East Coast YSC Tour De Pink: 100% NJ

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Tour De Pink East Coast

The East Coast Young Survival Coalition (YSC) Tour De Pink is coming up fast and will be held on September 23, 24 and 25. This year the ride starts in Morristown, NJ and ends in Long Branch, NJ, which is a change from the previous route from Hershey, PA to Trenton, which mtbnj superstars Bill and Lisa successfully did last year!

There are other major changes for this year, one of which is that they are promoting a single day ride starting and ending in Princeton, NJ on Saturday September 24. There will be century and metric century options available that day and the same start and end point make it much more accessible for one day riders. The one day route is still be determine, but will head towards the New Hope area and we be on many of the roads some of us know and love. I am super excited that this will be in our area this year. Also, the Philadelphia YSC Chapter has negotiated that a large percentage of the funds from the 3-day and 1-day ride will go directly to them to help support young women facing breast cancer right in our area! My wife, a breast cancer survivor, recently started a YSC support group right in Princeton so it is nice to know that some of the money will go to support events and support groups based in the Princeton area.

If there is enough interest from the mtbnj, I would consider starting a team and I hope a bunch of you can do the one-day day and maybe even the 3 day!

Registration Fee if $99 dollars and 3-day riders must raise a minimum of $2,500 and one day riders a minimum of $250.

Tour De Pink East Coast

YSC Info
Young Survival Coalition (YSC) is the premier global organization dedicated to the critical issues unique to young women diagnosed with breast cancer. YSC offers resources, connections and outreach so women feel supported, empowered and hopeful. With an interactive website and almost 30 affiliates across the United States, it is YSC’s goal that young women with breast cancer know that they are not alone.

YSC was formed in 1998 by three young women with breast cancer. Today, the YSC community consists of tens of thousands of survivors and supporters seeking to make sure that young survivors have the support and educational resources they so desperately need. As we increase our online presence and expand our affiliate structure, YSC continues to grow our support network, reaching well over 200,000 people every year.

YSC works with survivors, caregivers and the medical, research, advocacy and legislative communities to increase the quality and quantity of life for women diagnosed with breast cancer ages 40 and under.

Glenlivet12

Hey we got a shout out! :D

Lisa and I are talking about the one day this year. It was a blast last year and we really want to do it again. A century around Princeton would be awesome. I hope a big group of mtbNJers can make it this year.

When does registration close?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So here is my personal story...

As many of you know, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago at the young age of 31. She endured 16 rounds of chemotherapy and 6 weeks of radiation and has since my a full recovery and has become a advocate for breast cancer. Since the average age for breast cancer is woman in their 60's, my wife had trouble finding support groups and individuals to talk to that could relate to the life of a 30 something. She eventually found the YSC Philly group and was happy to find people that were going through the same thing she was and facing the same issues with maintaining a career and caring for young kids.

Since she started attending the YSC support groups, she has become an active member, volunteering at events and donating her graphic designs skills for newsletters and promotional materials. She was the 2010 volunteer of the year for YSC Philly and is currently the social events coordinator. She also recently started a YSC support group in Princeton, NJ in conjunction with the Breast Cancer Resource Center, which also helped her through her journey. Her first three meetings were attended by 5-8 young women in our area.

Last year, I rode in a single day of the Tour De Pink last year and could not be more proud to support this cause. I will be riding in the one day ride on Saturday the 24th to show the support for my wife and all women facing this disease. I would consider it a personal favor if you either supported my fund raising efforts (My Fund Raising Page Here) or joined the ride for yourself.

Last edited:

pittygirl

The YSC is an amazing organization and I was so proud to be a part of last year's Tour de Pink. As Bill already said, we are planning to participate in the 1-day ride this year. Wouldn't it be nice to see more mtbnj'ers participate, donning pink?

Kevin, your wife is the superstar. I just rode my bike :)

Mrs.G

I'm very interested in doing the 1 day ride. I've been working towards riding a century and can't think of a better reason than this to do one.

Turbotrix

Kevin,

Thank you for sharing your story. The YSC is a fantastic organization. I'm glad your wife found them and is continuing to help others fight. My wife and sister-in-law both worked for them and I was fortunate enough to see how much of a difference that group made in people's lives over the years.

I rode 2 days last year and I'm hoping to get out there this time as well. It's a great event.

-Jeff

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
if i use my peak before the race i'm f'd. i've been saving this one for a while, after i peak i can ride it afterwards

Glenlivet12

So voulnteer or something, you can register to do that. Or contribute. Or do the metric century. 60 easy miles so prime you for your race.

James I like my pb&j sandwich with extra chunky peanut butter. Cut it diagonally, keep the crust on. Thanks.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
So voulnteer or something, you can register to do that. Or contribute. Or do the metric century. 60 easy miles so prime you for your race.

I will most likely contribute to someone who decides do to this.

Top Bottom