Cycling Computer - Advice

DownhillR3

Hey all,

So now that i'm back into biking, want to continue tracking my weekly progress. All I have is a Cateye from roughly 2006 and looking to upgrade.

Main wants:
Track mileage and moving time while sitting on trainer indoors
Use on road bike during summer
Wireless signal works from rear wheel to handlebar mount

Thoughts on these:
Raniaco Wireless Computer
Cateye Wireless Computer

I do not need a fancy heart rate monitor or something that tells me Watts, that is all just ramble to me. Not looking to break the bank on this purchase, just something super basic that does the job.

Any insight? Thanks!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cycling computers are dirt cheap now because of Garmin and other GPS capable devices. I have a Cateye somewhere which is just fine. Just attach a magnet to a spoke, ziptie the sensor to a chainstay or fork, plug in your tire rollout in millimeters, and you're good to go. If you think you'll be getting a GPS device at some point to track rides on Strava, you can get a cadence/speed sensor to track you mileage on rollers or a trainer though if you want to make the investment. If you don't care about Strava, a bikeputer is probably a better/cheaper option for you and will keep a total mileage like a car odometer... until your battery dies.

DownhillR3

I use Strava currently to log all my ride miles on my phone. Looking for a bike computer to do the same basic thing, mileage per ride, average speed, total miles.

Thanks.

wonderturtle

I use Strava currently to log all my ride miles on my phone. Looking for a bike computer to do the same basic thing, mileage per ride, average speed, total miles.

Thanks.

Dude. If you're already using strava then you should just get a garmin!

You track your rides on your phone and then separately on a bike computer? Why do that?

I went through this exact same thing about a year ago. Didn't want to spend $ but liked the idea of strava. And also needed just the basics (distance, time, average).

Around that time they came out with the garmin edge 25. Basic. Cheap (around $170)....links via Bluetooth to the strava app in your phone!

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-25/prod508489.html

Love it. Simple. Small (1 inch square).

Btw get the edge 25 (not the 20) as the edge 20 doesn't link via Bluetooth (need to USB it = not simple). We'll worth the extra $40. Think there are other advantages over the edge 20 too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom