Enduro - East Coast Racing

Johnny Utah

Anyone who has raced it want to tell me how it works? What is the format? WhAt series did you race? Total climbing vs. DH? Total time of the event? How many stages and what is the format?

I have done a few. Very enjoyable. I have done them at allamuchy and mountain creek. Allamuchy was the most fun I thought...Like a big group ride...everyone rides up to the first stage...you hammer through the segment for a few min. then regroup at the end, pedal to the next stage, repeat. Mooch had some uphill portions here and there, MC was almost 100% downhill for the stages and brutal climbing for the transfer stages. IIRC, something like 4000' in 11 miles. MC took ALL day. Between the waiting around to start and waiting at the different stages. About 6 stages, varied between say 7-12min. Climbing? you have to climb from the bottom of south to the top of granite for one segment...@Chris26er and I did this in maybe 20-25 min or so? many people used DH bike and thus walked all of the climbs.

definitely check one out, its really fun.

I have done a few. Very enjoyable. I have done them at allamuchy and mountain creek. Allamuchy was the most fun I thought...Like a big group ride...everyone rides up to the first stage...you hammer through the segment for a few min. then regroup at the end, pedal to the next stage, repeat. Mooch had some uphill portions here and there, MC was almost 100% downhill for the stages and brutal climbing for the transfer stages. IIRC, something like 4000' in 11 miles. MC took ALL day. Between the waiting around to start and waiting at the different stages. About 6 stages, varied between say 7-12min. Climbing? you have to climb from the bottom of south to the top of granite for one segment...@Chris26er and I did this in maybe 20-25 min or so? many people used DH bike and thus walked all of the climbs.

definitely check one out, its really fun.

Solid info and basically what I was looking for (especially the MC race taking all day), what bike did you use?

Solid info and basically what I was looking for (especially the MC race taking all day), what bike did you use?
My trigger, which I thought worked great. There werent any big drops or crazy rocky sections.

I would do more....as @JDurk mentioned, there are many around within a few hours drive..... but with my schedule now I will never get a chance to pre-ride any of the courses....Which isnt necessary per say, but certainly helpful.

I would love to convince the team to produce one of these at the BSA. But we are already heavy loaded as is and scoring is costly. Love the format though.

I did the Enduro at Bear Creek last year. It was a Saturday event so little to no pre-riding was available. Racing began at 10am so I had enough time to preview one stage that I wasn't familiar with. Otherwise, most were racing blind.

Four stages were fun but you had to ride to the top for Stages 1,3,&4. That was similar to Mtn Creek's Enduro transfers. Still it was all done by 1pm. Turnout was maybe 75 people so it went quick. Fun low-key vibe from everyone.

The same day, I previewed the Blue Mtn ESC Enduro stages in the afternoon. I did it all on DH bike and don't recall any climbing. 4 stages and you could use the lift for three if them. You had to ride half way up between two stages.

I've also done the Trexler Enduro. Another fun vibe event with as many kids as adults.

I previewed the same Mtn Creek's Enduro that Utah raced and I do recall a fair amount of climbing during the stages. I wouldnt have wanted to do those stages on a DH bike. Also, the transfers were friggin brutal.

My trigger, which I thought worked great. There werent any big drops or crazy rocky sections.

I would do more....as @JDurk mentioned, there are many around within a few hours drive..... but with my schedule now I will never get a chance to pre-ride any of the courses....Which isnt necessary per say, but certainly helpful.
Are the climbs timed?

Not unless they are part of the stage. The "transfer" sections...end of one stage to the start of the next...are not timed. But each stage will usually have a little uphill on it somewhere. MC there was very little uphill in the timed stages that I recall. Mooch had much more.

@muddybike did they change it last year at MC and not make you have to ride back to the top? Let you use the lift? When I did it we climbed from the bottom to the top of MC 3 times IIRC, it was brutal.

Transfers back up are not timed. Almost zero climbing in the times stages at mtn creek. Last year we were able to use the lift between stage 3 and 4.

i should have garmin profiles of a couple from this year if i can figure out how to post them i will .

You know you can add a triple clamp on the front of that nomad and you won't miss a beat shredding the parks. I owned one and it's a very versatile bike. Not sure if you had the opportunity on the VPP before but the nastier the terrain the better it handles. Yes very bias as a long time Cruz fanboy.

Back
Top Bottom