D&L Fat Epic 200/400k February 11th, 2017

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Per Jims calculation it looks like 7:26, of which I am very happy with. Not going to lie, the thought of turning around on the way out crossed my mind more than once.

Nice job man. Dave and Ian did pretty good as well.... should take the sting out of any lunchtime battles that they lose to me considering I wasn't man enough to even DNF the race

qclabrat

not gonna lie, im a little dissapointed i didnt get DFL

the guys that came in after me mustve been hurting really bad. either that or i dont give myself enough credit.

great race though, suffering was expected, and certainly delivered! thanks for putting this on
Impressed by all, especially #38, who stuck to it for 11:30 hrs

The Kalmyk

Sounds like wet heavy snow and mud. You all are beasts.

@Johnny Utah its good to hear you didn't sike yourself out.

One very attractive attribute bout cycling is how it can be done into our golden years at a level we may not be able to achieve in other sports.

Last edited:

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Congrats to the winners and deep respect to all the finishers. With the early start and location, just getting there makes for a long, sleep deprived day. Despite staying in the area the night before I still didn't get the best rest and started off with a headache. The morning staging was in the mid 20s and while everyone was assembling, the question of how much clothing or whether to use pogies was the dilemma. The start was a little late, 715 abouts and we did not bother to stagger classes. Conditions heading north were good, solid frozen trail, but I neglected to clear my water feed and so it froze and was a distraction for awhile. As Jim warned, just north of New Hope the trail was snow, but firm, and along stretches I could float on top despite the fact that 50+ riders had already passed. As we approached public access points for the canal, the footprints would appear, frozen in the trail. You could try to dodge them to some extend, weave in and out, but for those of us on rigid forks it was brutal. Sure, you can air down a bit, but that comes at the expense of rolling resistance, and well... 60 miles to go. Tinicum Park was an especially bad area and the pack headed to the virgin snow of the adjacent fields. This escape however was not an option in the afternoon when it was much warmer. About 15mi south of Easton the mud started. I had anticipated this and in the days before attached fenders on my bike, but the one in the rear, was untested and next to useless. Up to this point, I had been comfortable, but now not so much. At the turn-around in Easton I arrived to a welcoming crew. Dismounted and waddled around with sagging britches refueling for the return. I left for the return leg with 5 riders and we stuck together and comiserated through the mud. by the time we reached Black Eddy, where the snow was still good, we started to spread out. My Farley performed very well , running 3.8 Hodag in back and not so Fat Larry up front, it was fast rolling and tracked fairly well in the mash and so getting through Tinicum Park was not as hopeless as I thought it would be. Average speed dropped to around 9mph. Eventually, I caught up with @Mumonkan and we finished together.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
FB_IMG_1455041923846.jpg

Mumonkan

i would say i wish but screw that, we worked our asses off to finish, and we were so happy to just be done.

norms wife tried to pull a slick one catch him for a photo in new hope but we passed right by her. im sure he was happy to get back to her too

Top Bottom