DJ needed for sweet 16

qclabrat

can anyone recommend a DJ for a sweet 16 party?
about 4 hrs in a Somerset county venue in June

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
my wife just told me SAT prep classes will be 8K this summer
what's a few more Gs, I'm never going to get a new bike....

Seriously, what's the deal with Asian people spending a fortune on SAT prep courses? One of my son's best friends is Chinese and his parents spent like $10k on his course. Most courses we looked at maxed out at about $17oo and we didn't spend that much.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went to SAT classes starting grade 7. Weekdays, weekends, all year round. (btw, I'm Asian)

qclabrat

Seriously, what's the deal with Asian people spending a fortune on SAT prep courses? One of my son's best friends is Chinese and his parents spent like $10k on his course. Most courses we looked at maxed out at about $17oo and we didn't spend that much.
because going to Harvard or Stanford is happiness
the facts, about 600 people get perfect SAT scores each year, another 30,000 score 2200 or higher
there are only 60K ivy league freshmen spots

I personally told my wife it's a sham, I'd rather send my daughter to fly fishing camp in Montana
Not even going to fight it...

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I went to SAT classes starting grade 7. Weekdays, weekends, all year round. (btw, I'm Asian)

because going to Harvard or Stanford is happiness

I don't know, I would think there is some happiness in enjoying your childhood.

There is also no guarantee with these courses. My son's friend got around a 1400 (out of 1600 now) after spending $10k. My nephew got that without taking any prep course.

My son did very average on the SAT, but great on the ACT, so who knows. Thankfully schools will take either.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
SAT prep is bullshit. When I was in high school, I took my SATs twice*. The first time, I did okay, so I figured that would be good enough (ambition wasn't my strong suit) so when I had to take them the second time, I worked the night before until 11:00 and then went to some guy's party in Middletown and got drunk enough to not remember the drive home. I showed up five minutes before the start hungover and very queasy. I puked in a trash can once, and then outscored my original Verbal (or English or whatever the fuck they called it) by over a hundred points, and came within one question of a perfect score in Math. I think my total improvement in my score was a couple hundred points, which I have to believe is more than any of those prep courses ever promise. So if anyone wants to save almost $10K, I'd be happy to draw up a plan for your kid that would involve spending maybe $50 at Spirits Unlimited (probably more like $30 because kids are pretty lightweight.)

* actually, I also took the SATs in grade school when I was selected as one of five students in my school to do it for reasons I will never, ever understand. I think at the time I scored somewhere between "severely retarded" and "inanimate".

Mr.Moto

Because the sole purpose of Asian progeny is to just study, go to the best schools and become doctors, lawyers or something that will make lots of money. The parents can then brag to their friends and other family about how well their kids are doing, how big of a house they have and how many grandkids they have. Then unbeknownst to the kids because they have been Americanized and not familiar with past cultural requirements, they later must repay the parents by becoming indentured servants to the aging parents as their caretakers.

I'm not sure if it's the same for all Asian cultures, or even all Asian people. But just this week while visiting my parents, we get into a conversation about colleges. So my mother goes to my daughter - "You should go to an evergreen (Ivy League) school! Harvard. Princeton. You can be a doctor or a business person." It's never a focus on what your passions are, interests or best fit would be. I'm reliving the nightmare again. I never had such aspirations, so maybe a bit of a disappointment for my parents.

Oh, and happiness and enjoying your childhood - you can save that for later, somewhere between working and taking care of your elderly parents. For now, study. Unless your going to become a world class pianist or violinist. Then its - PRACTICE.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Because the sole purpose of Asian progeny is to just study, go to the best schools and become doctors, lawyers or something that will make lots of money. The parents can then brag to their friends and other family about how well their kids are doing, how big of a house they have and how many grandkids they have. Then unbeknownst to the kids because they have been Americanized and not familiar with past cultural requirements, they later must repay the parents by becoming indentured servants to the aging parents as their caretakers.

I'm not sure if it's the same for all Asian cultures, or even all Asian people. But just this week while visiting my parents, we get into a conversation about colleges. So my mother goes to my daughter - "You should go to an evergreen (Ivy League) school! Harvard. Princeton. You can be a doctor or a business person." It's never a focus on what your passions are, interests or best fit would be. I'm reliving the nightmare again. I never had such aspirations, so maybe a bit of a disappointment for my parents.

Oh, and happiness and enjoying your childhood - you can save that for later, somewhere between working and taking care of your elderly parents. For now, study. Unless your going to become a world class pianist or violinist. Then its - PRACTICE.
Summed it up pretty nicely imo

walter

Fourth Party
I dont know if I would trust my kids future at the hands of some guy/girl who teaches sat prep classes. I mean, if the instructor is so damn smart, why arent they a doctor/lawyer/union worker? Hogwash shark tank scam.

Top Bottom