Creating Trail Maps

ChrisRU

I'm looking to get some info on the best approach/easiest way to throw some trails a map that will look decent and be printable. I revisited @Norm's wiki guide, but what has changed since that was created? Are there any websites or tools that make the process easier? I know some of our frequent posters here have made some pretty impressive maps. @gtluke @soundz

1. Is it best to gather each separate trail as a separate gps file? lap? doesn't matter?
  2. Are there any free or inexpensive websites or software tools out there? Are you guys using photoshop or something else?
  3. What are you guys using for the base maps? I'd like to end up with a printable result. Doesn't have to be super high res but the effort isn't worth it if it will look like crap in the end.
Any other pointers would be appreciated!

gtluke

The Moped
This is a good resource once you get your lines laid down.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
To make the lines, I have been using google earth. It kinda blows, the controls are wonky but eventually you'll figure them out. maybe there's a youtube vid on that, or I can make one.
You can make different lines in different colors using it. One of my youtube vids shows how to lay down a base map if you have one that can get you started. Or just use the google earth satellite view or an existing gps file you recorded.
using the above link you can export your google earth as kml and import it into that site and it lays it down on whole bunch of different base maps.
Actually @axcxnj Aaron just made a real nice map for his adventure race, not sure how he did that one.

rlb

Try QGIS for software. You can download DEMs from USGS and generate your own elevation contours and a hillshade to use as a basemap.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are there any free or inexpensive websites or software tools out there? Are you guys using photoshop or something else?

I used Adobe Illustrator to draw these maps. While Photoshop can be used i guess, It is not really ideal. Photoshop is for editing photos and raster images. Illustrator is for creating and drawing vector graphics.

Took a screenshot of my route from GC, placed it into a new document, reduced the opacity to 30% then simply drew everything in by hand. Then added the typography and legends etc. When I was done, I ditched the screenshot layer.

The thing @rlb , suggested looks interesting...

Allaire-2010.jpg Lambertville Multi-Use Trail Map.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisRU

@gtluke, I've messed with gps visualizer in the past, i'll have to take a look at it again.

I'll be using a Garmin 800 to collect the tracks, so that's covered.

@capedoc, you drew the basemap too? That seems to be my biggest question mark right now, how to get a decent basemap to start with. I think I'd like to have topography on the base map. I don't have Illustrator or photoshop, but I get the layering technique. I'm guessing I could do this in any editing software that has decent layering and drawing tools?

I'll look into some of this stuff this weekend. Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@capedoc, you drew the basemap too? That seems to be my biggest question mark right now, how to get a decent basemap to start with. I think I'd like to have topography on the base map. I don't have Illustrator or photoshop, but I get the layering technique. I'm guessing I could do this in any editing software that has decent layering and drawing tools?

I'll look into some of this stuff this weekend. Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.

Yea I drew everything you see. Roads, water etc. It's all based off info from satellite images as well as standard maps. overlayed them as transparent layers and traced by hand. By recreating everything, it makes it more customizable in terms of colors and fills. Plus, now that it's in vector format, the resolution is infinite. (In the native files, not these exported .jpgs)

The one thing I can't create are contours. Like I said, the link RLB posted looks very interesting. I need to check that out.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I used Adobe Illustrator to draw these maps. While Photoshop can be used i guess, It is not really ideal. Photoshop is for editing photos and raster images. Illustrator is for creating and drawing vector graphics.

Took a screenshot of my route from GC, placed it into a new document, reduced the opacity to 30% then simply drew everything in by hand. Then added the typography and legends etc. When I was done, I ditched the screenshot layer.

The thing @rlb , suggested looks interesting...

This is what I did for Dickerson Mine Preserve and I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out.

Dickerson map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7uyi8xx2ptEM1ViR1EwR0NyUjA/view

I used to go the GIS route but found there to be far too much overhead for rendering clear, nice looking maps. A free alternative to Illustrator worth taking a look at is Inkscape.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
This is a good resource once you get your lines laid down.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
To make the lines, I have been using google earth. It kinda blows, the controls are wonky but eventually you'll figure them out. maybe there's a youtube vid on that, or I can make one.
You can make different lines in different colors using it. One of my youtube vids shows how to lay down a base map if you have one that can get you started. Or just use the google earth satellite view or an existing gps file you recorded.
using the above link you can export your google earth as kml and import it into that site and it lays it down on whole bunch of different base maps.
Actually @axcxnj Aaron just made a real nice map for his adventure race, not sure how he did that one.

While we didnt personally make the maps, we worked closely with the NYARA map maker. He is an orienteerer who has access to a few different programs for map making. they did come out fantastic though.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used the Norm technique in Photoshop. As Capers indicated Illustrator is better since its vector based and you can blow it up to be 1000' without losing any quality and the lines will generally be smoother. But I think PS is fine for printing on sheets of paper and viewing online. Illustrator pen skills take a bit of research to learn. If you ever hope to integrate with Google Earth or Open Maps some other GIS apps you'll probably be better off using one of those GIS apps.

rlb

@soundz brings up a good point on integrating with other software down the line. You're starting with something that's in "coordinate space" (GPX files with lag/long) and ideally you want to preserve that aspect for future use. For example, a new trail is cut and you want to accurately add it to the map.

However it's not easy to stay in coordinate space unless you have a fairly robust GIS software, which is why I suggested QGIS. I've never actually used it since I work with other GIS software on a daily basis, but i've heard it is very powerful.

The other challenge is to strike a balance between software you can use and software that can create a nice map. This also brings up the question of whether or not you want to cartoon your data to make a nicer/more legible map.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
I used Google Earth to gather the tracks then exported the images into Microsoft Design (Read Illustrator ripoff), and hand drew layers. A lot of work I doubt I'll be continuing with. Mostly focused on making everything digital and accessible on mobile. Mostly using backcountry Navigator Pro.

ChrisRU

bump. Still kinda working this.

If I drop a pin to note a landmark on my garmin 800 while recording a track, is there a way to extract or view the pins on GPS visualizer or google maps? @gtluke?

Top Bottom