Drop bar to flat bar conversion?

vanseggern1

Does anybody have any experience in converting a drop bar bike to flat bars? I know at a minimum, you would need to change brake levers, shifters, possibly stem, and of course the bar itself. Just wondering if you would run into any compatibility issues with existing brakes, gears, etc...and maybe the answer is that it depends on what the parts in question are. Thanks in advance.

qclabrat

Would help more if you tell us for which bike and type of riding you're expecting to do. The geos are very different especially the newer bikes, it can be done, but may not be an ideal fit.

vanseggern1

This would be for cx racing on a Boone. I tend to think this will not happen especially if it costs a lot or won’t work like @pearl says as I know he has extensive cx experience.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
if it is cx racing why would you want to change it to flat bars? I thought cross was for drop bars? Also, it will be expensive.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
1537878191416.gif

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anybody have any experience in converting a drop bar bike to flat bars? I know at a minimum, you would need to change brake levers, shifters, possibly stem, and of course the bar itself. Just wondering if you would run into any compatibility issues with existing brakes, gears, etc...and maybe the answer is that it depends on what the parts in question are. Thanks in advance.

Depends on what each of the components are. Sometimes the manufacturers support the rear derailleurs with either road or mountain front shifters, sometimes not. For instance I know Shimano 9-speed is cross compatible between road/mountain, but not 10 speed. Mechanical brakes have different lever pulls between road/mountain.

It's not that it's not worth doing, but it really matters WHY. If it's because you're not comfortable on drop bars, the bike either doesn't fit or you just haven't gotten comfortable using drop bars.

Drop-bar geometry is different than flat bar. So a bike that fits one way shouldn't really the other way.

vanseggern1

It's not that it's not worth doing, but it really matters WHY. If it's because you're not comfortable on drop bars, the bike either doesn't fit or you just haven't gotten comfortable using drop bars.

Yes sir, it's definitely the latter. My plan is to try getting more comfortable riding them, and I was only thinking to convert if things didn't work out. Thanks!

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes sir, it's definitely the latter. My plan is to try getting more comfortable riding them, and I was only thinking to convert if things didn't work out. Thanks!

Post pictures of your handlebar and shift lever/hood setup.

RetroGrouch

Tektro makes a road lever compatible with V brakes and MTB cable discs (RL520). I don't think there any brifters that can handle MTB cable brakes so you will have to run bar end shifters with those levers.

Hydraulic brakes are a world of hurt if you try to mix and match. You would have to look at master cylinder area vs caliper piston area for various MTB and road systems to see if anything matches up. Do Shimano or SRAM publish that info?

I'm fairly sure that SRAM MTB front derailleurs and exact actuation rear derailleurs work with SRAM road shifters, at least up through 10 speed stuff. Take a look at Salsa Fargo specs from years past wich mixed SRAM MTB and road stuff. The 2017 Fargo (2x10) used a GX 10 speed rear derailleur and front GX derailleur with Apex brifters. It also used APEX road hydraulic disc brakes.

EDIT: You have to put a cable tension adjuster somewhere inline to use road stuff with MTB stuff. SRAM, Shimano, and others make them for brakes and shifters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom