Creaks, strains and arthritis

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Lifting weights is a good idea, but you have to be careful and take it slow to start and by all means get some help if you've never done it before (!!!!) I am living proof that not knowing the difference between "pushing through the discomfort" and "pushing through pain" is critical.

Before I ever rode a bike, I was a bodybuilder for about a dozen years and I will be paying the tax bill on that for the rest of my life - I have tendinitis that flares up in both elbows and my wrists from time to time, and my shoulders are just a lost cause that this point. I spent years doing the kind of no-rest, high-intensity workouts that people do today but I never had any focus on form like most people do now. I think people who start lifting today are much better off than when I started because there really wasn't the focus on functional movements the way there is today. I basically had to learn from other people int eh gym and by using the Schwarzenegger manual. I used to think that if I was hurting, that was okay because it made a lift that much more impressive if it hurt to do it. Nowadays, that kind of thinking is caveman shit and no one should ever fall into that.

So I agree with folks who are saying get into a gym, but do yourself a favor and have someone help you get started. Even if you've lifted before, get some guidance when you go back to it - there have been a lot of advances in thinking around what makes a good workout today, and a big part of that is making sure that you don't fall into the same traps idiots like me fell into when we started years ago.

Gnick

Lifting weights is a good idea, but you have to be careful and take it slow to start and by all means get some help if you've never done it before (!!!!) I am living proof that not knowing the difference between "pushing through the discomfort" and "pushing through pain" is critical.

Before I ever rode a bike, I was a bodybuilder for about a dozen years and I will be paying the tax bill on that for the rest of my life - I have tendinitis that flares up in both elbows and my wrists from time to time, and my shoulders are just a lost cause that this point. I spent years doing the kind of no-rest, high-intensity workouts that people do today but I never had any focus on form like most people do now. I think people who start lifting today are much better off than when I started because there really wasn't the focus on functional movements the way there is today. I basically had to learn from other people int eh gym and by using the Schwarzenegger manual. I used to think that if I was hurting, that was okay because it made a lift that much more impressive if it hurt to do it. Nowadays, that kind of thinking is caveman shit and no one should ever fall into that.

So I agree with folks who are saying get into a gym, but do yourself a favor and have someone help you get started. Even if you've lifted before, get some guidance when you go back to it - there have been a lot of advances in thinking around what makes a good workout today, and a big part of that is making sure that you don't fall into the same traps idiots like me fell into when we started years ago.

yea - im definitely not advising bodybuilding is a good idea to become a better rider and reduce aches and pains. going into a "gym" in most instances is a bad idea I think. a good personal trainer is ideal (my wife is one), but most are bad. You can learn a lot just by reading books on the subject (not musclemags). In most instances bodyweight training is enough. Pushups, pullups, airsquats will all improve your overall health. the sad part is that most of our society can barely squat themselves off the toilet, when just a little focus on maintaining strength as you get older will significantly improve quality of life.

The Kalmyk

yea - im definitely not advising bodybuilding is a good idea to become a better rider and reduce aches and pains. going into a "gym" in most instances is a bad idea I think. a good personal trainer is ideal (my wife is one), but most are bad. You can learn a lot just by reading books on the subject (not musclemags). In most instances bodyweight training is enough. Pushups, pullups, airsquats will all improve your overall health. the sad part is that most of our society can barely squat themselves off the toilet, when just a little focus on maintaining strength as you get older will significantly improve quality of life.

Yeah no body buuilding... you want strength training.

qclabrat

My finger joints pretty bad in the mornings, but not rest of the day. Should I start taking precautions? If so what?

A few years back, my eastern doctor told me to quit beer and hard liquor, though moderate wine drinking was fine for the joint pains. Maybe you should try...

qclabrat

Yeah, my PT has pulled out my favorite exercises like benching and pull ups due to the mess in my shoulders. There's plenty you can do to strengthen joints with no or limited weights. More recently I've been following some exercises from my former neighbor's son who dabbles in personal training. Here's his channel on the web: https://www.youtube.com/user/vicsnatural.
A super nice guy who makes a lot more money trading securities than this, but loves the science of fitness.

