• Yes... Johnny B Goode yo

Votes: 31 93.9%
  • No.... No particular place to go son

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have spoken to 4 people between the ages of 25-32 today who did not know who Chuck berry was.... Not like or dislike Chuck berry... Just know of his existence... I was quite shocked.... Should this be less of a suprise than I thought?

qclabrat

I think he's been imitated so much that the younger generation isn't aware. Glad to hear the love from artists to put him back up where her belongs. Just listened the Memphis TN, remarkable. RIP Mr Berry

JDurk

I asked that to my two coworkers who started this for me today

Me: ok ok you saw back to the Future right?
Them : yes
Me: ok Johnny B Goode? CHUCK CHUCK.... ITS MARVIN!
them: oh he was talking about Chuck berry?
Me: no Chuck fucking Norris.

Almost the same conversation I had with my wife and she's older than 25-32 y/o.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I asked that to my two coworkers who started this for me today

Me: ok ok you saw back to the Future right?
Them : yes
Me: ok Johnny B Goode? CHUCK CHUCK.... ITS MARVIN!
them: oh he was talking about Chuck berry?
Me: no Chuck fucking Norris.

Pretty much how my conversation with my kids went when I heard the news. Unintentional but timely reference to @Carson's post.

It's funny, my generation knew pretty much all the stars of yesteryear, I'd of thought that in this era of digital devices and social media the younger generation would have a better grasp on things like this.... Seems like I'm always explaining to the kids who so & so "was". We've lost a Sh!t ton of entertainment giants in the last couple of years.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I thought he died on a plane with the Big Bopper.

that was SRV,
Chuck Berry made the twist famous

Pretty much how my conversation with my kids went when I heard the news. Unintentional but timely reference to @Carson's post.

It's funny, my generation knew pretty much all the stars of yesteryear, I'd of thought that in this era of digital devices and social media the younger generation would have a better grasp on things like this.... Seems like I'm always explaining to the kids who so & so "was". We've lost a Sh!t ton of entertainment giants in the last couple of years.

cheap headsets, and the ipod. No longer forced to listen to parent music -
Like The Smiths. The version with Morrissey. ;)

They do know some of the old songs because of guitar hero. if you consider Band on the Run, or Stranglehold examples.....:D

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
that was SRV,
Chuck Berry made the twist famous

cheap headsets, and the ipod. No longer forced to listen to parent music -
Like The Smiths. The version with Morrissey. ;)

They do know some of the old songs because of guitar hero. if you consider Band on the Run, or Stranglehold examples.....:D
Guitar Hero has done a good job opening kids up to a lot of different music. My son started listening to System of a Down and Rage because of it.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I quoted Animal House yesterday to a 29yr old coworker. He had ZERO clue. How is that possible?
They guy I work with has never seen any of the Jim Carrey movies. I literally quote Dumb and Dumber 100 times a day and he has no clue. He's also never seen the Matrix or Jurrasic Park!! What!!??

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Utah learned from his dad, like most kids do. @UtahJoe , didn't u tell me your dad used to make tapes of wcbs 101.1 and u hated listening to it?
It's funny, kids hate there parents music but at least they will have knowledge of it. What is sad is the kids that don't know who Chuck Berry is will know Vanilla Ice, Sir Mix A lot and MC Hammer.

Utahs kid will know who Hank the Angry Dwarf, Eric the Midget and Baba Booey are.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny, all I've been hearing on the radio talk shows it what a real nasty SOB he was. Not what u want to be remembered for.
Yes, I mean he wasnt the nicest of guys....but as I was telling my 2 coworkers...

Ok you guys know the Voyager 1 space probe?
Them: no
Me: for fuck sake...ok, so so in the late 70s nasa sent a probe out to study the planets in the solar system, then beyond....its still out there getting further and further away.....So they put things on this spacecraft that would explain what Earth is if some other intelligent life form were to ever find....Things like greetings in many languages, the human anatomy, pictures of earth, Music from all different countries for example...Bach, Beethoven, Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry.....

@UtahJoe learned from Harry Harrison.
This is fair...I mean I had oldies piped into my brain for eons...I probably know more 50-60s songs than the average person my age but Chuck Berry... I mean to me I just thought that Johnny B Goode was so iconic in this country you would basically have to grow up with ear plugs not to have heard it/be aware of it.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They guy I work with has never seen any of the Jim Carrey movies. I literally quote Dumb and Dumber 100 times a day and he has no clue. He's also never seen the Matrix or Jurrasic Park!! What!!??
Its funny...Myself @gtluke and @Santapez were having this conversation on Friday about how Luke knows this person who doesnt know what X iconic movie was....and that they must be a Russian spy or something....Steve made the great point...."no no...a spy would absolutely be taught what these things before being sent to America" Like if we were to go find a russian spy today....im sure the KGB told he or she who Marilyn Monroe was before sending them here.

Top Bottom