Do I "need" or just "want"???

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
speaking of DOT fluid, Hope recommends DOT4 or 5 fluid, is it the same as automotive brake fluid? Or do you need some super secret bike fluid that cost $30 for 3 oz??
I use automotive fluids because there always around and cheap, never had a problem with my guides using cheapo brake fluid .

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
DOT is automotive brake fluid. But once you open a bottle your supposed to toss anything you don't use

brake fluid is hygroscopic. if it absorbs moisture and in an automotive application - it reduces the boiling point, which you can imagine is bad in a system that should by incompressible.
i'm not sure why they don't sell it in a pump-out, or lined can.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
So my new bike came with a new set of Sram code RSC brakes with 180mm rotors front and rear. I was bored and trolling the internet with my credit card out and wound up purchasing a new set of Hope Tech3 V4 brakes and 203mm floating rotors. The 2 blue moon Belgium whites I had may have influenced me a tad... Now aside from them being a cool red anodized finish and billet aluminum and looking really trick, do I really NEED these things? Or should I just return them when they get here.. Money isn't a factor in this purchase, it's just am I wasting my money and time to have a cool looking set of brakes?
I plan on doing some down hill action next season but nothing to insane..Am I just being an A$$??
Should I just keep the Sram brakes which are actually pretty high end to begin with?
I don’t understand the question.... new brakes go on the Hightower, codes go on the shelf.

When the weather turns cold, you’ll walk past the shelf and the codes will catch your eye and you’ll start thinking about what frame you should get... you know, for the new build. ;)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I don’t understand the question.... new brakes go on the Hightower, codes go on the shelf.

When the weather turns cold, you’ll walk past the shelf and the codes will catch your eye and you’ll start thinking about what frame you should get... you know, for the new build. ;)

nothing but hopes from here on out.

esp on the winter build!

Mtbdog

Dirt bike brake fluid should work best. Being that dirt and mtb share a heat to volume equation. Low volume vs. high heat.

Dajerseyrat

Hmmmm....Start a bike build around the brakes...Never looked at it that way..

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
brake fluid is hygroscopic. if it absorbs moisture and in an automotive application - it reduces the boiling point, which you can imagine is bad in a system that should by incompressible.
i'm not sure why they don't sell it in a pump-out, or lined can.

exactly, and i really dont have an answer for why they dont, call me, we need to discuss some things.

mwlikesbikes

Hopes FTW!!!
I’ve been using castrol dot4 synthetic fluid in my various hopes for years.
They’re probably the easiest brakes to bleed but once they’re set you won’t need to bleed them again unless you cut a brake line.

Dajerseyrat

Also on an unrelated note, probably gonna try going back to flats in the spring. I find myself not attempting harder lines during more technical rides in fear of not getting a foot down in time.

qclabrat

Also on an unrelated note, probably gonna try going back to flats in the spring. I find myself not attempting harder lines during more technical rides in fear of not getting a foot down in time.
that's easy, matchy matchy
1539352602486.png

02camaro

i use dot 5.1 fluid which is a little pain in the neck to find, but the local napa has it. dot 4 also works as mentioned in the instructions. dot 5.1 has a higher boiling point than 4. DO NOT use dot 5, dot 5 is silicone based and 5.1/4 is glycol based and will ruin the internals.

02camaro

Goodies arrived. (I need these in my life!)
lettuce kno when u cant get the caliper centered on the rotor.

my advice get it close and then ride it hard, it will work itself out. i couldnt get mine perfect when the pads were brandy new

Top Bottom