discuss electric bikes

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I borrowed this from J....my plan (when I can locate a babysitter) is to do a road ride with my wife who doesnt ride bikes very often...
432OfvM.jpg

However, I took it for a spin pulling bob in his trailer...Pretty awesome. I mean I have taken him in this trailer just about where ever..Lap of the lewis morris course, top of the tourne, etc....Doable on climbs, but hell of a workout and I never bring him out on the road. With this thing i could keep up a safe speed on climbs and its mass/low C.G. made the usually top heavy trailer track very well. After a couple of hours, I barely broke a sweat and bob was cheering at the speed. So for this, its excellent...your not getting much of a workout, but towing bob up a few huge climbs that I would normally avoid was pretty neat.

I will say curiosity got the better of me and I just had to try it out and see how fast I could really "ride" in compared to my scalpel. I brought it to a place where I had a bunch of times I threw down with the race bike. While I was surprised how good of a mountain bike this thing is...given its weight...over about 12 segments...only two was able to beat my non motorized time and they were both sections with a 3min climb up a fire road. Anything twisty, technical, downhill, on/off pedaling...I could not get close. Which is probably more of a statement about how quick and nimble the scalpel is....I mean it feels like a really well done mountain bike, but its shear mass makes it a handful when you are trying to go super fast with it. Plus its not THAT powerful....I think its 600w peak power...Which I can top on a bike that weighs half as much. So with the weight (turning and accelerating), plus having to pedal through the motor so your not adding much to when you pedal....I can see why I can go faster. Unless it was an open climb, it which case it just gets to 15-19mph and doesnt get tired. For that, its wild...its like having a fast forward button for those shitty fireroad climbs.

Few thoughts I had...
Riding it like i would my mtb...it needs bigger brakes
Given its size and weight...I was surprised how good of a "mountain bike" it is.
I cant believe the tires survived
the motor winds out as you bang through the gears and it sounds kinda neat
you can take your inside foot off moto style, pedal with outside foot and power out of turns
hopping logs, hopping in general...ya not so good.
technical rock face...strange and have to be cautious, but slowing crawling was pretty crazy...so long as you can keep it online...it will crawl up something.
I am 100% more of a danger to pedestrians, dogs, other animals, etc on my regular bike compared to this thing....its not as fast, plain and simple. It goes 20mph, you want to go 21, its hard to do, even downhill....in spots where I would be going 28-30 on my reg bike. So after trying it, its not more dangerous to other people than a regular bike. And it cannot spin the tire anywhere, so I dont see how it causes any additional trail damage.
its RC car loud so you will no fool anyone that it isnt motorized
in a 90min ride my HR was on par with a regular mtb ride...not race pace, but still a workout. its not doing all the work, but its like a KERS system in F1...so it removes the big power bursts.

So in all, I think its a really neat, very well done toy. Not sure what I would ever use it for...I suppose if maybe I wanted to do a ride at waywayanda from my house...Or say to roll out of moab, ride to the top of burro pass without having to take the van maybe. The ability to ride 20mph on the road there would be nice...To commute to work. Carry tools in the trailer like Jay uses it for...
Maybe if they were legal it would be a neat toy, but i would probably just buy a motorcycle. And as far as I can tell...they are motorized, thus not legal...and pretty sure they will never "legal" in this state in my life time. Only thing I would say is that after riding one, I dont fear people going wild with them and running over hikers anymore than a regular non powered bicycle. I mean it makes 600w peak power...according to my power meter, I can make twice that much...its ~.75hp PEAK. My little push lawnmower has 6hp. So its a great "assist"...but its not like a motorcycle.

Kaleidopete

So I borrowed this from J....my plan (when I can locate a babysitter) is to do a road ride with my wife who doesnt ride bikes very often...

However, I took it for a spin pulling bob in his trailer...Pretty awesome. I mean I have taken him in this trailer just about where ever..Lap of the lewis morris course, top of the tourne, etc....Doable on climbs, but hell of a workout and I never bring him out on the road. With this thing i could keep up a safe speed on climbs and its mass/low C.G. made the usually top heavy trailer track very well. After a couple of hours, I barely broke a sweat and bob was cheering at the speed. So for this, its excellent...your not getting much of a workout, but towing bob up a few huge climbs that I would normally avoid was pretty neat.