Gnick

Yeah, my PT has pulled out my favorite exercises like benching and pull ups due to the mess in my shoulders. There's plenty you can do to strengthen joints with no or limited weights. More recently I've been following some exercises from my former neighbor's son who dabbles in personal training. Here's his channel on the web: https://www.youtube.com/user/vicsnatural.
A super nice guy who makes a lot more money trading securities than this, but loves the science of fitness.
bench pressing is a bad exercise in general, especially for shoulders. pullups are probably one of the best things you can do for your shoulders though. Also - that dude is in incredible shape, but he is a body builder for sure.

qclabrat

bench pressing is a bad exercise in general - pullups are probably one of the best things you can do for your shoulders though.

pull ups are a terror to my shoulder impingements, but if I don't space my hands too far apart, pullups are possible. Also lighter weight inclined dumbbell presses and flies have helped the shoulder strength and slimmed the man boobs

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
At what age do I have to start worrying about complaining about stuff life this?

Regardless, typical response will be that there is a drug for that.

5 years older than you are now?

For me, I've been blessed with good genes, or I'm not riding hard enough, or both.

I was doing chin ups with my legs out, that really helped my back core etc, I need to get back to them.

I've been stretching regularly 3x's a weel for the last 10 yr or so. I think this really helps. I basically do bicycle stretches found on you tube.

Tumeric is good.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
pull ups are a terror to my shoulder impingements, but if I don't space my hands too far apart, pullups are possible. Also lighter weight inclined dumbbell presses and flies have helped the shoulder strength and slimmed the man boobs
I've had numerous injuries from ego lifting in my 20's to the point where my shoulder sounds like rice krispies on crack, I tore my ACL playing pickup football and the best thing I can recommend is stretching. I read a book by Kelly Starrett called Ready to Run and it changed everything. I was always sidelined at least once a year training for obstacle courses due to my knee but maintenance stretching has kept me in the game all year around. I still do plenty of strength training because weights are my first love but that has also morphed away from body building. Another program I would recommend hands down is Insanity, the original and Sports Asylum. The plyometrics coupled with ridiculous cardio is awesome for your whole body. Just go at your own pace and build up, even the the guy who designed the program has to stop periodically to rest.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Benching, pull-ups, curls, rows, all the traditional weight lifting excersizes are not bad for you as long as you vary your grip, keep your form strict, and keep the reps high. I've been doing them my entire life, the only reason my shoulders are screwed is from hitting the ground hard too many tomes.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
shoulder problems happen to active men - it isn't just lifting. tennis, racquetball, swinging a golf club.
had surgery on my right from RB - and it is much better, now my left is showing signs of weakness.

i like the motion based kettle bell stuff - i'm not doing it, it just looks right. train movements rather than muscles...???

heard turmeric is good - but is being a bit sore a bad thing? masking pain/injury to keep going can't be right.

---

on overweight america - most people don't know they are only 6 weeks away from a completely different life if they could commit to it.

Gnick

shoulder problems happen to active men - it isn't just lifting. tennis, racquetball, swinging a golf club.
had surgery on my right from RB - and it is much better, now my left is showing signs of weakness.

i like the motion based kettle bell stuff - i'm not doing it, it just looks right. train movements rather than muscles...???

heard turmeric is good - but is being a bit sore a bad thing? masking pain/injury to keep going can't be right.

---

on overweight america - most people don't know they are only 6 weeks away from a completely different life if they could commit to it.
KB's are the shit. i go through cycles of strictly KB training and it is demanding both from a strength and cardiovascular standpoint. takes a little time to master the movements though.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
it.
Riding everyday masks pain, just don't stop for more than two days because you will be in a world of hurt.

Top Bottom