cutting new trails?

ryderX

It's been somewhat drama free here for awhile and if you want to bust someone, have at 'em. I rode KVSP tonight and we're not talking about a few cheater lines or reroutes. They scrubbed out a trail straight down from the cell tower, built ramps, removed water bars and pretty much fucked up the off camber climb that starts down by the lake and continues up through the switchbacks to the road crossing up top. A significant amout of time and effort was involved.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unbelievable stupidity, won't take long to figure out as soon as some time spent there seeing who shows up with there awesome enduro/free ride rig...

jpn

I saw this happening last May; I posted some pictures and asked about this and there wasn't much concern at that point. I think the posts are in page 5 or 6 of the trail conditions post. Unfortunately my job has changed somewhat and I am not able to get into KVSP as much as I used too. I was there a few times last summer and haven't been over there yet this year. The last 4-5 years I was in there regularly from April to October. I am grateful to Team Bulldog and everyone else who has put TM in there and made a great trail system in the park. What I don't understand is how this could be happening literally right under everyone's nose? You can see the top portion of Red from the cell tower access road, especially in the wiinter when the trees are bare. It is hard to believe that this kind of trail activity could go unnoticed.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
It's not hard to believe, it's IMPOSSIBLE. It totally gets noticed and you can walk right up to a ranger and tell them and they'll be like"oh go leave a message at the office", then they find it a year later and decide to freak out. At that point Ryder X will post another doomsday post and the thread starts over. Welcome to my world:mad:

ryderX

It's not hard to believe, it's IMPOSSIBLE. It totally gets noticed and you can walk right up to a ranger and tell them and they'll be like"oh go leave a message at the office", then they find it a year later and decide to freak out. At that point Ryder X will post another doomsday post and the thread starts over. Welcome to my world:mad:
Oh, that's what you meant by drama. I'll make a deal with you sizzle chest. I'm off the next 2 days and I'll be heading over to meet with the park superintendent. How's about you and your cute furry face come with me and you can report back to the masses what goes down. I'm sure you'll tap dance around the invite and respond with your usual dismissive self absorbed yet endearing trite manner but you can't say I didn't try.

njkayaker

A ranger stopped to talk to me the other day asking why so many cars there. Running group that shows once a week. He was super cool and showed no mountain biker animosity

DonBito

I went there last Sunday, and saw 3 guys with downhill rigs shredding that trail coming down from the cell tower. At the time I thought that it was cool, cause it was my first time going up there and with the big air they were doing. But now that I just read the previous posts about that NOT being part of the trail, and how that could be a problem for all of us, I will definitely keep my eyes open for the next time I'll go there and snap some pictures. I still remember the bikes they had.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
So here is my take on all the bootleg and short cut trails. What was explained to me was that all the state parks have a ratio of trails that are built per so many acres of land. If this gets close to that number we cannot build any legal trails. Plus then the parks get pissed that they spent X number of hours doing maps and such only to find out those maps are not accurate. then theres the whole closing access which in my opinion only hurts those of us who do things on the up and up.This will not phase anybody who is cutting these trails.The bad part is as park stewards we are not park police that is the parks job. The only thing we can do is 1) do not ride boot leg trails 2) if we see any one doing this we need to try and explain the bigger picture. The bad part is those who are cutting these trails most likely are not on this board. this is the same as people putting in cheater lines and by that I do not mean rounding the corners I mean the ones that cut across a switch back to make it easier most corners will make themselves we had a few that were just too sharp on so trails and they migrated a bit.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
There are 2 camps of trail hacks...14-20year old bored kids who just don't see the harm/big picture AND.....connected, informed and participating members of the cycling community who just don't give a f when it comes down to it. They are on teams,work for shops and read this board. The best/worst example is Wawayanda. Dude literally rebuilt the entire park. We know who it is, park knows who it is and nothing happens! The last guy in the world you'd expect as well. My sig is all about this topic... I don't even own a Priest album. For years I've been trying to get to the big players 'but people talk and they always just seem to make a clean getaway. Someone just point me to the park official whos finally ready to make an example and we'll have a good ol time:mad:

ryderX

There are 2 camps of trail hacks...14-20year old bored kids who just don't see the harm/big picture AND.....connected, informed and participating members of the cycling community who just don't give a f when it comes down to it. They are on teams,work for shops and read this board. The best/worst example is Wawayanda. Dude literally rebuilt the entire park. We know who it is, park knows who it is and nothing happens! The last guy in the world you'd expect as well. My sig is all about this topic... I don't even own a Priest album. For years I've been trying to get to the big players 'but people talk and they always just seem to make a clean getaway. Someone just point me to the park official whos finally ready to make an example and we'll have a good ol time:mad:
I find it hard to admit this but your 100% correct. The KVSP rogue trail builders have recently become enlightened. Problem solved.

njkayaker

there were a couple guys with downhill bikes there last night. heard from another he saw a guy filming video on that trail recently

jpn

Well, I got into KVSP a little yesterday afternoon and got up to the tower via green and red. kind of puzzling going up red near the top as the red markings are painted over with blue cross outs. At least three trees are down causing re-routes. Is there a major re-route going on near the top of red? I also saw some new trails near the cell tower and those look like a moto has been making them. It sure looked like a moto had been riding around up there.

I wish the downed trees could be chained sawed and cleared and the origingal trail re-opened. Of course I also wish I wasn't so old and fat...

Top Bottom