I will say curiosity got the better of me and I just had to try it out and see how fast I could really "ride" in compared to my scalpel. I brought it to a place where I had a bunch of times I threw down with the race bike. While I was surprised how good of a mountain bike this thing is...given its weight...over about 12 segments...only two was able to beat my non motorized time and they were both sections with a 3min climb up a fire road. Anything twisty, technical, downhill, on/off pedaling...I could not get close. Which is probably more of a statement about how quick and nimble the scalpel is....I mean it feels like a really well done mountain bike, but its shear mass makes it a handful when you are trying to go super fast with it. Plus its not THAT powerful....I think its 600w peak power...Which I can top on a bike that weighs half as much. So with the weight (turning and accelerating), plus having to pedal through the motor so your not adding much to when you pedal....I can see why I can go faster. Unless it was an open climb, it which case it just gets to 15-19mph and doesnt get tired. For that, its wild...its like having a fast forward button for those shitty fireroad climbs.

Few thoughts I had...
Given its size and weight...I was surprised how good of a "mountain bike" it is.
you can take your inside foot off moto style, pedal with outside foot and power out of turns
technical rock face...strange and have to be cautious, but slowing crawling was pretty crazy...so long as you can keep it online...it will crawl up something.
I am 100% more of a danger to pedestrians, dogs, other animals, etc on my regular bike compared to this thing....its not as fast, plain and simple. It goes 20mph, you want to go 21, its hard to do, even downhill....in spots where I would be going 28-30 on my reg bike. So after trying it, its not more dangerous to other people than a regular bike. And it cannot spin the tire anywhere, so I dont see how it causes any additional trail damage.
in a 90min ride my HR was on par with a regular mtb ride...not race pace, but still a workout. its not doing all the work, but its like a KERS system in F1...so it removes the big power bursts.

So in all, I think its a really neat, very well done toy. Not sure what I would ever use it for...I suppose if maybe I wanted to do a ride at waywayanda from my house...Or say to roll out of moab, ride to the top of burro pass without having to take the van maybe. The ability to ride 20mph on the road there would be nice...To commute to work. Carry tools in the trailer like Jay uses it for...
Maybe if they were legal it would be a neat toy, but i would probably just buy a motorcycle. And as far as I can tell...they are motorized, thus not legal...and pretty sure they will never "legal" in this state in my life time. Only thing I would say is that after riding one, I dont fear people going wild with them and running over hikers anymore than a regular non powered bicycle. I mean it makes 600w peak power...according to my power meter, I can make twice that much...its ~.75hp PEAK. My little push lawnmower has 6hp. So its a great "assist"...but its not like a motorcycle.
Good honest review, thanks.

Mountain Bike Mike

432OfvM.jpg

Few thoughts I had...

It's unmollested. Wait until people start messing with them and cranking out 2000 watts with them...

THATmanMANNY

nice review

I've pulled the Burley trailer a few times now on road rides with wife and friends. Its cool to still be able to ride with my wife and friends and bring my kid along.

my main use is commuting. I have 2600 commuting miles now since I got mine now. Paid for itself in savings (train fares, gas, tolls, parking etc)

only thing I ever done was new pads and chains

my hardtail may be a little lighter but cant maintain over 20mph either

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I personally would love to have one for TM also like @jdog.

Other then that I see a future for slope riding but not till they can have one that can handle the down part. Bike parks would embrace it for low cost factor and so would I for places like highlands where I can walk faster then that chairlift.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's unmollested. Wait until people start messing with them and cranking out 2000 watts with them...
Im sure its possible. Although you know...2000 watts...My old CRF450 had 40,000 watts. Plus if you made this thing 2000w...it would really suck on anything but pavement. Its not like a motocycle...its pedal assist..so you still have to ride it like a bicycle. Now if someone was to put a throttle on it rather than having to pedal to activate the motor...might be different...but at 2000w, your not going to be power sliding through turns lofting the front end....and the battery would be smoked in minutes. But all possible of course.
Other then that I see a future for slope riding but not till they can have one that can handle the down part. Bike parks would embrace it for low cost factor and so would I for places like highlands where I can walk faster then that chairlift.
ya one of these systems adapted to a full on DH bike...would be interesting. I mean if you are making one of these, you might as well put the big suspension, tires, etc on it as you are not suffering the weight penalty going uphill with it. Jumping it with all of that weight...eh, not so much. but maybe on something as big as a DH bike, it wouldnt be so odd feeling. Like im used to just being able to move my scalpel around as if I were standing on my feet and jumping...this will not do that. But when you coming barreling into a rock garden, it does stay right where you point it.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
ya one of these systems adapted to a full on DH bike...would be interesting. I mean if you are making one of these, you might as well put the big suspension, tires, etc on it as you are not suffering the weight penalty going uphill with it. Jumping it with all of that weight...eh, not so much.

