D&R canal towpath closed - Griggstown to Rocky Hill

rick81721

Lothar
Since the towpath and 6mr are technically the same park, figured I'd put this here. The canal is being dredged, so that section is closed for those that ride it. I think eventually they will move north so the next section (griggstown to blackwells mills may be next)

mstyer

I don't understand why that section is closed, meanwhile the dredging barge is between Rocky Hill and Kingston but that section isn't closed. Logic.

Dingo

Since the towpath and 6mr are technically the same park, figured I'd put this here. The canal is being dredged, so that section is closed for those that ride it. I think eventually they will move north so the next section (griggstown to blackwells mills may be next)
Interesting, Why are they dredging? Are they planing on towing barges by mules again.

rlb

Why deredge a canal that sees no vessel traffic, aside from kayaks with a 6" draft?

Karate Monkey

Why deredge a canal that sees no vessel traffic, aside from kayaks with a 6" draft?

It's used as storm drainage/irrigation. The more it holds, the better for everyone. During Irene, it overflowed in Princeton, thankfully into the marsh.

mwlikesbikes

These days the canal acts as a resivoir, I know that the NJ American water plant in Bridgewater uses it to feed the filter plant.

rlb

New Brunswick uses it too. And I believe NJAW has 2 plants off the canal.

Flood control was my original thought, but I think the water level is controlled by the elevation of the locks and spillways, and not the depth of the canal itself. It will just hold more volume I believe. Then again I'm not and engineer so WTF do I really know?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Maybe there's more than one? Thought I saw one on the closed section a few days ago

PS the turtles are liking that giant pipe that floats on top

There are 2 separate dredges in the canal. I rode through the closed section last Friday evening and it was a disaster. In addition to the dredging they are repairing one of the valve/spillway sections and the towpath is a complete mess.

rlb

Well yeah, but planning the easiest route, without aerial surveys and such. Must have been a really big project back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_and_Raritan_Canal

In 1816, the New Jersey legislature created a commission of three people, including John Rutherfurd, a former United States Senator and a major landowner in New Jersey, which was authorized to survey and map a proposed route for a canal. Rutherfurd engaged John Randel Jr. to do the survey; Rutherfurd knew Randel from his work on the New York City Commissioners' Plan of 1811, for which Rutherfurd was one of the commissioners, and Randel was the chief surveyor. The route was to be "a level line as far as was practicable from Longbridge farm to the Delaware, and to the Raritan, in the shortest direction that the ground would admit, which line should be run with the greatest accuracy, and be esteemed the base line of the work." Randel spent two months surveying this route and, with the aid of a millwright, estimating water flow. They came to the conclusion that the canal would require less than an eighteenth of the water passing through the local streams, which would still leave enough water flow for local mills.[3] Despite Randel's report, and the clear advantage of having such a canal, the opposition to the project managed to keep anything from happening until 1830.[2]

mstyer

There are 2 separate dredges in the canal. I rode through the closed section last Friday evening and it was a disaster. In addition to the dredging they are repairing one of the valve/spillway sections and the towpath is a complete mess.
I ended up riding this section last evening as the signs at Rocky Hill were turned aside. I saw quite a few other people enjoying the trail as well. There was one tight spot where I had to pick my way around a generator near the repair mentioned, but otherwise it was in great shape. The sign at Griggstown was still in place, oddly.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions