Cutting steerer, top caps, and spacers so confused

YouRang87

Hello, trying to get a new fork installed. Installed the fork, spacers, and stem where I want the bars. I drew a line at the top then as recommended drew a “cut” line 3mm down. Cut steerer, and went to install star nut. I struggled with it so I opted for an old compression plug I had around. After installing plug I put spacers n stem back on and could not achieve preload. The style of compression plug is the kind where the top of it sits on top of steerer tube.

QUESTION, do star nuts and plugs use different types of top caps? I can tell my cap is the old school style looking like it was meant for a star nut. Do you cut your steerer according to the type of insert you’re going to use? For example 3mm below the top for star nut but 5mm below the top for the plug?

I wanted 35mm of spacers below stem and 5 above. This would of worked with the star nut but since the plug added 1mm? To my steerer I had to put an additional 5mm above.

Does anyone get the idea of what I’m asking? I know it’s simple but it always always gets me. PS it’s an alloy steerer.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Your top cap, depending on the shape/design, is probably bottoming out on the compression plug as it does add height to the steerer length. Compression plugs are usually just used on carbon steerers so I would have somebody bang the star nut in for you if you could not get it and you should be golden. As long as the compression plug isn't slipping in your steerer now, you could also cut it shorter or get a 1-2mm spacers to throw above or below, but the proper star nut in there would be optimal.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
my starnut installs have always sucked (slightly crooked), it there a good DIY solution?

After a few makeshift tools using deep sockets & spacers, this thing is worth every penny
http://www.jensonusa.com/JensonUSA-...QIWFeh14eO5EoMwT_4M-aAFkaoA6HZzAaAofpEALw_wcB

@YouRang87 I have a nice Park Tools star nut setter. Will be in your neck of the woods for my nephews bday party Saturday if you wanted to use it . Also heading to clayton sunday morning for the kids mtb ride.

w_b

Yes the star nut setter has the handle on it to muscle it straight after you sink it to the correct depth. Guaranteed to be crooked without it.

Top Bottom