Do I "need" or just "want"???

Dajerseyrat

So my new bike came with a new set of Sram code RSC brakes with 180mm rotors front and rear. I was bored and trolling the internet with my credit card out and wound up purchasing a new set of Hope Tech3 V4 brakes and 203mm floating rotors. The 2 blue moon Belgium whites I had may have influenced me a tad... Now aside from them being a cool red anodized finish and billet aluminum and looking really trick, do I really NEED these things? Or should I just return them when they get here.. Money isn't a factor in this purchase, it's just am I wasting my money and time to have a cool looking set of brakes?
I plan on doing some down hill action next season but nothing to insane..Am I just being an A$$??
Should I just keep the Sram brakes which are actually pretty high end to begin with?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hopes for the win !

sell the sram brakes for a huge discount to make someone happy.

qclabrat

I have the E4 brakes on my Banshee, great feel, but since I've never tried codes, not sure which is better.
The Codes are probably more powerful having the four pistons.

Dajerseyrat

Hopes for the win !

sell the sram brakes for a huge discount to make someone happy.
I didn't realize the codes sell for $245 per brake. They were used about 50 miles so far, if that.. What would be a fair selling price for them with rotors in almost new condition?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I didn't realize the codes sell for $245 per brake. They were used about 50 miles so far, if that.. What would be a fair selling price for them with rotors in almost new condition?

fair price with rotor - $200ish ea. maybe a bit less to be extra nice.
for Paul, $200 for both. But he doesn't have any room ;)

Any bidders?

qclabrat

The Hopes are 4 larger pistons I believe.
you are right, might be thinking of the older design which had a large/small piston design. From what I've read, Hopes tend to be a bit weaker than Shimano and Srams, but modulate better. Though with the V4 there's plenty power if you need it. Hopes look awesome, you won't return them once you open the box. Levers have a much better feel than the others IMO. You won't have trouble selling those Codes, they are also great brakes.

Dajerseyrat

Hopes look awesome, you won't return them once you open the box.
*Sigh.... I know this will be the case...

Ok so who wants my Code brakes? $450 cash for the whole set up. Front and rear, with 180mm rotors, pads and mounting brackets for 180mm rotors? There is not a single mark on these brakes yet, they just broke in in fact.

rick81721

Lothar
*Sigh.... I know this will be the case...

Ok so who wants my Code brakes? $450 cash for the whole set up. Front and rear, with 180mm rotors, pads and mounting brackets for 180mm rotors? There is not a single mark on these brakes yet, they just broke in in fact.

I'll start the bidding- 10 bucks

Top Bottom