Cutting Fallen Trees/Branches

TimBay

Hey,

Possibly dumb question. First off, fallen tree "features" are pretty obvious to me given all the strikes and wear on them. I was riding Huber last week and there was a pretty gnarly little tree with about 10 sq ft worth of vines attached blocking the trail very early on. My question is, if I see something like that can I cut it out of the trail, or will that get me (and the general biking community) in trouble? If not, should I just call the Monmouth Park system to take care of it? Note: I did not cut it down or do anything.

Thanks,
Tim

Hey,

Possibly dumb question. First off, fallen tree "features" are pretty obvious to me given all the strikes and wear on them. I was riding Huber last week and there was a pretty gnarly little tree with about 10 sq ft worth of vines attached blocking the trail very early on. My question is, if I see something like that can I cut it out of the trail, or will that get me (and the general biking community) in trouble? If not, should I just call the Monmouth Park system to take care of it? Note: I did not cut it down or do anything.

Thanks,
Tim

Not a dumb question at all

My humble advice

1) Don't clear anything if it involves,use of tools. According to the MCPS you need to take one of their classes to learn how to use a pair of hedge clippers, shovel or rake before doing any trail maintenance during their largely useless trail maintenance/ photo-op sessions. If you're in there with tools you probably could get it trouble. On the other hand since the MCPS staff clearly never inspect the condition of the trails the chance of getting caught is probably slim. Stil best to not use tools

2) if you can move it or create a "go around" with your own two hands and feet please do so. Please!

3) marvel at how the "go around" that you had to create has now become the official trail

Or if it's too big / hard to do:

1) call MCPS

2) incessantly bitch on here about the complete lack of response by MCPS to clear their trails

3) curse at the MCPS every time you have to pick up your bike to get over the obstruction over the next few months until MCPS finally gets around to clearing the object that is completely obstructing a trail in one of their heavily used parks

At least that's what I would do

Last edited:
I know the exact tree that the OP is referencing in Huber and there is already a go-round in the process of being worn in.... be careful though, I took it last weekend and caught two HUGE thorns in my front tire.

Oh, the Monmouth parks' rules...
Take the class, and get your official volunteer card.

Until then, what Wonderturtle said, which is "don't get caught using tools."

As long as it ain’t New York or you’ll become a felon like me

The Keyser Soze of trail maintenance.

As a practical matter, if you have a small folding saw in your pack and carefully look around nothing bad will happen.

NOTE: I did not do anything.

The Keyser Soze of trail maintenance.

As a practical matter, if you have a small folding saw in your pack and carefully look around nothing bad will happen.

NOTE: I did not do anything.

@thegock 's definition of a "folding saw" ?
885911262330lg.jpg

I'm sure it's happened, but in all my years of riding, I can't recall seeing a park employee on a trail. Though plenty of Morris County Park Police on the roads... On the other hand, I've seen logs down for months. I can't imagine that a folding Silky saw will get you into any trouble. Do be aware that anything elevated can pose extreme risks to your well being.

The somerset park maintenance people have been very responsive. Just get the info to the right people.
Which i think is one of the "bigger" issues.

I'd say it definitely depends on the park. I've done some amount of impromptu trail maintenance when riding at Pennypack in Philly, but most of the trails we ride were built by bikers for biking and aren't really maintained by the park staff. Anything we can tackle with a folding hand-saw (one guy I ride with usually has one) is fair game. There are a few guys with more "official license" from the park to do maintenance and they'll tackle bigger jobs if power tools are required.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The last time I saw huge downed trees deep on the trails there around THanksgiving, they were cut out two days later. Yeah, I intend to take classes and volunteer to help maintain the trails. I've been thinking of trying to bug the parks system, Middletown and see if I could get one of the LBS to maybe sponsor some serious maintenance and trail/feature building maybe at hartshorne. Would be cool to have some track like you see on GMBN out here. Maybe petition to cut a little bike-only run somewhere. I'll pop it right there in the old dream journal. lol.

see if I could get one of the LBS to maybe sponsor some serious maintenance and trail/feature building maybe at hartshorne.
There used to be a lbs that built trails there, they where asked to leave. The park system is not interested in an outside party coming in to do trail maintenance.
I'm not saying not to ask MCPS if it would be possible for an outside group to provide TM , what I will say is if you do ask, suggest Jorba. They are more experienced with providing TM in county and state parks.

There used to be a lbs that built trails there, they where asked to leave. The park system is not interested in an outside party coming in to do trail maintenance.
I'm not saying not to ask MCPS if it would be possible for an outside group to provide TM , what I will say is if you do ask, suggest Jorba. They are more experienced with providing TM in county and state parks.
Speaking of JORBA....
JORBA Membership

JORBA does a ton of stuff for MTB's in NJ, from advocacy to trail maintenance.

Yeah but even having them donate some money toward materials and whatever and they could set up a little shop that day with odds and ends and use the event to promote their store. I know it would be tough to get anything going. Also involving the town for resources could be good. They can push the park system. Middletown is the largest town in the county after all and they govern navesink where the trails mostly are.

Back
Top Bottom