Cutting the cord (this again!)

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have 100 MBPS symmetric service from FIOS and havent had any issues streaming HD netflix or amazon prime video, the upgrade was specifically to manage the bandwidth requirements of the HTPCs that i use to watch live tv. Each PRIME that you have (i only have one, and dont seem to need another) limits you to 3 receiving devices on the network(this means i needed a network capable of 120Mbps + whatever the computers want to browse online, idk if the streaming services compress the data that you dl/stream or not), i use rapberry pis (v3 iirc, the one with the Quad core processor) with OSMC to stream all my media on my TV. My bill is <$90 a month for triple play and i can watch tv in 3 rooms at once without a single cable box.

once this contract period is over with FIOS im considering their 'gigabit' connection, i have not decided yet.

Gnick

i have 100 MBPS symmetric service from FIOS and havent had any issues streaming HD netflix or amazon prime video, the upgrade was specifically to manage the bandwidth requirements of the HTPCs that i use to watch live tv. Each PRIME that you have (i only have one, and dont seem to need another) limits you to 3 receiving devices on the network(this means i needed a network capable of 120Mbps + whatever the computers want to browse online, idk if the streaming services compress the data that you dl/stream or not), i use rapberry pis (v3 iirc, the one with the Quad core processor) with OSMC to stream all my media on my TV. My bill is <$90 a month for triple play and i can watch tv in 3 rooms at once without a single cable box.

once this contract period is over with FIOS im considering their 'gigabit' connection, i have not decided yet.

i have to admit - i dont fully understand all of that terminology, but its informative. I watched the football game on hulu live through a roku last night with 30mbps and it was good. Once I get the new amazon fire with 4k capability I imagine I'll need to get fios in here.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

I was just getting ready to pull the plug on cable and this post made my brain explode.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was just getting ready to pull the plug on cable and this post made my brain explode.

dont let my setup scare you, i still have cable, i have a greatly reduced plan, and dont have any cable boxes, heres a glossary, if you have any questions feel free to ask about the specifics, im more than happy to share.

htpc - home theatre PC (usually hooked up to your TV instead (or in addition to) a cable box
PC - personal computer (see below definition)
tv - television (yes im a smart ass)
HDhomerunPrime - not an abbreviation, but its a network tuner box (you can think like a cable box connected to your internet)
OSMC - opensource media center, its a spinoff/progression of XBMC which runs very well on linux based computers
XBMC - xbox media center
raspberrypi - credit card sized computer, initially designed to help spread computer at an educational level has been adopted by hobbyists to a large degree for all sorts of automation/tinkering type projects
linux - PC operating system performs the same function as windows does on your laptop, but with a lot more flexibility and security
Mbps - megaBITS per second, there are 8 bits in a byte of data, it is a measure of how fast you transfer data.

i think that covers everything, like i said, if you have questions feel free to ask, or pm me, id be happy to help you set up something similar if you are interested.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
dont let my setup scare you, i still have cable, i have a greatly reduced plan, and dont have any cable boxes, heres a glossary, if you have any questions feel free to ask about the specifics, im more than happy to share.

htpc - home theatre PC (usually hooked up to your TV instead (or in addition to) a cable box
PC - personal computer (see below definition)
tv - television (yes im a smart ass)
HDhomerunPrime - not an abbreviation, but its a network tuner box (you can think like a cable box connected to your internet)
OSMC - opensource media center, its a spinoff/progression of XBMC which runs very well on linux based computers
XBMC - xbox media center
raspberrypi - credit card sized computer, initially designed to help spread computer at an educational level has been adopted by hobbyists to a large degree for all sorts of automation/tinkering type projects
linux - PC operating system performs the same function as windows does on your laptop, but with a lot more flexibility and security
Mbps - megaBITS per second, there are 8 bits in a byte of data, it is a measure of how fast you transfer data.

