Disappointment ...

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I got some very disappointing news last night.

31969003134_3938259378_b.jpg

Back in January, I bought the 2017 Niner AIR9 RDO. I had wanted a carbon SS for a while, but Niner had discontinued their ONE9 model this year. In fact, the company had consolidated a number of their lines as they began pushing into new territory (e.g., gravel bikes.) Apparently, the RDO was designed to take the place of a number of other models that were SS-compatible and still be a step-up in overall ride quality. Everything I heard about it said it was the lightest and fastest carbon hardtail around (the frame is objectively the lightest MTB frame available, but fastest is of course open to debate.) When I got it, I quickly realized that it was kind of on the cutting edge of what a hardtail can be and I absolutely loved the geometry. I've always been a fan of Niner's geometry for their hardtails, and this bike took all that to a new level.

So all was good in 1speed land ... until it wasn't.

When I first got the bike, the one niggling issue I had was that Niner was out of stock on their Biocentric 30 EBBs, so I had it built up with a ProblemSolvers EBB. Aftermarket EBBs are great but they inevitably start to squeak on you and require regular maintenance. I learned this long ago with my Chinese carbon build (which uses the Beer Components EBB, which is essentially the same design as the PS one.) And sure enough, after a few weeks it started to make noise. So I asked my shop to reserve the Biocentric 30 for me once it was available again, and I swapped out the aftermarket one for Niner's own EBB around maybe late March.

Now, I have had my Niner SIR9 for maybe four or five years now. It runs the standard Biocentric II EBB and aside from one single issue (I stripped the bolts on it and couldn't adjust it before last year's Stewart 45 much to the misery of my knees) the Bio II has been bulletproof. But the RDO has boost spacing, which means it can't accept the Bio II. In fact, the BB shell is way too small to accept it. Niner's solution to this was to create the Biocentric 30 this year, which has integrated ball bearings (unlike the Bio II which is really just a shell for a standard external bearing set.) I think I mentioned all of this in a previous thread, but the Bio 30, I think because it was born out of an engineering problem that created the need for compromise (not really, IMO), had some issues form the start. For one, it was incredibly hard to adjust because there simply wasn't space available to access the bolts if you ran most cranksets:

34242568101_6f9d5e6f94_b.jpg

Accessing those bolts was a PIA.

But ultimately, the real problem proved to be something else entirely, and this is where I was left truly disappointed. Back in April, the first time I raced on the Bio 30 was at uber-slopfest LBD. After that race, I needed the entire thing basically gutted and cleaned. There were fistfuls of mud in the bottom bracket after that horror movie of a day. And after I got it cleaned, my real problems began. I'd ride it for a couple of days and then the same noises I expected from the aftermarket EBB started happening with the Bio 30. And then they became constant. I figured it was just an adjustment needed, so I got that done, and less than a week later it was still quiet, but I discovered the frame had cracked. That's a whole other story in itself, but I did get it warrantied and replaced, but fromthe moment I had the new frame, the noise coming from the EBB was constant and very loud. I tried to get it adjusted twice with no help at all. Finally, I asked my shop to look into it and the answer he got from Niner has left me shaking my head.

According to Niner, this is a problem that will not go away. There's nothing wrong with the frame, but the EBB itself is being squished by the torque of riding it SS and the noise is resulting from that occurring where two differnet materials meet (carbon on the shell and aluminum for the BB itself.) Basically, it will eventually happen again no matter what I do - if I ignore it, I have to live with it now, but if I replace the EBB with a new one and it'll quiet for a while and then happen again. Their recommendation? Run it geared. Seriously, that's what they recommend.

I'm so disappointed, and not even because this happened. What pisses me off is that they seem to have known about it as an issue and still advertise this bike as a SS option. (Incedentally, my shop guy is more pissed that they knew about the frame crack issue and never told anyone that about 10% of their carbon frames would fail under regular stress.) No one wants to ride a bike that noisy. And if they knew this was a problem, why offer it as a solution to run a carbon SS? I'd have been fine looking elsewhere if I knew that the RDO may be the greatest race hardtail out there, but it just isn't compatible to run as a SS yet.

And that "yet" is, I think, where my real disappointment lies. The Bio 30 is a first year model that they thought would work as well as the Bio II. I think part of what I am dealing with is a first generation problem that they didn't see coming. They may solve this in the future, but I have to wait and hope the solution doesn't change the frame now since this is the one I have. Their previous ONE9 frame came with the larger housing to fit the Bio II. The addition of boost spacing seems to have made that impossible, but I'm not sure why. Did they design the frame a specific way and then realize this issue was there and respond by engineering the Bio 30 as a stop gap? Why couldn't they have built the boost spacing around the larger shell to fit their Bio II? Looking at it, it seems like they could have fit the larger BB shell on this frame if they wanted to, and they even had the molds to do it since they JUST discontinued the ONE9 last year! Maybe there are engineering issues I am not considering, and I'd give Niner the benefit of the doubt (1) me not understanding something fully is a typical problem and (2) I've never had real issues with their frames before, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this frame had to be designed the way it was. And if it did, why turn folks like me into unwitting guinea pigs on an unproven design? Why not just say you have no SS option right now? It's not like there are tons of us who would want to ride this SS anyway.

