discuss electric bikes

THATmanMANNY

I don't want to talk about electric assisted bikes for the trails. This thread is for commuter/general use e bikes.

does anyone have one? what?

has anyone built one?

what are some of the better bike manufacturers and kits that specialize in electric bikes?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I don't want to talk about electric assisted bikes for the trails. This thread is for commuter/general use e bikes.

does anyone have one? what?

has anyone built one?

what are some of the better bike manufacturers and kits that specialize in electric bikes?

that headwind was really that bad?

THATmanMANNY

lol

no, this isn't because of the wind. Actually, it's more for my wife and general interest. She would like to bike to work but she has no means to clean up after the commute. She could ride to work without breaking much of a sweat with an e bike. She works too close to not bike.

But hey I thought the wind was pretty bad. The weather.com measure isn't realistic.

ChrisRU

There are days where I wish I had a throttle, especailly along the Hudson. Dudes in NYC cruise on them. Don't know anything about them though. Interested to see if anyone does.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jdog has one for TM, I think. I rode it around the parking lot at like 25mph. Can't say it wasn't fun going fast as hell with so little pedal effort.

skyrokz

I have seen kits on youtube Where the battery is in the shape of a water bottle so it fits in a bottle cage and there's a little motor that attaches under your bottom bracket and engages as soon as it senses pedal movement. Mounts to almost any traditional bike.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have a felt 29er with the bosh bb based system.

I have been using it for over a year and it is really fun

Cannondale has licensed this system too.

Charge time is reasonably quick and ride distance seems to be about 35 miles on a single charge.

image.jpg
image.jpeg

I am typically pulling one of the 2 trailers shown. It really has some pulling power and it can easily move my 200 lbs and either of the trailers. The tool version is well over 120lbs loaded.

This thing is a lifesaver after digging for 3 hours.

They don't have enough torque to wheelspin on the dirt. I am sure this is by design.

More e bikes were sold in Germany than pedal bikes in 2014.

Felt also makes a fat bike version

People love to hate these things, but I think they are harmless and fun. As someone who rides Moto, this is no motorcycle. It tops out at 19.9mph and it weighs a million lbs.

We sell the commuter versions too.

They are coming in a big way and the bike industry as a whole had already embraced them.

I can absolutely crush traffic and average 20+ mph and barely break a sweat. I can also regulate the power output and get sweaty if I like.

Let the flaming begin.

This is the felt cargo bike which may be right up your alley.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
For commuters I think these things are great. I could see land managers getting nervous about what a "motorized vehicle" actually is, but I think as long as that definition is adjusted for technology like this, there really shouldnt be a problem as far as trails go.

Having taken one around the lot for a few circles I was pretty surprised how quick it takes off.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I tried one on some open dirt in Germany. It was fun. The delivery guys in the city on these thing scare me. It's only a matter if time before someone is seriously injured if it hasn't happened already. 10mph vs 20mph makes a big difference esp when you don't care about obeying traffic laws.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
It's a motorized vehicle, that fact can not (and should not) be rationalized away.

I love the fact that it extends the practical use of the bike and I think you should be able to ride them anywhere other motorized vehicles are allowed to ride.

But they ARE motorized. J- is an interesting case. He has permission from the park to bring a vehicle into the park for TM, I would think the same "exception" would extend to a E-bike as well. But make no mistake, just as we can't bring a vehicle in recreationally, so too the E-bike.

Just a thought:

Taking someone who has developed the skill set to ride a given trail at 10mph and overnight now can ride it @15 mph.... It's going to get someone killed.

Sorry, I can not support mass adoption of e-bikes for trail use.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
E-bikes will only cause trail conflict to other trail users and subject the Mtb community to having access to trails we have now.

On the other side it will open up more people to experience Mtb that otherwise would be physically incapable.

In NJ to many trail users to warrant these in such crowded parks.

My selfish self wants an ebike full blown DH bike to eliminate shuttles and lifts :thumbsup:

ktmrider

E-bikes will only cause trail conflict to other trail users and subject the Mtb community to having access to trails we have now.

On the other side it will open up more people to experience Mtb that otherwise would be physically incapable.

In NJ to many trail users to warrant these in such crowded parks.

My selfish self wants an ebike full blown DH bike to eliminate shuttles and lifts :thumbsup:

Totally agree , I can see some of my wealthy assfuck clients buying them and acting like the own the trail .

THATmanMANNY

Very cool jdog.

Do you know what is the best? BB drive, read hub, front hub?

I would love to like in a place like that video.

So disappointed they stopped making the Kona Ute Electric (cargo bike)! They are hard to find. One was on ebay a couple years ago but I haven't seen one since (second hand)!

Top Bottom