Cushetunk Mt Preserve Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Since conditions are the same as the RV conditions, let's use this thread to post anything specific to Cush.

---

Bear scat - thought it was horse, but on closer inspection.....(there were bells, and it smelled like pepper spray) - lower yellow between the second and third exit to the pipe/powerlines.

There is a tree down in the middle of middle yellow - hand saw size.

Need to do some trimming. The whips are bad.

Patrick

Staff member
Four trees down - 2 along lower yellow, 1 on the lower part of the climb before middle yellow, 1 on the reopened trail (is that red?)
One of them is serious - the others are just a bunch of work. also some scattered branches i didn't get all of them.

conditions were slushy snow over frozen leaves. not exactly the best for climbing, but worked ok everywhere else.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Four trees down - 2 along lower yellow, 1 on the lower part of the climb before middle yellow, 1 on the reopened trail (is that red?)
One of them is serious - the others are just a bunch of work. also some scattered branches i didn't get all of them.

conditions were slushy snow over frozen leaves. not exactly the best for climbing, but worked ok everywhere else.
You think RV is rideable? I'm doubting but will ask anyway

Patrick

Staff member
Trails are dry, and mostly clear of sticks. Lower yellow is blocked off because of trees down. If you don't want to carry the bike over/around large trees, go high right out of the lot.

Patrick

Staff member
1523557889598.png

Patrick

Staff member
there is an actual rut, almost 1/2" deep in lower yellow. it is subtle but there. just 1. it must have been really wet.
otherwise, it is all dried out now.

there is a tree down on yellow, just past the split to go to the cabin/car. it is floating about 3' in the air.
someone started to cut it out. i may go tomorrow.
there is a puddle on the climb up to the saddle right at that step-up. it is holding water. will try to revisit that too.

have at it!.

The restored yellow (or maybe red?) trail has been reblazed to blue.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
rode through cush today - there were a couple of soft spots on yellow, not horrible. trails are mostly leaf covered, and a bit damp,
but nothing that you would sink into, or mark, without skidding.

cush is north facing - and there was just a hint of snow. tree is still blocking lower yellow - it may not be there soon.

dropping into RV from the saddle - red to the cairn marking the return to cush white was primo. cush white was good - (top of the ridge yo)

as usual, the gravity was turned to 11. don't let that stop you.

IMG_3103.JPG

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Tree no longer blocking yellow. a few other interesting obstacles cleared while i was at it.

IMG_3107.JPG

couple of walkers, a hiker, a runner, and a couple with 3 dogs out on the trails today. no bikes.

Patrick

Staff member
there is a log floating across the first segment of yellow out of the lot.
don't think it will be there for long, but it will keep you from taking the
KOM on the segment.......f'g log.

Patrick

Staff member
Walked lower yellow and cleared out all the debris.
Trail is in great condition, except for the horse that did its thing a couple hundred yards from the lot.
could have knocked it off the trail, just wasn't up for poop patrol......

jklett

I still don't know the trail names but conditions were perfect this evening, I just wish that me legs were.

Patrick

Staff member
well, the knobs left a mark on a section of trail today - lowest spot of cush.
everything else was great. someone else went through with something less than a fatbike,
same result, except they were a skidder.

everything gunna be a'right....

someone cut out the only handlebar gate in the whole climb on blue (the restored section) jerk.

Patrick

Staff member
The connector trail from the powerlines to white (the bottom of the big climb) is now clear - just in case you approach/leave via pickell.

The climb is also clear of logs, but it is dry and loose, with leaves. Makes it harder to walk. ;)

Patrick

Staff member
noticed that the unrideable white trail along the ridge to the north of the saddle has a permanent 'trail closed' sign mounted a few feet up into the rocks.
wasn't there last weekish.

white, yellow, and blue back to the railroad lot are clear.

Robin

As expected, conditions were perfect today. Trails are matted down and easier to follow. Lots of hikers - Cush lot packed and forced to park across tracks but quiet once on trails.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions