Deer hunting at high mountain?

1TrackMind

I was riding high mountain tonight and encountered 2 hunters by the water tower in Ancients, setting stands and spreading deer food at around 10pm. They were nice, but insisted I was on private property and that I should be careful for hunters . (One of the reasons I ride at 10pm is so I don’t have to worry about me or my dog getting shot).
I am curious, does ancients run through golf course property? They also said Jacks does( according to strava maps it looks like ancients does). Also, I didn’t think Wayne allows discharging a firearm ( they said that law has changed), is firearm hunting legal on the property around high mountain? They also noted their stands were being vandalized, and initially thought I was culprit... I hope we aren’t doing so, that would only lead to hunters feeling justified to booby trap our trails.
Lastly, there is (legal or not) firearm hunting taking place near the golf course, if you do ride these trails please wear orange!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Up around Berdan on Blue, seem to run into private property and there are signs posted there, but not sure about the area near the golf course. On the east side, there were a few occasions where I almost rode into someones back yard. But generally, there is no hunting in HM but I have been told that doesn't mean it doesn't happen and I have seen shotgun shells laying around here and there.... not sure if they are from hunting.

I thought it was illegal to hunt 1/2hr after sundown? Is this aspect of the law different on private property?

Last edited:

wlee

December 4 th is opening day of shotgun season for deer. They were probably setting up their spots and placing feed out. As for Hunting I doubt it’s legal there even if it private property.

BillyGoatBiker

See http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2017/regsets17-18.pdfbelow from NJ Fish and Wildlife, it is deer season, but no hunting allowed at night (I always understood this is to prevent accidents)

See below from Town of Wayne website, it appears hunting is permitted within the Town so long as its in accordance with State regulations and they have a permit.

That said, they definitely should not be hunting at night, and its a bit disconcerting to have guys rigging up tree stands so close to hiking and biking trails.

§ 77-3. Carrying and/or discharging of firearms prohibited.
No person shall carry and/or discharge a handgun, rifle, shotgun, weapon or any firearm within the Township of Wayne except as set forth hereinafter. (New)

§ 77-4. Hunting, carrying and/or discharging a firearm; exceptions.

The provisions of § 77-3 of this chapter shall not be applicable to the discharge of any handgun, rifle, shotgun, weapon or firearm in the following places and/or under the following circumstances, except that the "farmer" exemption in accordance with state law.

A. Upon a firearm range which is under the supervision of the Township Police Department or a legally established rifle or pistol range used for target practice.

B. By members of the Township Police Department, any law enforcement officer of any municipal, county or state or federal government or any representative of the Division of Fish and Wildlife, the Department of Environmental Protection, State of New Jersey, while in the performance of their official duties in accordance with law.

C. By any person in protection of himself/herself, members of his/her family or his/her guests or in protection of his/her property.

D. During a recognized ceremonial event such as the firing of salutes by veterans' organizations and similar associations as part of patriotic and holiday activities. This subsection shall not be deemed to create an exception for any individual discharging a firearm in celebration of holidays such as the 4th of July, New Year's Eve, etc.

E. By a person to whom has been issued a permit by an agency of the State of New Jersey permitting the killing of a bird, animal, vermin or pest with the type of firearm permitted thereby, so long as he/she is in full compliance with all laws, rules and regulations applicable to such permit holder.

Mtbdog

Hunting is prohibited at HMP. And according to club member no hunting on golf property. IMO those blinds are illegal.

1TrackMind

See http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2017/regsets17-18.pdfbelow from NJ Fish and Wildlife, it is deer season, but no hunting allowed at night (I always understood this is to prevent accidents)

See below from Town of Wayne website, it appears hunting is permitted within the Town so long as its in accordance with State regulations and they have a permit.

That said, they definitely should not be hunting at night, and its a bit disconcerting to have guys rigging up tree stands so close to hiking and biking trails.

§ 77-3. Carrying and/or discharging of firearms prohibited.
No person shall carry and/or discharge a handgun, rifle, shotgun, weapon or any firearm within the Township of Wayne except as set forth hereinafter. (New)

§ 77-4. Hunting, carrying and/or discharging a firearm; exceptions.

The provisions of § 77-3 of this chapter shall not be applicable to the discharge of any handgun, rifle, shotgun, weapon or firearm in the following places and/or under the following circumstances, except that the "farmer" exemption in accordance with state law.

A. Upon a firearm range which is under the supervision of the Township Police Department or a legally established rifle or pistol range used for target practice.

B. By members of the Township Police Department, any law enforcement officer of any municipal, county or state or federal government or any representative of the Division of Fish and Wildlife, the Department of Environmental Protection, State of New Jersey, while in the performance of their official duties in accordance with law.

C. By any person in protection of himself/herself, members of his/her family or his/her guests or in protection of his/her property.

D. During a recognized ceremonial event such as the firing of salutes by veterans' organizations and similar associations as part of patriotic and holiday activities. This subsection shall not be deemed to create an exception for any individual discharging a firearm in celebration of holidays such as the 4th of July, New Year's Eve, etc.

E. By a person to whom has been issued a permit by an agency of the State of New Jersey permitting the killing of a bird, animal, vermin or pest with the type of firearm permitted thereby, so long as he/she is in full compliance with all laws, rules and regulations applicable to such permit holder.
Thanks... sorry for the lack of clarity (blaming that on post ride cocktails) they weren’t actually hunting at the moment, but prepping to hunt. While I fully expect to run into bow hunters /poachers during the day, I was surprised to run into guys planning firearm hunting, and claiming to be doing it legally. They also claimed that they posted signs around the property, but I didn’t see any... anyone see posted signs around the ancients and the white trail?

Mtbdog

Glad u noticed these guys. On HMP website feeding critters a no-no. Private property signs r largely bogus. This is very alarming! Thank for your diligence. HMP is hard enough!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions