Cushetunk->RV: 6/1 @ 6:15 - Casual Pace!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Meet up around 6:15, and roll out of the lot at 6:30

Parking lot: https://goo.gl/maps/z7VumcqBiJr
If it is full (haha), there is a small lot on the other side of the tracks.

It is never a beginners' ride at RV, unless you want people not to talk to you anymore - so let's call it a low-intermediate skill, casual pace, all uphill ride.

No drop - we'll re-ride some of the rock sections. I'll bring some tape, and we'll mark some of the turns that are difficult to identify. Do a little trail maintenance if we find anything, and most importantly, get a handle on the trail system (there aren't that many!.)

Plan: Z-climb cush, hike-a-bike into RV, drop down to the red trail, and ride out to the pavillion.

I'm going to check conditions from Pickell Park to the Railroad lot - we may take the road back to Pickell, and explore the connecting trails. If not, we'll see how we feel, and decide on trail or campground road return. Maybe ride white (ridge trail) back.

2 hours should be more than enough.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do a little trail maintenance if we find anything,
I was there yesterday. It could use some pruning back of vegetation. Worst areas where section of trail from bottom of hike a bike on red heading toward the road crossing. That whole section of twisty trail is getting tight.

If you are heading toward Pavilion the other area is the last climb before long downhill, this area is always tight.

Finally the switch backs after the grass are filled with stickers that scratch your arms.

Maybe u should get an atv for this ride:)

Patrick

Staff member
I was there yesterday. It could use some pruning back of vegetation. Worst areas where section of trail from bottom of hike a bike on red heading toward the road crossing. That whole section of twisty trail is getting tight.

If you are heading toward Pavilion the other area is the last climb before long downhill, this area is always tight.

Finally the switch backs after the grass are filled with stickers that scratch your arms.

Maybe u should get an atv for this ride:)

i was more worries about trees - will get the ankle and wrist biters some other time.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i was more worries about trees - will get the ankle and wrist biters some other time.
There were no trees down. One vine across trail ,6-8" diameter on one of climbs. I met some guy named Doug yesterday, he told me he had been doing a lot of the chain saw work.

Patrick

Staff member
Great ride with @i ride after 5 and @Oz Von Toco -

we felt the pain of climbing, the fun downhills, and explored the connecting trails back to cush from pickell park.

and a picture to prove it.

IMG_6696.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1016856205/

Patrick

Staff member
pretty good moving time, is the payphone at the end of the "Z" climb?

End of the Z climb is the 'saddle' that leads into RV - it has the downed tree, where going left stays on the ridge (cush white) and
going right is a dh to RV red (named the cushetunk trail to help clarify the difference) -

the payphone is located where we rode down to the water. we left the park via round valley road, and re-entered cush at pickell park.

the few road miles at 18mph pobably helped!

qclabrat

End of the Z climb is the 'saddle' that leads into RV - it has the downed tree, where going left stays on the ridge (cush white) and
going right is a dh to RV red (named the cushetunk trail to help clarify the difference) -

the payphone is located where we rode down to the water. we left the park via round valley road, and re-entered cush at pickell park.

the few road miles at 18mph pobably helped!
okay, think that's where Iggy also mentioned I should have made a right
did you guys make it up that steep section before the tree, cause that will take some major watts, was tired just pushing the bike
with these new directions, will go back next week

Patrick

Staff member
okay, think that's where Iggy also mentioned I should have made a right
did you guys make it up that steep section before the tree, cause that will take some major watts, was tired just pushing the bike
with these new directions, will go back next week

that is hike-a-bike for everyone - just try to make the first turn. slog up the steep, and hold on for the dh! it is "over the back tire" steep.

let me know if you'd like a guide.

Top Bottom