dt 240's

VanDbtRiver

does anyone have experience in upgrading their hub with the 36pt star ratchets? I am servicing mine in the near future and have to order misc. parts figured I may as well upgrade for quicker engagement while I'm at it.

does anyone have experience in upgrading their hub with the 36pt star ratchets? I am servicing mine in the near future and have to order misc. parts figured I may as well upgrade for quicker engagement while I'm at it.

It certainly will offer quicker engagement. Your old star ratchets are like 1.5% worn though. They last a really long time.

I built up a new set of 240's and upgraded the ratchet. While I've never ridden the "standard" 240 hub I will say, that this is without a doubt, a worthwhile upgrade. Anytime that you can increase engagement while simultaneosly dropping weight, its a no brainer. As far as durability, I have no reason to question the durability of anything in DT hub. They're proven by thousands of people to be a light, durable hub.

As for a comparison to other hubs that I currently own... I have a set of Kings, which definitely do engage quicker, However, its not all that noticable on the bike. I have a set of new XTR hubs laying around that "feel" like the engagement is the same... but I havent ridden those.

I dunno... I've got nothing to say but good things and I think you should definitely do this upgrade. Its what $30 or so for the upgraded ratchet? small price to pay for anything on a bike, let alone better engagement. better engagement usually means a new hub/wheel. You've got a unique opportunity to make a serious upgrade on the cheap. Doo it!

I built up a new set of 240's and upgraded the ratchet. While I've never ridden the "standard" 240 hub I will say, that this is without a doubt, a worthwhile upgrade. Anytime that you can increase engagement while simultaneosly dropping weight, its a no brainer. As far as durability, I have no reason to question the durability of anything in DT hub. They're proven by thousands of people to be a light, durable hub.

As for a comparison to other hubs that I currently own... I have a set of Kings, which definitely do engage quicker, However, its not all that noticable on the bike. I have a set of new XTR hubs laying around that "feel" like the engagement is the same... but I havent ridden those.

I dunno... I've got nothing to say but good things and I think you should definitely do this upgrade. Its what $30 or so for the upgraded ratchet? small price to pay for anything on a bike, let alone better engagement. better engagement usually means a new hub/wheel. You've got a unique opportunity to make a serious upgrade on the cheap. Doo it!

I like your style, thanks for the info:)

I built a set of wheels last year with the 240S rear hub, it had the standard 18T star ratchets. I rode a few months on the 18T star ratchets. I upgraded to the 36T star ratchets when they came out, the difference in engagement is very noticeable. You are going from 20 degrees of engagement to 10 degrees of engagement for $30. A bonus is it takes 5 minutes to do the upgrade. Just pull the freehub off with your hands, replace the star ratchets and you done. A worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

It's a worthwile upgrade. There is a noticeable, but small increase in drag with the new ratchets. The extra engagement definitely comes in handy on technical trails for sure. I have heard of a few people shearing the teeth off on the 36pts when climbing in a super low gear or just from very heavy riders using them, but I would call that an exception to the norm. We have sold a bunch of these and have had no problems, with the majority of them going on dh, freeride, and skatepark bikes.

I called to order the upgrade from speedgoat and was told that it was recalled. This was 3 weeks ago. Any one else know anythig about this?

Sorry I'll take the drag and the 72point engagement anytime over 240's...

That's fine... I love my kings. And I love my 240's. I use the kings on my every day training bike and built up the 240's as a superlight race wheelset.

For everyday riding, I agree with you. I want the best possible engagement and I couldn't care less about drag or the added weight. Everyday riding, I'm on gnarly trails with all kinds of technical stuff that I need to ratchet to get over... this is where the engagement is SO noticable.

For racing, I want a balanced mix. I want light weight, decent engagement, less drag. 240's. Done. I very rarely find myself missing the King engagement while I race on the 240's. I've ridden the 240's on some of the same trails that I train on, and they're still pretty damned good.

To throw another hat in the ring... I have a set of American Classics on a third bike. I do. not. use. this bike because the engagement sucks so bad. I'm all over the place on this bike and the commitment issues of the American Classic rear hub really, truly hurts me even on mildly technical trails.

That's fine... I love my kings. And I love my 240's. I use the kings on my every day training bike and built up the 240's as a superlight race wheelset.

For everyday riding, I agree with you. I want the best possible engagement and I couldn't care less about drag or the added weight. Everyday riding, I'm on gnarly trails with all kinds of technical stuff that I need to ratchet to get over... this is where the engagement is SO noticable.

Agreed! Racing is long gone for me, I want strong reliable everyday workingmans tools...

King makes killer parts, but they have no place on my bike. I think I will be on DT's for the long run.

These star ratchets with the 36 steps just came back in stock today. I will have more in the shop next week. More if there is a demand. Any takers?

Back
Top Bottom