*Edit* Educate me on snowboards

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Taking a shot here

Looking for a lightly used board with bindings from this decade :)

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok so educate me what and where.
I seen good price packaged deals but know nothing about what I am shopping for.

qclabrat

I'm not in the game for new gear, though I just bought a new pair of boots.
Others here are probably more current, what you looking to spend and what's your kid's experience level?

qclabrat

Oz Von Toco

how tall/heavy is intended rider? 160-163 is a huge board if you are not tall and heavy. Most of my friends are all running 153-158 ish.

You mentioned he is learning, so this will likely not be a forever board. I would look for something soft-mid flex which will be more compliant. A really stiff board is difficult to learn on. I would also look for something with a hybrid camber profile since I think they truly give you the best of both worlds. I would avoid full camber for learning because I think they are less forgiving. A rocker could work too, as they are generally pretty playful and easy to butter and what not, I just find them a little sketch on east coast ice.

If interested I could sell my 2013 arbor draft 155 which is a soft flex rocker with brass rails (softer, meant for park as not to catch rails, but also nice as a beginner since it's less "catchy") More of a park board than beginner board but it's what I learned on and it was great for my first couple years.

My current board is an example of a good board to grow into its 2016 (or 2017, not sure) Salomon Assassin. Mid flex, hybrid camber. Maybe a little stiff for a beginner but truly a do it all board once you learn, Steeps, glades, jumps, rails, you name it. Only weakness is very deep powder.

I'd check out of bound in scotch plains. Jackson, the owner, is a good guy and will generally try to find a good sale for you if your just getting into it!

Oz Von Toco

Also I might add, I find snowboarding wayyyyyyyy less gear dependent than mountain biking. I'm always oogling new bike stuff, I rarely want to mess with my snowboarding set-up. High- end goggles and pants are the only splurgy options that I think are really worth it

Oz Von Toco

he may be good with that range. For some reason I was envisioning a board for 12 year old. A short board will be more nimble and long board more stable. Generally on a snowboard I prefer nimble since its more fun and quite frankly anything not super flexy is about as stable as you really need on these east coast mountains. For reference I'm roughly 5'7" 180 lbs and ride 155's, but I don't fall neatly into the sizing charts like 6'1 190 likely does

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
most of my boards are in the 160-163 range now, but i'm not a park guy.
usually riding with skiers in the moguls and trees. Longest was 168, and fun.
i was around 5'11", and these are very comfortable length. i also have larger feet at 10.5W, which means
toe overhang on boars with lots of sidecut - this is less of a problem with bindings that keep the toes high, but still
they drag on a good carve - so for hard conditions i ride a very wide board (k2 trucker)

i'd give you one, but none are less than 10 years old at this point....

for riding around here, i use my step-in bindings. there isn't any snow to clog-up the mechanical parts.
one step off the lift and i'm ready to go. but then after some stretching, it isn't hard to buckle while coasting either.
drawbacks are people make fun of me, and stiff boots, that make it difficult to get to the bar.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I question your boot choice and priorities

id say his priorities are pretty good, finding his way to the bar. i dont think hed complain about them making it difficult if it wasnt important.

i could also argue (probably wrongly since im clueless about ski/snowboards) that he got the cheaper boots so that he could have more money for beer, also a good priority!

Top Bottom