Specialized Turbo Levo

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I'm not worried about the *guy jacking it to 2000 watts. (Yeah yeah, I know, phrasing) that *guys probably been riding at speed in one form or another for a while.

I'm worried about the *guy who's pushing 200 watts. You know, the *guy whose being marketed to by the industry. That same *guy who's handling skills and reaction time is based on said 200 Watts. You're gonna enable that *guy to cut loose at 600 watts, for the fist time, in the woods?!?

I continue to think you're just asking for a serious incident. Road (any surface) sure, go for it. But trails? Meh.

*Guy, Gal...whatever.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
We have the $3000 Specialized at the shop. It's pretty dumb except for getting lunch at 27mph...

20170817_150657.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
True. But the range on these things is pretty terrible. I'd actually consider buying one to replace my car but it won't make my commute on a single charge. Which means an easy ride in, then pedaling 100 pound bike back. Limited to short trips around town and such I have a hard time seeimg the point.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jimvreeland I beat the snot out this one for 90 min in turbo mode and 2 hrs towing the trailer and didn't get the battery to half either time. In Eco mode I think it would last pretty long

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
If all these are good for is pulling kids around and commuting, then whats the point of a full suspension electric mountain bike? Isn't it better to have a hardtail ebike so you can pedal the pig home when the battery craps out?

Metallica has become The Rolling Stones of metal. They should stop putting shitty albums out and just tour every year playing the old shit. They would probably still sell out every show.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If all these are good for is pulling kids around and commuting, then whats the point of a full suspension electric mountain bike? Isn't it better to have a hardtail ebike so you can pedal the pig home when the battery craps out?
I didnt say it wasnt good on the trails, I just said it wasnt as fast as my scalpel with the exception of straight uphills...with me on it at least. Its really fun, but they arent legal here so whats the point. With regards to the suspension, I think the opposite, you are not worried about having to push the extra weight in big tires and suspension up hill, so why not? In eco mode, the battery on this one would last all day or more I would imagine. Without the motor...well since it has a ~12T front cog...its actually not that terrible to move without the motor. Not ideal, but you wouldnt have to push it home if the battery died.

THATmanMANNY

True. But the range on these things is pretty terrible. I'd actually consider buying one to replace my car but it won't make my commute on a single charge. Which means an easy ride in, then pedaling 100 pound bike back. Limited to short trips around town and such I have a hard time seeimg the point.
One less car for the area. You should replace your car with one. The range will surprise you because if you are still pedaling hard and maintaining close to 20mph it doesn't use full power until you hit a hill. You will make it if you are in the right power use (eco, sport, turbo). Or just have a shop charger and home charger.

mfennell

Saw my first e-bike at Hartshorne 2 weeks ago. A Haibike in the Claypit lot. The internets says this is on the lower end of the current e-bikes @ 350W.

My concerns mirror several others. Anyone with a bit of fitness will be putting out 550W. Yeah, I can do that - for about a minute, properly motivated. Once. I don't think it's an overreaction to worry about how fast an inexperienced rider will get going on a mixed-use trail with a constant 500+W pushing him along and, of course, the latest bikes start at 500.

I think they'll be terrible for the trails too. Plenty of people make a mess grinding through the slop already. How's it going to work out when they can do it with a consistent 2-3X their natural power?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I was finally able to work out a babysitter and take my wife for a ride. My wife has a bike, but since our son has come along, she hasn't ridden it... So about three years or so minus a few miles once at 6mr. She's normally totally uninterested in riding with me.
Letting her hop on this however was a totally different experience. Being able to cruise at 20mph with me and not be quickly exhausted made the ride vastly more enjoyable.... After a few minutes she switched to turbo mode....
giphy.gif

I think my wife THROUGHLY enjoyed pulling away from my on the first hill we hit.

Overall it was pretty awesome to actually have a real bike ride with my wife... I'd consider buying one for her just cruising on the road
20170822_175240.jpg

Top Bottom