Cutting the cord (this again!)

thegock

1. YouTube TV is $72.99 now. The Verizon Internet is $80.
2. I should switch to SlingTV which is about $58 with the B1G network.
3. I have heard that the satellite TV service (many providers) is dirt cheap, but not sure I can get B1G network.

I think when I started YTTV four years ago it was #34.99? They are slowly raising the temperature of the water so the frog (moi) won't notice.

Last edited:

rjr44

Boxes are now $18 and we have 3
DAAAAAAAANG, happy to hear my savings are increasing w/o me lifting a finger! Of course, doesn't help you until you make the cut...also wanna mention that a gaming station (xbox/ps/etc) or a streaming stick (chromecast/roku/firestick) is infinitely better than the sw on those crap top boxes (at least it was back then, don't know if they've improved their sw). An out-of-the-box Motorola STB (that's what they used way back when I had them for TV) was awesome; Verizon dropping their sw layer on top of it made it total shite. If that's still the case it makes cutting them off a bigger slam dunk than ever.

Is there a slower speed you can get? Get that. My slowest speed they offer just got bumped up $60 a month. Never have speed issues/concerns.
100% this...wife and I both work from home, and I have several laptops plus an iPad going all day for work doing different things, including streaming. Kids stream plenty on their devices. Can't say I've ever had the thought "we need more bandwidth."

1. YouTube TV is $72.99 now. The Verizon Internet is $80.
DAAAAAAAANG part 2, my YT TV plus FIOS internet was more than that $153 I don't even know how many years ago, wanna say at least 2015! For once I can't even complain "inflation bro."

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One can also save on modems if they charge for monthly rental. I bought my own and it paid itself already.

i assume this is standard now, but my modem is integrated into the fiber box with FIOS, i just have a cat 6 cable coming out of it and plugging into your standard router

cant speak to cable

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i assume this is standard now, but my modem is integrated into the fiber box with FIOS, i just have a cat 6 cable coming out of it and plugging into your standard router

cant speak to cable
That's your ONT with Ethernet handoff. They don't charge for the ONT. You can still get whatever router you want. Modems are for cable service.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's your ONT with Ethernet handoff. They don't charge for the ONT. You can still get whatever router you want. Modems are for cable service.

Yea not having had anything else in a while I wasn't sure what the other guys did

rlb

On the older ONTs they were configured to only have the coax output enabled, so you still needed to use the shitty Verizon router. However, you can have customer service activated the Ethernet port on the ONT (it's an adventure finding someone who understands what you're asking, and has the capacity don't) so you can use your own router.

Robson

I have RCN internet in Manhattan and normally they supply customer with modem/router for monthly rental fee. I bought my own modem and router.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have RCN internet in Manhattan and normally they supply customer with modem/router for monthly rental fee. I bought my own modem and router.
My current cable company doesn't charge for the modem. I completely thought there was some scam going on with them saying it was free but it turns out there really is no monthly fee. Very surprised.

With Cablevision/Optimum buying my own paid for itself pretty quickly.

cyclops

Try living in 08840. Optimum is the only TV service available in Metuchen and they know it.

We tried cutting the cord last year, but my wife couldn't stand dealing with multiple services just to watch TV. The one good thing was that since I quit Optimum at $300+ they eventually emailed an offer for less than half to come back. So we did. It must be exactly a year since my bill just shot up to $218. Time to call and threaten to quit again.
Just call them and threaten to disconnect due to cost. They generally will make your internet for $40 for 300mbps, but sometimes they don't agree, just decline, hang up and call again later.

BTW, you can create a new account, say in your wife's name (or your dog) with them at the same address. It helps if your last names are different as they do some sort of check before setting up the new account.

cyclops

My current cable company doesn't charge for the modem. I completely thought there was some scam going on with them saying it was free but it turns out there really is no monthly fee. Very surprised.

With Cablevision/Optimum buying my own paid for itself pretty quickly.
Optimum gives their modem+router combo free now. But they use it for hosting the optimumwifi service.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Just call them and threaten to disconnect due to cost. They generally will make your internet for $40 for 300mbps, but sometimes they don't agree, just decline, hang up and call again later.

BTW, you can create a new account, say in your wife's name (or your dog) with them at the same address. It helps if your last names are different as they do some sort of check before setting up the new account.

Nah. I'm holding out for Trump TV.

Top Bottom