kalmyk like this.
  4. SSmtbr

SSmtbr Member

In for the Erie 40 SS! My mind can handle the 80 edition but my body can't.

Mare45 and fidodie like this.
  5. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

In for 80ss

soundz and SSmtbr like this.
  6. pixychick

pixychick JORBA: Ringwood JORBA.ORG

Unfortunately, I can not make it this year, but I did this last year and the trails are really fun! I highly recommend this event. ...super fun day and awesome trails.

7. SSmtbr

SSmtbr Member

Just got a pre-ride lap in today and the course is super well-marked! Definitely a tough course that seems like you're constantly climbing and some of the new trails are a bit soft that rob your power and momentum all while battling the chunky rocks scattered throughout. @David Taylor and any other SSers...what gearing are you planning on running? Today's ride on 32x20 I felt like I could never get the cadence higher than 50 and may blow up at race pace...Might drop it to 32x22 and throw on my oval 32t. I've got a 24t in reserve but that may be too low.

ReggieHammond likes this.
  8. Sven Migot

Sven Migot Member

How does it compare to Ringwood?

9. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

Singlespeed racing involves pain. That’s all.

SSmtbr likes this.
  10. Sven Migot

Sven Migot Member

Then I must be doing it right...

David Taylor likes this.
  11. SSmtbr

SSmtbr Member

I'd say it feels closest to the white trail in terms of overall rocks and technical requirements; everything is pretty much ridable first time through if you're comfortable with Ringwood. There's rocks scattered everywhere but not in the same technical sense as say Skylands or the Red trail at Ringwood or anything at Jungle. It has more flow but you'll be cruising down a section of trail that's relatively smooth and then slam into a rogue section of rocks that'll rattle you and kill your momentum.

Then again...I turn into the ASS (Angry Single Speeder) every time I ride here, partially because I attack the trails like I would at Stewart when in reality I should probably approach it more like Ringwood so my expectations of the trails are always distorted.

Sven Migot likes this.
  12. ReggieHammond

ReggieHammond Well-Known Member

.....and lots of sharp rocks mixed in.

SSmtbr likes this.
  13. SSmtbr

SSmtbr Member

After reading this morning's email about quite a few 50 mi guys dropping down to 25 miles, I'm almost motivated to try to put myself in the Sport 50 mi and run my 1x setup (no way would my body hold up to grinding SS for 50 miles but having a few bail out gears makes it sound much more appealing). Something about the challenge and test of completing the 80k is screaming at me from within. Of course this will probably lend to an entertaining post-race recap which I'll gladly share if it's noteworthy.

1sh0t1b33r likes this.