Droppers? Offset ones?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Looking for a dropper :)rolleyes:) for the new whip. First, I want quality(not weight...surprise surprise). Fox is my first choice but I don’t see offset options. Does anyone make a reliable dropper post with reliability and an offset? TIA

choop

The only one worth mention is the Specialized Command Post. Its solid. I have had some issue with leaking seals but otherwise its ok.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@David Taylor why roll eyes? I'm a convert. I put one on my Scalpel a year and a half ago when getting ready for TSE and I will never go back. Bought a Specialized command post from @Ryan.P because I wanted a cable driven post (not hydraulic) in case I wanted to remove quickly(external cable), ease of fixing if needed, and I like the 3 position option (instead of infinite). Now i'm keeping my eyes open for a 27.2mm dropper for my hardtail...

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@David Taylor why roll eyes? I'm a convert. I put one on my Scalpel a year and a half ago when getting ready for TSE and I will never go back. Bought a Specialized command post from @Ryan.P because I wanted a cable driven post (not hydraulic) in case I wanted to remove quickly(external cable), ease of fixing if needed, and I like the 3 position option (instead of infinite). Now i'm keeping my eyes open for a 27.2mm dropper for my hardtail...

Then lack of 27.2 dropper posts, especially with external routing is rather annoying. I feel the same way as you and think I'm going to pull the trigger on one this week.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Specialized command posts are super reliable. Though winter too

rick81721

Lothar
Quality? Does that actually exist? I had two rockshox reverb stealth droppers fail almost exactly 1 year apart. I asked @jdog if there was a better one to replace it after the second failure and he said not really. So now no dropper. PS I weigh less than 155

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Quality? Does that actually exist? I had two rockshox reverb stealth droppers fail almost exactly 1 year apart. I asked @jdog if there was a better one to replace it after the second failure and he said not really. So now no dropper. PS I weigh less than 155

They are notoriously junk. Seriously. I had one, lasted 2 weeks.
I've had 2 specialized, and they were great. I had 2 KSs and the first one was meh. Second one has 1/2 race season one it so the jury is still out.

Don't judge them all by rock shox though.

SSmtbr

I just put on a PNW Conponents Pine 27.2 105mm travel external dropper..not offset though. Cable attaches at the collar so routing is clean and keeps out of the way. Infinite adjust and is a spring loaded cartridge vs air so return is a bit slow compared to a reverb I had on a demo bike but smooth and quiet.

Reliable? Time will tell though it seems like plenty of happy users and service seems fairly straight forward when the time comes after the 3yr warranty period.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Giant uses a house brand 27.2 internal.
Only had a problem once, when it was cold AF and the cable wouldn’t actuate.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Because I can be hypocritical at times .

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

This isn’t about your weight, but rather by the environment this was ridden in.

The inside of your dropper looked like it had been soaked in calcium chloride.

Ive had pretty good luck with the fox personally, but no one brand is flawless and they all need service at an interval that they rarely see.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ive had pretty good luck with the fox personally

I've heard from a lot of people that their Fox dropper is pretty reliable. That seems to be the common feedback on them.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've heard from a lot of people that their Fox dropper is pretty reliable. That seems to be the common feedback on them.

When I bought my Tallboy (and Joy with her 5010) I specifically went for builds without dropper posts as I didn't want to tempt fate with the Reverb even though they were on V2.

Both bikes have Fox droppers, no issues with the exception that Joy's has the side-to-side wobble that's not noticable when riding. They're also nice as the lever is separate allowing you to choose the type or even other manufacturer. I went with Wolftooth and am happy with it as a lever. My only regret is getting a 125mm as opposed to the 150mm.

Karate Monkey

Giant uses a house brand 27.2 internal.
Only had a problem once, when it was cold AF and the cable wouldn’t actuate.

Lock de-icer. Carry it around when you're riding in sub freezing temps/snow. It'll blast the cables clear when you hold it at one end of the run, and physically pull the cable.

zip

The only one worth mention is the Specialized Command Post. Its solid. I have had some issue with leaking seals but otherwise its ok.
I like it too. I easily fixed the leak by putting in a bit of fork air chamber oil by removing the air valve.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod

I have a cheapo brand x one from chain reaction that has been nothing but solid I was 245 in June and it has seen falls and none impeded drops where I've missed my pedals and the post dropper held even with the post slipping into the frame. Worth a look

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
They are notoriously junk. Seriously. I had one, lasted 2 weeks.
I've had 2 specialized, and they were great. I had 2 KSs and the first one was meh. Second one has 1/2 race season one it so the jury is still out.

Don't judge them all by rock shox though.

I have a Reverb that's about 2 years old and has been flawless. Of course, it's one no one can buy yet so probably doesn't help. My Specialized post has also been flawless so far.

Top Bottom