So right now, I'm basically sitting on a very expensive paper weight until I decide whether to just give up on the problem and convert it to a geared bike (which would solve it since that would eliminate the EBB which would eliminate the movement that's causing the noise) or keep replacing the EBB every few months at about $100 a pop and hope the issue doesn't start when I'm 50 miles into a 100 mile race because the noise is really like fingernails on a chalkboard -- I can't ignore it and it drives me nuts when I ride it. Not a great set of choices ...

qclabrat

this kind of sums up for me why I should go sliders, I'm not a regimented maintenance guy and this nagging EBB issue would make me set it on fire

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don't you have like 37 singlespeed bikes?

Sorry to hear of the issues. From an engineering aspect, I really dislike these eccentric BB's since I first saw them. It seems like everyone I know that has had them had some sort of issue, and although less so on Niner, with slipping, noise, etc. It may provide a clean look, but sliding dropouts I think look better than a giant BB and have no issues assuming you have some sort of chain tug/tension system which most do.

Going geared on this bike seems like what I would go with, at least until you can figure out a different solution or have somebody custom make you exactly what you need, which would probably be a lot cheaper than a years worth of EBB's.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Niner makes some cool looking bikes but they seem to have issues with designing a reliable ebb. Walter had issues with his Niner SS a few years ago as well.

I'd get my money back, if possible. As much as you like that frame the design and company are seriously flawed.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, that does suck. I would have expected more from Niner. Maybe Niner will supply you with the parts to run it geared at their expense? Something?

I do agree about EBB...they suck. Sliders seem to be a better solution overall.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I have a surly singleator collecting dust... wouldnt that be better than going geared?

1speed

Don't you have like 37 singlespeed bikes?

Sorry to hear of the issues. From an engineering aspect, I really dislike these eccentric BB's since I first saw them. It seems like everyone I know that has had them had some sort of issue, and although less so on Niner, with slipping, noise, etc. It may provide a clean look, but sliding dropouts I think look better than a giant BB and have no issues assuming you have some sort of chain tug/tension system which most do.

Going geared on this bike seems like what I would go with, at least until you can figure out a different solution or have somebody custom make you exactly what you need, which would probably be a lot cheaper than a years worth of EBB's.

Close - I have 4. That's kind of why I'm "disappointed" instead of "in a murderous rage". I LOVE my SIR9. And if it weren't for the fact that I was tantalized by a shiny new thing, I'd probably still be happily using that as my primary race bike. As it is, I'm now going to be doing that for the near future.

Oddly enough, this is what I originally thought I'd do and it was precisely because of you, Mitch. You may not recall this, but we did have a conversation about this a while back at Wiss right after you got yours and you said it was a great bike. So I went in thinking I was going to do a Pivot and was convinced to go with Niner instead at the time.

I have a surly singleator collecting dust... wouldnt that be better than going geared?

As bad as I am on any kind of additional parts added to a drivetrain, it probably wouldn't work for me. But thanks for the suggestion!

1speed

Wow, that does suck. I would have expected more from Niner. Maybe Niner will supply you with the parts to run it geared at their expense? Something?

I do agree about EBB...they suck. Sliders seem to be a better solution overall.

I actually do have the parts already -- when I bought the bike I bought it stock and made changes because it turned out to be cheaper than building it from the ground up after buying the frame. So I have a full XT set-up just collecting dust now.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I know how you feel about the Sir9's ride quality. The guy who came up with geometry of the Sir9 dose have a line. It's an outlier, so I'm a little hesitant to recommend. Just speaking from my own experience and FYI, I am a hippo not a racer sooooo. Anywhoo, the Ti and Steel 29 frames can run belt drives....so the BB and chain stays are STIFF. The result? The Ti one (mine) pedals like my old Air9 Carbon (the original, not the shitty newer ones) but rides soft like my Sir9.

If you've got nothing to do on the crapper........ https://www.domahidydesigns.com

1speed

I know how you feel about the Sir9's ride quality. The guy who came up with geometry of the Sir9 dose have a line. It's an outlier, so I'm a little hesitant to recommend. Just speaking from my own experience and FYI, I am a hippo not a racer sooooo. Anywhoo, the Ti and Steel 29 frames can run belt drives....so the BB and chain stays are STIFF. The result? The Ti one (mine) pedals like my old Air9 Carbon (the original, not the shitty newer ones) but rides soft like my Sir9.

