Enginerds: Locking out a Full Suspension MTB?

Is it safe to lockout a rear suspension MTB for extended periods of time?

• No, moron.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Yes, jackass.

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In weather like this, I lock out the fork and shock on my Anthem when I ride the road or Columbia Trail-type stuff. Obviously the fork is no issue, but I always felt like I'm straining the rear suspension bits by doing so. What's the deal...is it perfectly fine to lockout the shock or am I better off bobbing up and down for an hour?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Keeping the rear locked will put additional wear on parts like the du bushing on your shock and depending on your bike, the suspension bearings. That said an hour on The canal? I wouldn't worry too much about it

JDurk

Instead of lock out, you could always run more air in both the fork and shock for roadie mtb rides.

RobW

Very safe. Only If you're locking out and taking it off drops and riding serious terrain would do a lot of damage to your bearings/seals. Remember, it's an air cylinder with compressed air that provides resistance and feedback. It will still have some movement but doing damage... Naw

DargSide

Depending on what kind of shock it is, it might have an "emergency gate (for lack of a better word) that by passes the lockout on big hits, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading that somewhere

Karate Monkey

Better pull the shock/bearings and put in large bolts/bronze bushings through all the pivots, bypassing any moving part altogether.

Can't be too careful!

(seriously: the Maestro era stuff isn't that bad, pump it up and leave it unlocked for the tow path. Or buy a $20 craigslist special)

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hmm. Adding air would probably make me feel better. Thanks for the all warm responses. :)

Top Bottom