Double Trouble State Park

13 miles today. Not know for mtb. As far as trails go its mostly double. But there are A LOT of hidden gems and side trails. I did 13 miles all in the northern end of the park. Accomplished a lot of exploring and discovered many fun trails. You just gotta find them. Great time!!!! Way more elevation change than its given credit for. Go explore. Have fun!!! IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1610.JPG IMG_1609.JPG IMG_1608.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1603.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1603.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1603.JPG

As you are on the double track headed for the dam there is a fire cut that goes up hill at an angle to the right. Follow it looking to your left and you will find the graves of some of the Crabbes. A very old family here in Toms River. Crabbe Rd. etc... Good luck, be respectful.

Always respectful to my pines and all of their history. Its what I love most about them. That and all them pines! I saw that fire cut. I will take it next time. Such a great park. Thanks for the info

Look left as you approach the top. It also exits back to the double track/fire road farther up but not as obvious the first time.

Yes. I know the trail. Havent been on it yet but I will be. Runs along Pinewald right? So many trails to explore. Love it!!!

Interesting, will have to add this to my south jersey travels . I still don't understand how some parks are on the mtbnj "official list" and others aren't .

Yes. I have notic
Interesting, will have to add this to my south jersey travels . I still don't understand how some parks are on the mtbnj "official list" and others aren't .
Yes. I have noticed that too. At first I thought the ones listed all had marked trails. Then I noticed a couple that don't. I am not sure what the criteria is. Possibly most popular mtb parks in the area? Maybe there should be a category for less travelled parks. HIDDEN GEMS?...

not enough gnar

Colombia trail? Patriots Path? Black River WMA (which is really an extension of Patriots path)? These are basically flat, straight dirt roads. Why isn't D&R canal on the list?
Yes. I have notic

Yes. I have noticed that too. At first I thought the ones listed all had marked trails. Then I noticed a couple that don't. I am not sure what the criteria is. Possibly most popular mtb parks in the area? Maybe there should be a category for less travelled parks. HIDDEN GEMS?...

Yeah hidden gems would be a great idea.

Most of these smaller "gems" don't offer enough to make it a destination park if you have any distance to travel. To us they are local and good for a quick hit when time or weather conditions don't allow traveling further. We find it fun trying to link some of these smaller parks together without traveling pavement to connect them.
E&P

E&P
Cant wait to get my fatty. Although I love exploring, I have to be very careful about each journey. I do a lot of research on google maps and topos. Study trails thoroughly to find "more packed" trails and avoid sand and water as much as possible. These are things that are a much bigger concern on a skinny. I don't mind when I have to hike a bike for a little bit. Just not for the whole trip. I have done enough exploring to know that most of the Pines are very mixed between packed and loose surface. A fatty will give me the ability to power thru most loose areas(or hopefully ALL). I can spend more time exploring and less time worrying about the next sand pit. I have found so many "gems" on a skinny. I am sure I will find many more on a fatty.

No Doubt. The fatties have allowed exploring to be pretty worry free for Pat and I. When ready to purchase my one word of advice is to make sure the wheelset is tubeless compatible. We wind up with a huge amount of thorn flats and fixing a fat tire flat is no fun in the woods. Thinking about changing wheels to make ours tubeless. This would have been cheaper to do at time of purchase.
Ed and Pat

@giff06

I have a set of Weinman (sp?) wheels that were not tubeless compatible. I tried like heck to get them set up with tape and foam and Stans to no avail. I finally tried the split tube method. It works great on these dreadful wheels and I am down under 5psi now with great success in very rocky conditions.

I used some sill foam from home depot and cut it to the width of the valley inside the rim. I think it was just under 7' of foam to go around once. Used 1 wrap of gorilla tape to make it real snug. Then I used a set of 24" x 2.5" downhill tires (Q tubes on www.jensonusa.com). Inflate them on the wheel so you can center them up well. Then split them on the seam. They will hang over the edges. Mount tire (<trickiest part, but not bad). I am using 4.8" Kenda Juggernauts. Then inflate. Add Stan's through the valve. Shake, shake, shake. There are videos on youtube of this method, as well.

As I said, its been working VERY well and all other methods were a flop. It is so nice to be tubeless. Changing a flat on a fat-bike is a drag. Well, any bike for that matter.

Good luck.

No Doubt. The fatties have allowed exploring to be pretty worry free for Pat and I. When ready to purchase my one word of advice is to make sure the wheelset is tubeless compatible. We wind up with a huge amount of thorn flats and fixing a fat tire flat is no fun in the woods. Thinking about changing wheels to make ours tubeless. This would have been cheaper to do at time of purchase.
Ed and Pat
I got 2 flats in one week, then I bought Mr Tuffy liners, no more flats, maybe just coincidence?

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Tuffy-Ultra-Bicycle-Liner/dp/B00DKCK1ZE

@Kaleidopete & @pathfinder67 if you guy like exploring the pines. Hook up with @sandman. He finds so much amazing stuff off the beaten track. We are doing a Global Fat Bike Ride tomorrow. ( you don't need a fatbike to ride)
https://www.meetup.com/South-Jersey-Singletrack/events/235251918/
I have read some posts from him on this site. I like his style too, as well as E&P's. and from what i can see here, pretty much anyone who visits this thread. As I said before some days i will just go out trail riding, usually due to lack of time. But my days off I will be deep in them Pines, hopefully lost and finding my way out. hahahaha. I have been there many times and plan on many more. Especially with the fatty under me. I tried to contact him one time. By mistake I had found my way to another Sandman(who seemed to have respect for the one you speak of) Then my life got crazy(kids and work) lol. So i was off this site for a while. I def would love to hook up with a lot of you when I get my bike. As far as tomorrow I work Saturdays, but thanks for the invite. I will def check out the link too

Back
Top Bottom