If you've got nothing to do on the crapper........ https://www.domahidydesigns.com

Very cool! Thanks for the info -- I never heard of him, but if he designed SIR9, then I'd have to check him out.

I know that feeling of geo utopia.
Seven can give you that custom horse in a more lively material.

This is real talk.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet -- I still have the SIR9 and it's running great. But even with a newish frame, it's definitely got some years on it now. The other bikes I have are great, but I don't think I'd race them. My Misfit's geometry feels a lot more "trail" than XC race now that I put a fork on it, and while I have raced my Chinese carbon bike twice, both times were gravel grinders (Monster Cross and Iron Cross once each.) I'd be very nervous racing that bike for real because, well, I built it myself and that fact does not inspire confidence. So I'm kind of thinking over the options now. I think at this point even if I could get the RDO running smoothly, I just wouldn't trust it in a long race, so that option is more or less dead in the water (sad aside: I actually used it to commute to work today because one of the roads I usually ride is being repaved and torn up so I couldn't use my road bike. I looked at the stable of bikes in the basement and that was the one I grabbed because I figured maybe it can handle a road ride.)

A buddy of mine is pushing me to consider Moots. He is really high on them because when he first started looking, they told him they could match the geometry on his old Air9. Not sure what I'll do and I'm in no rush as long as the SIR9 holds up, but I'd definitely have to consider anyone who would be able to match the geometry on my current bike.

1speed

@1speed 's bike is thru axle. Doesn't look like 12x142 is an option.

That's right, it is a thru-axle ... and, ummm, even if it were an option, it would not be an option. I am a well-documented non-fan of ENO hubs. I used to have one on my very first SS, which was a converted Trek OCLV 26er, and it was an absolute POS in my experience. It needed to be adjusted more or less every single ride and it would drop the chain as soon as you put any kind of torque on it (and drop it from the cog, not the chain ring, which had the ancillary benefit of always feeling like an abrupt drop as opposed to just riding the chain off the ring so it always threw your knee into the stem when it dropped.) It was my only option other than the singulator at the time (and the singulator wasn't as good as it is now back then - we're talking about 2005 or so) but even then the idea of a eccentric hub never made sense to me -- in order to tension the chain, you were essentially lifting the wheel out of the drops. An EBB makes more sense for that kind of design because it is basically moving an inner circle (the spindle) around the inner circumference of an outer circle (the BB housing.) The outer circle stays put and the only (quite minor) accommodation the rider makes is a slightly different position over the bottom bracket. It doesn't change anything else about the bike itself, but an eccentric hub changes how the wheel sits in the drops. That meant adjusting it was no small consideration -- you had to consider the impact of adjusting the wheel on disc brakes, and you had to be very careful when tensioning that rotating the hub didn't create space between the top of the dropouts and the axle itself, which could happen on one side or both.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
As bad as I am on any kind of additional parts added to a drivetrain, it probably wouldn't work for me. But thanks for the suggestion!

I hear ya, but it's still a lot less component wise than adding a cassette/shifter/gears. When I used it I had the spring in the clockwise orientation so it was tucked away better and working with gravity.

It's free to try if you want it

2015-09-24 18.56.26.jpg

1speed

I hear ya, but it's still a lot less component wise than adding a cassette/shifter/gears. When I used it I had the spring in the clockwise orientation so it was tucked away better and working with gravity.

It's free to try if you want it

View attachment 53314

Thanks! I think these have greatly improved over time, but I still think I ride enough on single to say that I really should go with a purpose-built SS drivetrain. I don't know if the RDO would have compatibility issues with a singulator (not sure if I am spelling that right) or not -- I'm guessing it wouldn't if you are running it on a fat bike becuas etheonly odd thing about this geometry compared to my other bikes is the boost spacing.

1speed

Sell 3 singlespeed bikes, build one Ti bike /thread

I don't think I'd get enough to buy a full frame for what my SS's are worth now. They're all great bikes to me, but my Misfit looks beat up because it has like 15K miles on an aluminum frame, and no one would ever pay anything for my Chinese carbon bike (even though it's the lightest bike on earth) because they could just as cheaply build their own. The SIR9 will never leave my possession -- if it was blown up by an IED, I'd collect the pieces, hang them on a wall and salute it every morning before I left my house. That bike is like the hollow, bloodless, metal brother I always wanted. With that one off the table, unless I gear up the RDO and sell that too, I'm thinking selling all my other bikes would probably get me about enough for Wal-mart special.

Top Bottom