i think that covers everything, like i said, if you have questions feel free to ask, or pm me, id be happy to help you set up something similar if you are interested.
That is interesting, I didn't considering just keeping m fios and dumping all of my dvr, hd box and a normal box. My just keep the non-dvr box. I am in the middle of a contract but the cancellation fee is basically one months payment.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That is interesting, I didn't considering just keeping m fios and dumping all of my dvr, hd box and a normal box. My just keep the non-dvr box. I am in the middle of a contract but the cancellation fee is basically one months payment.

thats basically what i did, if you want more information about the setup i have figured out and working lmk

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

Just keep the internet connection, FireTV, PlaystationVue, good savings. I like having reliable internet.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
They do a great job. The only thing I miss is channel numbers, having too many to scroll all the way across is kind of annoying...

Vue may be a premium product price wise, but it's the most lateral change you can make without going too outside the box.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Directv is relentlessly working hard to get me back. I was a customer since 1998. They have offered me everything I had plus NFL ticket and all the premium channels for 29.99 a month. I said No!

Gnick

Directv is relentlessly working hard to get me back. I was a customer since 1998. They have offered me everything I had plus NFL ticket and all the premium channels for 29.99 a month. I said No!
wish i could say the same about xfin - they basically said i had it good and now we're going to raise your internet cost because you're not bundled. and relentlessly tried to sell me a land line.

Piston Honda

Just an update on Hulu Live TV: Upgraded to 100 mbps and confirmed that LAN is gigabit, but service still stutters. Did a little more research online and it appears that others are experiencing the same issue regardless of network speed.

Switching to Vue now. Have to make sure I can watch the Yankee game w/o issue.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Just an update on Hulu Live TV: Upgraded to 100 mbps and confirmed that LAN is gigabit, but service still stutters. Did a little more research online and it appears that others are experiencing the same issue regardless of network speed.

Switching to Vue now. Have to make sure I can watch the Yankee game w/o issue.

use speedtest.net on a wired device to check for throughput.

more than likely it is a settings problem (maybe traffic priority or packet size/buffer size)

how are you accessing hulu? through a box (like roku or firestick, or smart tv?) is it wired?
i'm assuming you are not casting or mirroring ?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
for what its worth, I only have 100/10 and have zero issues with streaming quality on vue. takes about 2-3 seconds to go from standard to HD. its lit

Piston Honda

use speedtest.net on a wired device to check for throughput.

more than likely it is a settings problem (maybe traffic priority or packet size/buffer size)

how are you accessing hulu? through a box (like roku or firestick, or smart tv?) is it wired?
i'm assuming you are not casting or mirroring ?
I'm running 100+ mbps give or take a few on speedtest.net and Google's test. Made adjustments to router to give priority to media devices. On both hardwired (desktop computer) and wifi (2 Chromecasts and 1 XBOX One) , still stutter--I mean it's not constant, but during yesterday's Yankee game it happened every 5 minutes or so especially during their 7th inning explosion.

FYI - All other services like Netflix, Amazon video, etc run fine w/o issue. I think it's just Hulu's Live TV service. I don't have this problem when watching their pre-recorded stuff.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm running 100+ mbps give or take a few on speedtest.net and Google's test. Made adjustments to router to give priority to media devices. On both hardwired (desktop computer) and wifi (2 Chromecasts and 1 XBOX One) , still stutter--I mean it's not constant, but during yesterday's Yankee game it happened every 5 minutes or so especially during their 7th inning explosion.

FYI - All other services like Netflix, Amazon video, etc run fine w/o issue. I think it's just Hulu's Live TV service. I don't have this problem when watching their pre-recorded stuff.

interesting - does sound like the head-end is causing the problem. were the stutters on camera cuts ?
quick google and the problem does appear widespread. guess they didn't use multicast for the live streams.....

Piston Honda

BTW, I might be using the wrong term "stutter". When it happens, the load bar pops up and the frame freezes for a few seconds.

Top Bottom