Difficulty Levels

robr1023

Mahlon Dickerson seems to be one the closest trail systems around me (from Oakland, only closer that I can find is Ringwood and Ramapo)

Ringwood and Ramapo, while I heard they are incredible, I am under the impression that they are advanced.

Mahlon Dickerson seems like a reasonable distance to drive, so this could be an option.

What is the difficulty like? Anything for beginners? (if so route/map etc?) I checked the sticky and the directory and people explain some routes but I don't know if they are designed for beginners. (Also, singletracks.com and those videotrailsreview videos - which I love! - said it was more on the advanced side... :cry:

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You could ride all around Mahlon on nothing but fire roads. I used to do a Pine Swamp loop that was pretty non-technical. But the fun stuff is going to be a bit more challenging. I really like the yellow single track from beaver brook to stone gate, but not sure how'd you'd body on the Wall reroute.
I mean it's definitely doable but you'd probably be walking some, you got any dirt biking in your background?

robr1023

No unfortunately. I've always wanted to. Just quadding once or twice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

SpartaBard

Have you been to Lewis Morris or the Tourne? Those would be two decent places to hit before Mahlon.

Mahlon can be faily nontechnical to very technical depending on the trail you pick. If you stay on the yellow loop then you would be in decent shape. Add in Cascade and Pine Swamp trail and the rail trail and you have a good loop.

There is a lot of climbing but staying on those trails will eliminate most of the very technical stuff.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Have you been to Lewis Morris or the Tourne? Those would be two decent places to hit before Mahlon.

Mahlon can be faily nontechnical to very technical depending on the trail you pick. If you stay on the yellow loop then you would be in decent shape. Add in Cascade and Pine Swamp trail and the rail trail and you have a good loop.

There is a lot of climbing but staying on those trails will eliminate most of the very technical stuff.

I rode The Tourne the other day and kept thinking how PERFECT that place is for a north jersey beginner

robr1023

I don't know why I overlooked Tourne. I think it's not listed on sigletracks but it is on the trail directory... Is it small?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
This is a great idea for the trail directory, right? A difficulty level for each park. Like green, blue, black diamond, double black diamond...ect

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't know why I overlooked Tourne. I think it's not listed on sigletracks but it is on the trail directory... Is it small?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Five miles if you loop around a bit. I'd agree its a pretty good beginner spot.

njmark

Professional Cyclist
This is a great idea for the trail directory, right? A difficulty level for each park. Like green, blue, black diamond, double black diamond...ect

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

I like this idea.

BAIN

I can give you a tour of Tourne, Lewis Morris, Mahlon or Kittatiny any day after work. I am just getting my legs back after an injury so I am only doing an hour to an hour and a half rides.

Tourne to could do 8 fairly quick miles in an hour. LM is just as quick but has a couple more hills but equally as fast and clean, Mahlon is one of my fave spots but it can beat you up and bit but does offer tons of different routes and Kitt is just my go to park that gives beginners and advanced some nice riding.

goldsbar

Not sure I get the whole beginner thing. It's not fall and die type of terrain. Makes more sense for DH riding. I started riding on tech stuff and loved it ever since. Your lungs will adjust very quickly.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions