East Coast Enduros

Timed descents. Non-timed climbs. Sort of a Grand-Frondo in reverse. Typically ridden on long travel trail bikes.

A "traditional" (European) enduro involves natural terrain trails and no climbing assistance (ski lifts or shuttles). Original enduro events even kept the courses a secret and you had to ride them blind (no pre-run or practice). In the US, most of our events tend to take place at ski resorts where a lift takes care of most if not all of the climbing. One exception is the Glen Park event where you have to climb to the start of each stage from the bottom.

Another way to look at it is like stage rally but with mtn bikes instead of cars. You race the descents and then you have transfer stages. If needed, you can usually go to your car/pit between stages to service your bike or refuel yourself.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what is the minimum amount of travel, that you would consider Appropriate for racing enduro on? Something like a trek remedy 29er 140x140?

It will depend some on your skill level, but for most tracks 140mm will be fine.

IMHO, the biggest factor is not travel, but tires. You tend to hit stuff harder than during typical trail riding, so running heavier casing tires is something I'd recommend. I've pinch-flatted tubeless tires when racing enduro. Run the biggest, heaviest tires that will fit your bike. I really can't stress this enough.

Back
Top Bottom